Rino8

So Sterling has refused on (or asked to be left out depending on which rag you read) the pre season tour.

Raheem Sterling has left Brendan Rodgers in no doubt over his determination to push for a transfer to Manchester City by informing the Liverpool manager he wants to be left out of the pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia.

The England forward has held talks with the Liverpool manager since returning to training on Monday. It is understood he not only reiterated his desire to leave this summer but asked to be omitted from the two-week trip to Thailand, Australia and Malaysia. Liverpool’s squad depart for Bangkok on Sunday and are not due back on Merseyside until Saturday 25 July.

Sterling’s hardline stance further demonstrates the breakdown in relations since the 20-year-old rejected a £100,000-a-week contract extension last season. It also opens the way for City to make a third offer for the winger, who is under contract at Liverpool until 2017 on a £35,000-a-week deal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/07/raheem-sterling-liverpool-left-out-pre-season-tour

This moron is going to destroy his career if he isn't careful.

Agreed. I hate Liverpool with a passion, but this just smacks of unprofessionalism on Sterlings part.

As much as I love him playing hardball with 'em, this is too far and is gonna work against him in the long run.

I must admit to having a soft for Liverplop when I was a kid purely because Ian Rush was phenomenal.

However over the last few years I absolutely despise them; their pursuit of Barry, Stevie phucking G, £50 million for Sterling, Benteke's undervaluation and their persistence to do business through the media.

Oh and Brendan Rogers just been such a bore ;-)

Apologies for the rant !

• Like 1

Another case of how despicable the modern footballer is.

A club which has set up this lad for life. Where is the loyalty?

The club should hold more power.

A player should not be allowed to behave like this imo.

Loyalty?  Liverpool bought him from QPR as a 15 year old for a relatively large sum of money.  I'd be fairly confident he was going to have a career in football regardless of Liverpool FC and I'm pretty sure he's going to have one after them too.  As for a club having more power.  Liverpool have complete control over whether Sterling leaves or not.  They maybe can't control his hissy fits but they can make sure the hissy fits happen at their Melwood training ground.  I think the balance of power here is about right.

• Like 4

I dont agree with you here I afraid Bri. Liverpool pay his wages, whether he wants to leave or not how can he refuse to play for them? Be professional and get on with it until an offer that is acceptable is reached.

Poor behaviour from sterling, becoming one of my most disliked players. Terrible attitude and a perfect example of what is wrong with football these days. Paid huge wages and thinks he can do what he wants

• Like 2

I dont agree with you here I afraid Bri. Liverpool pay his wages, whether he wants to leave or not how can he refuse to play for them? Be professional and get on with it until an offer that is acceptable is reached.

Poor behaviour from sterling, becoming one of my most disliked players. Terrible attitude and a perfect example of what is wrong with football these days. Paid huge wages and thinks he can do what he wants

I know it's what's wrong with football but I don't agree that the club should hold more power.  The club holds plenty of power.  This is not like the club have stuck him in the reserves and he has right to complain.  If the club continue to show that they are still on-side with him then the club holds all the cards until his contract runs out.  At the moment this is nothing but a tantrum and it's completely up to Liverpool whether he hangs around or not.

Liverpool have made a rod for their own backs on this one as they've made him the highest paid player of his age since poaching him from QPR. They've gleefully created the monster, bigging him up and by that effect have to accept he wants big money (fair play, Plop did offer him £100k a week!)

Sterling (and his entourage of agents/hangers on etc) is also culpable for the blame for the embarassing mess. He turned down the contract offer stating he wanted to be at a club that win things and it isn't about the money.

However, he's now made this personal between him and Rodgers, which isn't a clever move and throwing a sicky to get out of a pre-season tour is childish. Liverpool should leave him at home but refuse to enter negotiations with City until they return.

What will be interesting is whether Sterling signs for Man City on wages under £100k.. (but I highly doubt it) as that would silence the money grabber comments and it would be perceived as a move for trophies not mullah!

The reputation he has earned will stick with him for life. No matter what he achieves in the game, no matter how many goals he scores, no matter how many trophies he wins. He will be remembered for the petulant little shit he is. He won't be a legend anywhere, and I highly doubt he will be remembered.

The reputation he has earned will stick with him for life. No matter what he achieves in the game, no matter how many goals he scores, no matter how many trophies he wins. He will be remembered for the petulant little shit he is. He won't be a legend anywhere, and I highly doubt he will be remembered.

I dunno, if he gets this big move & in the next decade he wins trophies galore & Liverpool continue as they have been for the last 20 years (winning the league cup every other season) sterling will be proved right in wanting away from the club and this whole saga will just be a footnote on his career.

Anelka got a reputation as a money grabber from around the same age and I think that and his shitty agents stopped him becoming as good a player he could have been. Same could happen to Sterling

though Anelka is a lot better than Sterling ever will

• Like 1

I still think if it was just about money, Sterling would have taken the huge contract he was offered at a club that are unlikely to win many, if any, major trophies in the near future.

Â