Rino8

I'm no fan of Liverpool, I often find them quite a cringy club (the faux religious aspects of it), although I have at times admired their football.

But I dislike the sun even more, and it has very few redeeming features (I used to buy it when I was a kid), so I support Liverpool in this decision.  Here's hoping the rest of football follows and the sun dies.

On 2/10/2017 at 19:31, Xela said:

Victim FC

What the Sun did was outrageous but it was a long time ago.

Ordinarily I'd agree but The Sun has done more to poison the landscape of public discourse on every issue from politics to sport than any other 'newspaper' (if you can call it that). The more The Sun is marginalised the better.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2017 at 19:31, Xela said:

Victim FC

What the Sun did was outrageous but it was a long time ago.

Yes but the inquest wasn't.

The Sun despite the inquest findings have never apologised, therefore I can understand this step, what I can't understand is why it didn't happen years ago.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Dr_Pangloss So as not to go off topic in the Leechester thread.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Klopp is shite. 

He really isn't IMO.  That squad is paper thin.  Last night's bench for a Premier League game had a 17 year old (Woodburn), an 18 year old (Arnold) and an extremely underwhelming 24 year old (Stewart) on it.  Lucas was one of his centre backs and a central midfielder has proven to be his best leftback.  He hasn't got a dedicated striker he can rely upon either.  Yet he has that Liverpool squad within touching distance of everyone bar Chelsea.  Frankly I think it's a **** miracle.  He has had buttons to spend.  If he'd had what his immediate rivals had to spend, or had a squad with anything like the depth of United or City I'd wonder how much better he'd be doing.

• Like 4

Question is, why isn't Liverpool spending? I'd imagine they have plenty to spend. Plus they are on the cusp on champs league football again, so I would have imagined Klopp be given some cash in January, but that wasn't the case. Or it could have been Klopp not wanting to disrupt his current squad? Who knows, but they need depth as you mentioned @BOF 

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Question is, why isn't Liverpool spending?

Maybe it's related to them spending a ton on the ground to embiggen it, on having previously spent a ton and on their revenue being lower than the immediate rivals (due to the smaller ground, apart from Chelsea who have an owner of endless wealth).

Just now, Czechlad said:

Question is, why isn't Liverpool spending? I'd imagine they have plenty to spend. Plus they are on the cusp on champs league football again, so I would have imagined Klopp be given some cash in January, but that wasn't the case. Or it could have been Klopp not wanting to disrupt his current squad? Who knows, but they need depth as you mentioned @BOF 

I think it's something we've experienced.  American owners can often be a bit on the tight side with their dollars.

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

They've spent a fortune in recent years (not limited to Klopp era) I'm not sure I'd consider them to be a club not spending.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

They've spent a fortune in recent years (not limited to Klopp era) I'm not sure I'd consider them to be a club not spending.

Their net spend this season is negative (68 v 80). Net spend last season was 24m, so that's a squad investment of £12m per season.  In 14/15 they spent a relative net fortune (79m) pre-Klopp because they were losing Suarez.  The season before that was 23m.  But given the rarified air at the top of the Premier League, Liverpool spend nothing like their competition does.  They are not spending the way they need to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Their net spend this season is negative (68 v 80). Net spend last season was 24m, so that's a squad investment of £12m per season.  In 14/15 they spent a relative net fortune (79m) pre-Klopp because they were losing Suarez.  The season before that was 23m.  But given the rarified air at the top of the Premier League, Liverpool spend nothing like their competition does.  They are not spending the way they need to.

Just now, Zatman said:

Klopp is a motivator but ask him come up with new tactics and he is clueless. similar happened in Germany when teams sat back his teams couldnt break them down. His defensive organisation is awful as well

Is this a flaw in the high pressing game which both Klopp and Pep employ. By high pressing you are bound to leave space in behind. Guess if you had players like Xavi and Iniesta at their peak along with Messi then you can control possession so much it doesn't become such a problem.

I agree with you though that managers need to be able to adapt. No doubt Liverpool will come out and play great against Arsenal. I don't think its all down to Klopp though as just as with Leicester players have to take responsibility for poor performances. Liverpool just didn't play with the same tempo as they did against Spurs.

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Is this a flaw in the high pressing game which both Klopp and Pep employ. By high pressing you are bound to leave space in behind. Guess if you had players like Xavi and Iniesta at their peak along with Messi then you can control possession so much it doesn't become such a problem.

I agree with you though that managers need to be able to adapt. No doubt Liverpool will come out and play great against Arsenal. I don't think its all down to Klopp though as just as with Leicester players have to take responsibility for poor performances. Liverpool just didn't play with the same tempo as they did against Spurs.

I agree that players have to look at themselves, but really, who is more to blame if Lucas fails in a high line against Vardy? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

Klopp is a motivator but ask him come up with new tactics and he is clueless. similar happened in Germany when teams sat back his teams couldnt break them down. His defensive organisation is awful as well

Is he? Serious question. Because look at the opposition they've lost against this season.

I'd suggest that the players haven't been as motivated in those games as against the bigger teams.

On 01/03/2017 at 17:45, TrentVilla said:

Is he? Serious question. Because look at the opposition they've lost against this season.

I'd suggest that the players haven't been as motivated in those games as against the bigger teams.

Liverpool are currently over achieving anyway, They are not as good as Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd.

Liverpool are the 6th best team in England, their squad is not the best.. Dodgy goalkeepers, horrendous defence, plus Origi, Firminio and Sturridge is simply not a top 4 forward line IMO.

I think they are doing well to push for the top 4 as I really don't think they are anything special to be honest.

Edited by KHV

Â