Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I respect anyone's opinions to a extent (if any of you said we are going to win the league this year I'd send for the men in white suits) alas, the idea of relegation is not completely behold the realms of possibility however I think we will be more thanffine.

For the last 2 years we've gone into the 37th game of the season not 100% safe.

The three promoted teams have spent some money and QPR the only team we finished above still in the prem have improved their team.

We seem to have improved our defence but without improving our attacking options I don't see how we won't be down there yet again.

Better manager. I know you couldn't rate either Houllier or McLeish any lower and also rate Lambert very highly (as do I).

I agree Lambert is better than those two clowns. I think he'll improve lots of areas of the team, I'm just unsure if he alone is enough to get us scoring the goals we'll need to stay well clear.

Well if McLeish can keep us up with a worse squad, why can't a much much better manager in Lambert keep us easily away from relegation?

Logically he should but since when has football ever been that simple? I'm just thinking of comparisons of this seasons squad and last seasons and the loan signing of Keane sprang to mind. His contribution turned out to be crucial!

The squad has imrpoved since then, albeit not by a great deal.

That's arguable. We've replaced a lot of experience with a lot of untested (Premiership) players. I'd say, as it stands, that we're a little weaker actually.

Lowton, Clark, Baker, Weimann and Gardner look like they'll be playing a bit and have relatively little first team experience - never mind Premiership.

If Dunne, Hutton and Warnock go I strongly believe we need a few Premiership experienced players in to replace them.

I was wondering where we'd rank in the Premiership based on number of Premiership appearances of a starting XI on the first day of this season. I'd wager it'd be amongst lowest in Premiership - maybe beating likes on Southampton and Reading alone? Given, Ireland, N'Zogbia and Bent the only ones with over 20 starts I'm guessing!

I'm not quite panicking yet, but we do need some decent investment before September 1st.

We're only weaker if you place Premier League experience above all else. While it's important, it's also hideously overrated IMO. People make out that it's the most important thing a player can have. Funnily enough our worst players last season (mainly our defence) also happened to be some of our most experienced.

Our squad as a whole is weaker than last season in my opinion, losing Petrov is a big loss for starters and we will have nothing on the bench for when injuries/suspentions hit.

If we can bring in a few more players in the next week or so then I might feel better but as it stands we are going to struggle again.

We wont have a problem staying up, as long as our squad is strengthened.

Everyone is going on about Warnock,Hutton and Dunne,that they should be got rid of BUT what most people are forgetting is that they may not be very good but they have a go.The first player to go should be Zog as he is not interested at all ( replace him with Ince from Blackpool ) then get a few more players in.Get rid of Hutton etc, next season when we already have more depth and experiance.

Even allowing for the fact that, by and large, Villa fans are way out on their own in terms of pessimism and their willingness to be miserable, the sheer nosedive that the general optimism seems to have taken after one solitary competitive game is surely a new record even for us. I'm saddened and to be honest a little frustrated that we can't even seem to give a manager most of us had fairly high on our wanted list a bit more than one game before we start slitting our proverbial wrists and writing the season off.

We wont have a problem staying up, as long as our squad is strengthened.

Everyone is going on about Warnock,Hutton and Dunne,that they should be got rid of BUT what most people are forgetting is that they may not be very good but they have a go.The first player to go should be Zog as he is not interested at all ( replace him with Ince from Blackpool ) then get a few more players in.Get rid of Hutton etc, next season when we already have more depth and experiance.

Totally agree with these comments, we will be relegated if we let these go and do not replace with fully commited players however talented they are.

Even allowing for the fact that, by and large, Villa fans are way out on their own in terms of pessimism and their willingness to be miserable, the sheer nosedive that the general optimism seems to have taken after one solitary competitive game is surely a new record even for us. I'm saddened and to be honest a little frustrated that we can't even seem to give a manager most of us had fairly high on our wanted list a bit more than one game before we start slitting our proverbial wrists and writing the season off.

It is sad, I hoped this Saturday at Villa Park would be buzzing with optimism that has been missed for all too long. A good positive atmosphere can really help but I think it'll be very anticlimactic. Shame.

Agreed, but it's VT. What did you expect?

I think the McLeish effect hasn't worn off yet. Although we all wanted him gone and most agree that he is a shit manager and I think the fact that he had us down close to relegation last season has convinced people that we must be in for the same again.

Agreed, but it's VT. What did you expect?

True. I expected precisely what I'm reading, but it's still disappointing at the same time.

I think the McLeish effect hasn't worn off yet. Although we all wanted him gone and most agree that he is a shit manager and I think the fact that he had us down close to relegation last season has convinced people that we must be in for the same again.
It's the McLeish effect that made me think this time it would be different. That we'd been through such a bad season that anyone would've been given some time. But no, we get a lot of peoples' top choice and one of the most promising young managers in the British game and we give him one **** game. As I said, even for Villa fans, that's fairly low.

Of corse we are going to stay up,no question.

For a start we are stronger at the back already and we can keep the ball.On top of that I expect us to improve on last weeks effort.

I think what is getting to most people is that they expected a win against WHU.If we had of played Liverpool,Newcastle or Man City and lost everything would be ok.

The first two I would sell are NZogbia & Ireland

They are both frauds

Complete red herrings

Serious question

Why are all youre posts like this

Short sentences

Devoid of punctuation

I don't see many people writing off Lambert.

The optimism has changed in some because no matter how good lambert is its pretty obvious he needs to be backed and allowed to bring in some quality players. That might happen but it's certainly not guaranteed.

The first game just showed that the major issue of not creating enough is still a major issue and just having a good manager isn't going to completely change that.

I still think villa park will be buzzing Saturday.

I'm still surprised that after the last two years people are shocked that some fans aren't pleased.

The optimism has changed in some because no matter how good lambert is its pretty obvious he needs to be backed and allowed to bring in some quality players. That might happen but it's certainly not guaranteed.

The first game just showed that the major issue of not creating enough is still a major issue and just having a good manager isn't going to completely change that.

I'm still surprised that after the last two years people are shocked that some fans aren't pleased.

And yet people have been in this downbeat mood for weeks. The transfer window isn't even over yet.

The first two I would sell are NZogbia & Ireland

They are both frauds

Complete red herrings

Serious question

Why are all youre posts like this

Short sentences

Devoid of punctuation

I've noticed this

As well

Although he does seemingly start each line with a capital letter

Yet never ends with a full stop

And yet people have been in this downbeat mood for weeks. The transfer window isn't even over yet.

It's true.

But the whole sell to buy hasn't made me think we will bring in quality in positions we need.