Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

Always going to be a contentious argument but given the amount of games he's been given to perform, it's hard to argue against him being one of, if not THE worst signing we've made (and let's be honest, that's an accolade that has many candidates!). Balaban and Kachloul were never given the game time that N'Zogbia has hence the theory that he has been a worser signing. Whether those two were ever worth the game time is another argument but N'Zogbia has been given it and has never really justified it with the little he's given on the pitch. My only concern is when he signed many Villa fans wanted him much in the same way that many of us are fast warming to the signing of Adebayor....let's hope we have more luck this time if it happens!

• Like 1

... has not lived up to his wadges.

All these French signings have you speaking like 'Allo 'Allo :)

you sir, have won the internet. That's the best post I think I have ever read. Still laughing 20 minutes later.

• Like 1

Probably the worst signing we've ever made.

Who's that player Brian Little signed to play as a no.10. He was a disaster, as was djemba djemba and Ireland

Edited by PaulC

The worst signing for me was Sylla. Just because he looked like a Conference player being played in the Premier League. Balaban is different because he clearly had talent and showed it for other clubs and country, just not for us. Sylla though looked exactly like what level he came from. Bizarre.

You can't compare Balaban and Nzogbia in what they were paid/cost etc. It was a different time, almost a 15 year difference. Money in the Premier League has changed dramatically in that time.

I agree you can't.

But one thing you can draw comparison is the cost of players relative to our spending at said times.

When we signed Balaban he was one of 3 players signed in that window for over £5m, so in the market at that time I think it is fair to say that it was in keeping with our spending and not a huge outlay.

By comparison we paid £9.5m for N'Zogbia which was completely out of keeping with our spending at that time bringing in people like Given and Jenas. Its also completely out of keeping with our spending for the 3 following seasons and matched only now following the cash injection from the sale of Benteke.

It was terrible terrible business which is why I consider it to be our worst signing.

• Like 2

Sasa Curcic?

Yes has to be worse than Nzog who has at least put in the occasional good performance

4 mil fee and 11 grand a week wages was a lot in those days. 

Edited by PaulC

The worst signing for me was Sylla. Just because he looked like a Conference player being played in the Premier League. Balaban is different because he clearly had talent and showed it for other clubs and country, just not for us. Sylla though looked exactly like what level he came from. Bizarre.

The thing is we signed so many of these type of players over the last 5 years, it's frightening. Sylla, Dawkins, Bowery, Luna etc. players who we're fit to wear the claret and blue. No wonder why these last 5 years have been so hellish.

The thing is we signed so many of these type of players over the last 5 years, it's frightening. Sylla, Dawkins, Bowery, Luna etc. players who we're fit to wear the claret and blue. No wonder why these last 5 years have been so hellish.

On the plus side, they were all signed for peanuts and were "young and hungry" enough not to wait around picking up their pay cheque whilst sitting on the bench.

I think that was a big part of our transfer policy after the MON days which left us with highly paid veterans happy to see out their time on the sidelines and take up wages.

Worst player? Maybe, certainly a contender but lets not forget Boulding.

But a player that cost £250k can't go down as our worst signing in my view.

When we signed Balaban he was one of 3 players signed in that window for over £5m, so in the market at that time I think it is fair to say that it was in keeping with our spending and not a huge outlay.

Madness. In consumer price inflation terms, £5m then would equal £8m today. In football inflation terms, it'd be more than that. Comparable fee, all things considered.

N'Zogbia is a poor player, no question. I'd love to see him gone. But there's a reason he's played 50 times for us and Balaban only played 5 or 10 times for us. It's because Balaban was way, way, way out of his league. N'Zogbia has been poor, better suited to the Championship, but not a million miles out of his league.

... has not lived up to his wadges.

All these French signings have you speaking like 'Allo 'Allo :)

you sir, have won the internet. That's the best post I think I have ever read. Still laughing 20 minutes later.

check out the box to box midfielder gag on the Veretout thread.  Sorry Brian I love you like a person Ive never met and only conversed with on Villa talk,  but your comment doesnt beat the box to box midfielder

Worst player? Maybe, certainly a contender but lets not forget Boulding.

But a player that cost £250k can't go down as our worst signing in my view.

especially when we sold him for more

On the plus side, they were all signed for peanuts and were "young and hungry" enough not to wait around picking up their pay cheque whilst sitting on the bench.

I think that was a big part of our transfer policy after the MON days which left us with highly paid veterans happy to see out their time on the sidelines and take up wages.

Basically you usually get what you pay for, and Lambert was given a much reduced budget. We should remember that it's also thanks to Lambert that we had a Benteke to sell this summer.  It's much easier to find gems in the £10m area than in the £2m area but on the few occasions when he was given a decent few quid to spend, he did well with it.  The ifs and buts are pointless now though.  Would Lambert have done well with Sherwood's budget?  Probably.  But we'll never know because his eventual style of play meant he didn't get the chance.

• Like 1

Madness. In consumer price inflation terms, £5m then would equal £8m today. In football inflation terms, it'd be more than that. Comparable fee, all things considered.

That reply has no relation to my post.

Â