• N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann (for Holman 61)
    • Gardner (for N'Zogbia 74)
    • Bannan (for Delph 77)

Your ratings and reactions please.

Keep it respectful even if you know everyone else is wrong.

[table color=#bccde9:345ccb7ede][mrow][mcol color=#8c333c:345ccb7ede]West Ham[mcol][mcol color=#8c333c:345ccb7ede]Aston Villa

[row][col color=#8c333c:345ccb7ede]Nolan 40[col]1-0[col color=#8c333c:345ccb7ede]

[/table]

We could have played until midnight and not scored. Vlaar and Clark look promising, but that really is all I took from the game. It's going to be a season of struggle.

We looked good in flashes and played some decent football, passed and actually kept the ball on occasion. We were also completely toothless up front and lacked the creativity to break down the W.Ham defence. PL is a great manager I have no doubt in that, but he will need time and (more importantly at this moment) investment because quite frankly our squad is poor.

I preferred the football we were playing, but my GOD our squad is SOOO poor! I can hardly believe some of these players play in the Premier League. Besides Delph, it was notable how it was only Lambert's signings who were any good today

Decent passing but no penetration upfront. Good signs but we either need a few new players or Lambert needs to give them some instructions.

Vlaar was shaky at times, but he looked better towards the end. It's nice having two central defenders that can actually control the ball - now we just need them to tighten up their partnership!

Gary Gardner was atrocious for the 10 minutes he was on. El Ahmadi was excellent.

No need to panic. There's still time to bring in players, 4 of the starting eleven were new the the Premier League, Lambert just needs time to get the team up to speed.

Remember when we lost 2-0 at home against Wigan, for Martinez's first game in charge? That season wasn't as bad as first feared, and I'm pretty sure that Match Thread was full of people over-reacting as well.

A win today would have merely papered over the cracks, a win today would have given a false positive to Lambert that this team was good enough. I don't go into games wanting Villa to lose and today was no different, but a loss today may have been the best result we could have asked for. Lambert will now know that we need a few more players in this window and will more than likely get them, had we won today Lambert may have put off the strengthening job waiting to see how we perform at Everton but by then we would be pushing it for time.

Obviously not the best of starts but we kept the ball well at times and moved it around well, just no attacking threat at all and we were tired/uninterested? in the last 20 minutes or so.

At least it highlights the need for 2 or 3 creative/attacking players

Some good football and at least we are keeping hold of the ball now.However we lacked penetration .. surprisingly as in pre season we haven't had an issue scoring.Lack of width from the FB's for the most part and the few times they got forwarded there final ball was poor.

Lack of options on the bench , we need to buy some players.Next few games could be tough

Given - Did okay. Wasn't tested much but I thought his positioning was really off for the goal

Lowton - Was that hutton playing? Gave the ball to west ham nearly every attack, did nothing to help the attack, and wasnt so great defensively

Vlaar - Did well. He stopped a lot of attacks. Will be a solid defender for us

Clark - Looked a little shaky but thought he also did well. Cant blame him for getting out jumped by Collins.

Baker - Why is he even considered a LB? He didn't do anything except over commit multiple times. Did absolutely nothing going forward. Invisible.

Delph - Looked very nervous and most of his passes were just back passes. Still dont think he is good enough

KEA - I thought he did well. He did everything but needs to be a little more tenacious going forward

Ireland - He was doing well early on but then started trying too much. Needs someone other than Bent to work with

Holman - Awful. He doesnt look like an premier league player

Bent - Got shut down pretty easily. No chances to do anything. Similar to last season

N'Zogbia - He wasn't getting the ball much but when he did, he tried too much.

Subs:

Weimann - Same thing as bent. Tried but got no service

Gardner - Looked bad. Didn't help at all

Bannan - Didn't do much

The team just looks like they dont fit together at all.

Â