Rino8

The transfer guru Edwards is leaving at the end of the season, that is huge news. Probably the main reason the recruitment has been so good and was the man ripping off gullible teams for crap like Brewster and Solanke

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Salah wants £500k a week apparently. 

That's Ronaldo money.

Strange opinion of himself that chap.

As my old Gran used to say he must be a few screws short of a hardware store if he thinks Liverpool will even come close to that amount

There's only 2 clubs in the world that pay that kind of money

Barca are broke because of it and PSG have better players than him already 

And I don't believe the Sunday mirror to be true but it would show the stupidity of footballers and their agents, he's got 2 years left on his £200k a week deal, he's 29, the top earner there is VVD on £220k "I want £500k" is going to get laughed at, there's no justification for the jump 

Edited by villa4europe

https://dean-magazine.ghost.io/the-cold-dead-world-of-the-extremely-online-liverpool-fan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

There’s a gross sense of entitlement pulsing through all this: That as fans we somehow deserve new players and success. The implication being that fans of the clubs we buy the players from and defeat along the way don’t deserve nice things as much.

Again, there’s a capitalist critique to be made here. A mindset exists that demands a football club exist only to win and to consume. The players are commodities and the esteem they are held in must equate to how useful they are to the machine. Once a player ceases to be useful, whether through loss of form or injury, they become of less worth than the dopamine hit of a new transfer. Karl Marx’s concept of commodity fetishism—relationships between people being seen as relationships between things—helps us understand this perception.

I’m actually reminded of Gamergate. Football, like videogames, is mainstream culture, but buried in its darkest depts are very angry young men. They are prone to spreading conspiracy theories—journalists who don’t think like them are said to be accepting money from the club; the accounts showing we’ve the second highest payroll in the league are deemed to be cooked. There’s also a vile misogynistic element directed at Linda Pizzuti Henry, FSG shareholder and wife of the company’s principle owner, John W. Henry. Everyone operates anonymously.

It’s a very fatalistic way of viewing football, right? Being interested in Liverpool enough to dedicate your social media presence to the club, yet not being able to find any joy in it. What a cold existence. If social media can be called an artificial world then their fandom feels artificial, their experience completely detached from the club itself. It’s cold and sterile and none of the club’s most attractive elements—such as history, tradition, and the city itself—are celebrated. It was an emotional time when we won the league. When I look at LFC Twitter, I don’t always see the emotion. These fans might present online as fans, but it’s a poor impression.

Now, back to the sworded topic of the ownership, because I know people will call me an “FSG apologist”—a stupid expression—and this article just an attempt to delegitimize their “FSG Out” movement (such as it is). Here’s the thing: unlike most people who call for the ownership to leave, I actually have a vision for what I’d like an FSG-less version of Liverpool to look like: fan-owned. I’ve never wanted the club in the hands, and subject to the whims, of a billionaire.

Still, I would consider myself in line with most Liverpool fans: I’ve no affection for FSG, but see them as relatively responsible owners who have overseen the development of the club off the pitch and success on the pitch without acting in a manner that would put it in the kind of peril we experienced before their arrival. To put things really simply, if on the day they bought the club you’d offered me a Champions League and Premier League win within a decade, I’d have taken it.

Their tenure has had its lows: they’ve been forced to rollback on furloughing staff, ticket price hikes, and the European Super League—though rollback they did. Communication could be better too if they want to retain full support from the fans—it would be nice if every time we heard from Henry, he wasn’t **** apologizing for something. (Extremely online fans will occasionally pay lip service to these incidents, but it feels performative in the highest order. Many were hilariously transparent about this by admitting after the European Super League saga that they’d forgive them if they bought Kylian Mbappe or whoever.) Could FSG speculate to accumulate a little more, especially to help plug the Covid-induced gap in the club’s finances? Sure. But with these missteps, I’m reminded of the two Ps: Proportion and perspective.

Young people brought up on reality TV tend to boil the world down to a tidy binary choice of “In” and “Out”—including matters as incredible complex as club ownership. With this outlook, it’s impossible to be critical, even skeptical, of FSG without coming down on one side of a too simplistic question: “Are you ‘FSG In’ or ‘FSG Out’?” Even the phrasing of this question is very weird. Surely a more accurate query would be, “Do you want FSG in or FSG out?” Instead, supporting the owners or not supporting the owners must be part of your identity as a fan. There’s no room for nuance in this framing. And it doesn’t cover what should be the most obvious question: If not FSG, then what? Without an offer on the table a new owner is strictly hypothetical. When you ask a person with #FSGOUT in their profile the very obvious question of who or what do they want in the owners’ place, their answer is usually as soft as “someone who will do [all the things they want personally]”. 

There’s also the plain simple adage of better the devil you know. There’s no such thing as an ethical billionaire, but, as much as it pains me to say this, I’ll take the capitalists over the oligarchs or nation states sportswashing away their terrible crimes. Personally, I think being successful with a self-sustaining model is something to be proud of—a fan-owned Liverpool would be run with no profit-making element whatsoever. Because of extremely rich people funnelling massive amounts of money into rival clubs for their own nefarious reasons, owners are now expected to invest vast fortunes of their own personal wealth. Good luck finding someone willing to plunder huge sums into Liverpool with no hope of a return for purposes that aren’t evil. And you don’t have to look far to find clubs who’ve suffered from truly horrendous ownerships. Liverpool fans of a certain age (and when I say that I mean those of us that can remember 2010) know this to be true. Local supporters ran probably the most successful campaign to oust an owner in modern English football history. No anti-FSG campaign will ever truly take off without the backing of groups like fan union Spirit of Shankly, no matter how loud online fans are.

These can be interesting topics to talk about and think about, but there’s little point getting into the debate on Twitter. Extremely online fans don’t really understand how the club is run and don’t want to learn incase a little bit of knowledge contradicts their worldview. Nobody is going to look at the publicly available accounts if they show that John Henry doesn’t actually spend transfer money on new yachts. This is a faction of people that like picking entirely random players from across Europe and get blame FSG for not signing them. One day I made the mistake of trying to explain to a guy what it would mean for the club to be fan-owned and he replied with some non sequitur about Top Reds giving Adrian a 10-year contract. None of this is grounded in reality.

Interesting (long) piece. Guess all clubs have the same online fan dynamics to some extent.

• Like 3

Talking about Liverpool fans, I was reading an article on F365 about our game with Chelsea the other day, and one of the small number of comments underneath said 'both dreadful teams, Liverpool FC smash both these sides with Jurgen looking on beautiful grin on his face and the greatest fans ever in the Kop roaring Mo Mo and Sadio on to victory once again #YNWA #justice4klopp', which is objectively very funny IMO.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Weird bunch

They drew with Chelsea like 3 weeks ago 

Was gonna say it will be good to see them finish 4th some way off the top spot but in reality other than the 2 games vs us I won't watch them this season 

ten man Chelsea at Anfield

• Like 2

11 hours ago, a m ole said:

Didn’t realise Naby Keita’s contract runs out at the end of this season. We don’t have a chance, but imagine if we had a chance.

Don't think it is, is it?

He's got so much ability but just can't stay fit.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think it is, is it?

He's got so much ability but just can't stay fit.

The commentators suggested it was in the Liverpool game yesterday but it is the end of next season, my bad. They’re trying to sign him up to a new deal but always feels like he’s a back up and he’s far too good for that.

36 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The commentators suggested it was in the Liverpool game yesterday but it is the end of next season, my bad. They’re trying to sign him up to a new deal but always feels like he’s a back up and he’s far too good for that.

Is he? He hasn't been tearing up trees at Liverpool. They paid huge money for him. Feel like he's never had that breakthrough at Liverpool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Is he? He hasn't been tearing up trees at Liverpool. They paid huge money for him. Feel like he's never had that breakthrough at Liverpool.

To put it bluntly, yes. He’s had bad luck at Liverpool but the quality is there. He’d be a huge signing for anyone outside the top 4

26 minutes ago, a m ole said:

To put it bluntly, yes. He’s had bad luck at Liverpool but the quality is there. He’d be a huge signing for anyone outside the top 4

Ridiculous to say but he could be a half price Bissouma if we felt we still needed another CM/DM.

Big, big season for Liverpool - a big chunk of the title winning side are getting into the latter part of their careers and this is probably the last chance for this group to have a tilt at the title. This could be a season where Liverpool define if they'll be title challengers for the next couple of years, or one of the teams hoping to finish in the top four.

Thiago, Van Djik, Henderson, Matip, Firmino, Mane and Salah will all be the wrong side of thirty by the end of the season.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Big, big season for Liverpool - a big chunk of the title winning side are getting into the latter part of their careers and this is probably the last chance for this group to have a tilt at the title. This could be a season where Liverpool define if they'll be title challengers for the next couple of years, or one of the teams hoping to finish in the top four.

Thiago, Van Djik, Henderson, Matip, Firmino, Mane and Salah will all be the wrong side of thirty by the end of the season.

Robertson won't be far off either. That's nearly their whole starting 11. Big rebuild coming for them in two or three years and I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp didn't stay for it. Could easily fall down the pecking order if they're not careful. 

Â