Rino8

Milner's attitude is outstanding.

The way he fought his way back into that MC team surrounded by some of the best players on the globe was quite outstanding.

He's obviously on good money, but never become indolent or looked jaded or gave anything less than 100% that I've seen.

There aren't many like him.

Milner was superb for us in his last season, I don't think he was played as well since.

He'll be a very good player for Liverpool if played in the middle

Milner's overrated, I think he'll flop at Liverpool like Downing.

The media love Milner. I don't think he will flop but he's nowhere near the player Gerrard was in him pomp. Liverpool is his level at this stage of his career. He's not good enough for Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U. 

He'd get in the Man. United team no question, Chelsea and Arsenal fair enough.

Given the amount of times Fergie picked Ji Sung Park in a big european tie and he was basically a clone of Milner, he'd have played a fair bit for them when they were at their peak aswell, doing the sort of Darren Fletcher role.

United will no doubt make a couple of signings in that area. There goal next season is to win the title and although Milner has won titles with City. He was more of a squad player there. 

He will strengthen the Liverpool midfield but they still need a goal scorer to challenge for top 4. Hope that isn't going to be Benteke. 

Edited by PaulC

I think Young had at least two seasons which were as good if not better than Milner's but we all think differently.

Milner's role was far more pivotal to the overall dynamic of the team. There were moments where he individually galvinised and almost single-handed pushed the team on I thought.

Edited by Isa

He massively helped us get over the loss of Barry in 09/10, he played so well Barry leaving was hardly noticed that year as his energy and mobility massively helped out Petrov as much as was possible in the wide open 4-4-2 we tended to play.

Towards the end he was become a regular goalscoring midfielder for us aswell. 

We massively missed him as soon as he left, Petrov- NRC the next season just was very sterile and uncreative, other punts like Makoun, Ireland and Bradley just didn't work and then we start relying on youth like Bannan.

Our whole central midfield has been a mess really for the last 5 years, only in the last few months with Delph-Cleverley- Westwood all playing well as a combination has it started to look a proper competitive prem midfield again.

Good point that about Petrov. He wasn't mobile and never very strong defensively either. He left a lot of space but Milner covered brilliantly. He was just so important to all phases of play that season. I'm not sure what his role would even classify as, kinda like a hybrid box-to-box midfielder and No. 8. Finished that season with twelve goals and fifteen assists in all competitions. Such a class act.

Edited by Isa

12 goals and 15 assists is top class. Imagine having a midfielder capable of that now. He was a great player in the centre of the park for us.

Liverpool have pulled off a bit of a coup signing him, I just hope they appreciate it.

Good point that about Petrov. He wasn't mobile and never very strong defensively either. He left a lot of space but Milner covered brilliantly. He was just so important to all phases of play that season. I'm not sure what his role would even classify as, kinda like a hybrid box-to-box midfielder and No. 8. Finished that season with twelve goals and fifteen assists in all competitions. Such a class act.

We only actually moved him to central midfield around December aswell that year, he played the first few months on the right wing (which probably gave us better balance as a team) and then moved to central midfield when Downing was fit.

I love giving MON as much stick as most on here due to some of the rubbish British signings he made, the inflexible tactics he used, Heskey, his failure to pace out our season which meant we were physically dead from every March, Moscow but he does deserve credit from converting Milner and Barry from wide midfielders into central midfielders of genuine quality.

We earnt near enough 40m from selling them both, no chance we'd have got anywhere near that had both continued out wide.

Good point that about Petrov. He wasn't mobile and never very strong defensively either. He left a lot of space but Milner covered brilliantly.

I thought Petrov was excellent defensively, he read the game superbly and allowed Milner to flourish. Two intelligent players we've never managed to replace.

• Like 1

We earnt near enough 40m from selling them both, no chance we'd have got anywhere near that had both continued out wide.

Well technically £30m and Stephen Ireland :(

I thought Petrov was excellent defensively, he read the game superbly and allowed Milner to flourish. Two intelligent players we've never managed to replace.

He's one of those who split opinion quite remarkably. I didn't see it myself. He got stuck in but I thought his defensive reading wasn't good enough to compensate for his lack of pace/mobility. Left too much space and failed to track runners.

Aside from Benteke, I reckon Milner was the best player Villa have had on their books in the last 6 or so years. Man City are losing one of their most consistent players and will struggle to replace him, just as we did when he left.

I hope he gets the chance to play regularly through the middle where he belongs.

Good point that about Petrov. He wasn't mobile and never very strong defensively either. He left a lot of space but Milner covered brilliantly.

I agree. Massively underrated and a key part in Milner's form. He did a lot of the grunt work and it's a shame he didn't get much recognition until after Milner left.

We only actually moved him to central midfield around December aswell that year, he played the first few months on the right wing (which probably gave us better balance as a team) and then moved to central midfield when Downing was fit.

I love giving MON as much stick as most on here due to some of the rubbish British signings he made, the inflexible tactics he used, Heskey, his failure to pace out our season which meant we were physically dead from every March, Moscow but he does deserve credit from converting Milner and Barry from wide midfielders into central midfielders of genuine quality.

We actually made nothing on Milner because the of the fee and wages for Ireland. Not his fault but it is something that always rankles. Young gave us longer and better service than Milner and we made more money on him and I'd argue that Young was the best player we have had in the last 10 years. 

Edited by PaulC

Liverpool signing Adam Bogdan.  :crylaugh:

Pretty sure he never kept a clean sheet in the premier league for Bolton.

So if anything happens to Mingolet it's him or Brad Jones to come in.

I'm actually interested in their transfer strategy as it's been freebies so far.

I still reckon they'll be no serious bid for Benteke until they sell Sterling for 50m or squad players like Balotelli, Borini, Lambert etc which if they're lucky could raise 20m.

Liverpool signing Adam Bogdan.  :crylaugh:

Pretty sure he never kept a clean sheet in the premier league for Bolton.

So if anything happens to Mingolet it's him or Brad Jones to come in.

I'm actually interested in their transfer strategy as it's been freebies so far.

I still reckon they'll be no serious bid for Benteke until they sell Sterling for 50m or squad players like Balotelli, Borini, Lambert etc which if they're lucky could raise 20m.

not in the league but unsurprising ;)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/14893519

Well technically £30m and Stephen Ireland :(

He's one of those who split opinion quite remarkably. I didn't see it myself. He got stuck in but I thought his defensive reading wasn't good enough to compensate for his lack of pace/mobility. Left too much space and failed to track runners.

Him and Barry was a lovely midfield pairing but on reflection they were both too similar...e.g we only play those two with Young and Milner who would hug the touchline. So teams that played three in there would quite easily overrun them as neither were that mobile.

Milner-Petrov was a far better combination.

Stan was always very good at anticipating I thought. He's also the best Villa player I've seen at shielding the ball and drawing free kicks. Maybe not the biggest thing but when you're winning narrowly those type of things don't half slow the game and run the clock down. He was a winner, a few we had in our team around that time.

• Like 1

I agree Milner and Petrov were a better balance as Milner had the energy to be box to box, although not as good a passer of the ball as Barry, there was good end product as well. Have to see whether he can be as dynamic for Liverpool. He's not much more than a year younger than Iniesta who people have been writing off. 

Â