Rino8

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think Klopp just needs  a break. The amount of energy taken to win the league must have been incredible and this season has been one big letdown. Losing his mum to covid and not even being able to go the funeral must be tough.

Apparently he could have went but he had to isolate for a week after, so it was kind of his choice not to go.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Apparently he could have went but he had to isolate for a week after, so it was kind of his choice not to go.

Yeah he could 

He would have to isolate for 10 days after and take 3 tests but he could travel if he really wanted to

Family death, living here and working here are all permitted for travel 

The last 2/3 yrs they were very lucky with injuries barely getting any, especially to key players. The likes of Mane and Salah played so many games including African nations. They were always going to drop off. 
I also think some of it comes from Klopps arrogance. They made one major signing in the summer. Thiago (someone  who doesn’t seem to fit their system anyway). As champions they should’ve added more. Another top quality forward and a top quality centre back. You never stop improving your squad. Fergie was the master at it, always knew when to improve and when to get rid of players despite them winning.

Its a combination of all things really. The van dijk injury means they are vunerable at the back especially when they play the high press. They achieved 97 and 98 points the previous two seasons and it was always going to be hard to maintain that. The form of Mane and Firminho, no crowds less intensity. Unless they have a complete collapse they will still be in the champions league quarters. Next season will be the key for them. Pep had a dip last season and has come back strong. Klopp will need to do something simlilar at liverpool 

The Van Dijk injury has been the main problem but it's really been compounded by further injuries to their defenders. Having to play midfielders at center half is never ideal, even if they do a decent job, it still leaves you weaker in midfield. With a weaker midfield they've not been able to press as much or as well and that has a knock on effect to how they want to attack.

They've drafted in a couple of defenders in January, but Klopp often likes to bed players in before bringing them in to the first team and he's simply not had a choice in this case.

They've been lucky with injuries in the past, but unlucky now in that one position has been hit pretty hard this season.

If the downward spiral continues it will be interesting to see if Klopp sticks around, might be time for a break and then a new challenge.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Its a combination of all things really. The van dijk injury means they are vunerable at the back especially when they play the high press. They achieved 97 and 98 points the previous two seasons and it was always going to be hard to maintain that. The form of Mane and Firminho, no crowds less intensity. Unless they have a complete collapse they will still be in the champions league quarters. Next season will be the key for them. Pep had a dip last season and has come back strong. Klopp will need to do something simlilar at liverpool 

mm they played the high press with Van Dijk and shipped 7 at Villa Park. Van DIjk is being made to be the new Beckenbauer with this injury but the truth is he was found out after the lockdown break. City and Arsenal both exploited him near the end of last season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

mm they played the high press with Van Dijk and shipped 7 at Villa Park. Van DIjk is being made to be the new Beckenbauer with this injury but the truth is he was found out after the lockdown break. City and Arsenal both exploited him near the end of last season

😀 I knew you would respond with that, but I think he was the player that transformed Liverpool from an attractive team but not a winning one to a winning team, more than any other.  The final piece of the jigsaw if you like,. Beckenbaer was a midfield player turned sweeper so different players. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

😀 I knew you would respond with that, but I think he was the player that transformed Liverpool from an attractive team but not a winning one to a winning team, more than any other.  The final piece of the jigsaw if you like,. Beckenbaer was a midfield player turned sweeper so different players. 

He is a decent defender who hit a good bit of form for 18 months but he isnt more than that.  City destroyed them with him, Arsenal forced a few mistakes from him, never mind Jack and Watkins embarrassing him at VP

With Van Dijk they might have got 5 or 6 more points but its just an excuse. Weaknesses were there and Klopp wasnt humble enough to correct them. I think Liverpool is one of the oldest teams in the league

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is a decent defender who hit a good bit of form for 18 months but he isnt more than that.  City destroyed them with him, Arsenal forced a few mistakes from him, never mind Jack and Watkins embarrassing him at VP

With Van Dijk they might have got 5 or 6 more points but its just an excuse. Weaknesses were there and Klopp wasnt humble enough to correct them. I think Liverpool is one of the oldest teams in the league

I said one of the reasons but I think your opinion on him is wrong same as with Salah. 

15 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Van Dijk injury is a symptom, not the cause. They conceded 7 with Van Dijk against Villa. 

He’s still a brilliant defender and would be a major miss for any side. They’re basically missing their central defence. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He’s still a brilliant defender and would be a major miss for any side. They’re basically missing their central defence. 

No question. But I think if they had Van Dijk they would not be challenging for the title anyway. 

Â