Rino8

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I fail to see how its weak? All four teams in the champions league last 16. Probably as strong as its ever been in my view. 

Premier League leaders were beaten by the champions of Serbia and didnt have a shot on target in an away game in the group stage

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Premier League leaders were beaten by the champions of Serbia and didnt have a shot on target in an away game in the group stage

So, you're basing this judgement - that this is 'the weakest Premier League ever' - on one game? 

As opposed to the seasons when the titans of football like Swindon, Oldham, Bradford and so on were relentlessly destroying everything in their path, and the likes of Noel Whelan and John Salako bestrode the league like colossuses? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So, you're basing this judgement - that this is 'the weakest Premier League ever' - on one game? 

As opposed to the seasons when the titans of football like Swindon, Oldham, Bradford and so on were relentlessly destroying everything in their path, and the likes of Noel Whelan and John Salako bestrode the league like colossuses? 

Well Cardiff, Hudderfield, Burnley, Newcastle, Fulham, Southampton current teams would probably struggle in the Championship. So much shit in the top flight that Everton who are quite awful team despite spending about 100 million are 10th and 12 points from survival

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well Cardiff, Hudderfield, Burnley, Newcastle, Fulham, Southampton current teams would probably struggle in the Championship. So much shit in the top flight that Everton who are quite awful team despite spending about 100 million are 10th and 12 points from survival

It seems highly unlikely to me that Cardiff, who last year finished 2nd in the Championship and have only strengthened since then, would struggle in it now. I don't really believe that about Burnley, Newcastle or Fulham either to be honest. Maybe Huddersfield, if they couldn't buy a goalscorer. 

But in what year in the Premier League has it not been true that there are some teams that are below average? Answer: it hasn't, and it can't be. Obviously half of the teams have to finish in the bottom half of the table. 

The point I'm making here, is that the Premier League has increased its spending power enormously compared to the rest of the world during its lifetime. The consequence has been that even weak teams can afford the wages of very strong players. They will still finish in the bottom half, but they are stronger than ever before. This is the dynamic you would expect: the entire logic of going from amateur to professional, and subsequently of spending more on talent, is that you get more and better talent as a consequence. If you have some real evidence that this has not happened, I'd love to see it, but *one Champions League game* is not going to cut it. 

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

I'm quite confident that if Saints, Fulham or Newcastle had that squad in this league, they'd reach 100 points with games to spare. 

Looking forward to this mornings game. Will be the first time I'm going to watch a full game of football outside of Villa for an era.

I think the last time was the Champions League final Liverpool lost to Madrid. Salah goes off injured and Ramos comes out and says he could've continued.

I just couldn't believe I was seeing the same Jordan Henderson from Sunderland days captaining a Liverpool side in the CL final.

• Like 1

Weak/strong - when your spending £70-80m on defenders and goalkeepers - you should be up there.

Incredible achievement that liverpool have done it with home grown scousers, and astute bargains :)  

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Weak/strong - when your spending £70-80m on defenders and goalkeepers - you should be up there.

Incredible achievement that liverpool have done it with home grown scousers, and astute bargains :)  

but, but, but look at the net spend compared to the others (yeah because you got a quarter of a billion pounds for Coutinho and Suarez). I'm starting to get excited at them choking and missing out on all the trophies.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

but, but, but look at the net spend compared to the others (yeah because you got a quarter of a billion pounds for Coutinho and Suarez). I'm starting to get excited at them choking and missing out on all the trophies.

I dont mind them spending big. Its when the manager publicly states, to much applause that they wont get caught up in paying over the top fees for players........then go and do precisley that....and whats more theyve always done it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

If only was a way for both of them to suffer

Man Utd to beat Liverpool in the league, putting Man City top (a place they never lose), Van Dyke goes injured nothing serious but enough to knock Liverpool’s form.  Man Utd don’t win another game all season and finish out the top 4?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Man Utd to beat Liverpool in the league, putting Man City top (a place they never lose), Van Dyke goes injured nothing serious but enough to knock Liverpool’s form.  Man Utd don’t win another game all season and finish out the top 4?

Maybe a Fellaini goal so United then feel obliged to play him for the rest of the season to miss out on Top 4 ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â