South Africa Miner Massacre

maqroll

• 2 weeks later...
So it turns out the miners who survived the massacre by police are being charged with the murder of their colleges. By some twist of South African law they can be made responsible for the situation occurring in the first place.

What a charming country...

It's even worse that that, if this account is to be believed.

The photographic evidence of the forensic markings (if that's what they are) and the description of the terrain do support the claim that many of those killed couldn't have been killed in the way and in the place claimed by police.

I've never met a nice South African.

TBF there are loads of very nice and good South African's

It's a violent country in parts and people forget how far it has come from the Apartheid days that were only recently in place. One thing that "westerners" seem to forget when they travel there is that it's not home. What I mean by that is while the infrastructure in many places looks very much like any city in the west economy zone, the reality is that its nothing like that. As a result people judge SA against what happens at home and that is not fair.

That is not excusing this and the views on many SA's is that this is a terrible crime - I listen to John Robbie via the internet and the callers and those that Tweet him are appalled by what has happened.

The country is at a pivotal point when Mandella passes away which in reality will be fairly soon. There are a lot of extremists, often pushed and funded by outsiders that want to claim power there. Hopefully the majority that are good people will rule the day still.

Its a great place to visit can't wait to go back soon for wok / holiday :-)

Drat has actually BEEN to South Africa, Rev.

I won't deny that most of the more inbred Boers are awful people, but the country is about so much more than just them, and your generalisation does you no credit. It's arrogant, ignorant, inaccurate, unhelpful and unnecessary.

Drat has actually BEEN to South Africa, Rev.

I won't deny that most of the more inbred Boers are awful people, but the country is about so much more than just them, and your generalisation does you no credit. It's arrogant, ignorant, inaccurate, unhelpful and unnecessary.

:crylaugh:

I've never met a nice racist.

Yeah Rev, listen to CPF and stop being a racist. SA is lovely - apart from the white people.

So you generalise about the Boers in an attempt to tell off Rev for generalising?

You've played a blinder here CF!

So you generalise about the Boers in an attempt to tell off Rev for generalising?

You've played a blinder here CF!

"Most of the more inbred Boers" is not exactly a blanket generalisation about Boers though, is it?

The quote that the Rev referred to goes back to the Spitting Image song from the 1980's, when we were ruled by a whole bunch of inbred former Nazi sympathisers.

The irony is that they invented Apartheid to appeal to the Boers who worked on the mines and feared for their jobs. Over the subsequent decades the Boers themselves lost interest in working on the mines anyway, to be replaced by black South Africans who themselves began to lose interest. These days most of the menial jobs on the mines are done by migrant workers from Mozambique, Zimbabwe and further afield. Consequently I'm deeply suspicious of politicians who threaten their electorates with "loss of jobs" - Nobody's job should be so precious to them that they vote for the wrong ruler.

I've never met a nice racist.

Yeah Rev, listen to CPF and stop being a racist. SA is lovely - apart from the white people.

If one were prepared to make generalisations, one could say that the first post under that video tells you everything you need to know. But I'm not, so I won't.

Edit: But just in case you ARE into generalisations, and would like to be more specific than the Rev about it, here's that post, quoted in full (:)):

"There are two types of white South African, the Afrikaaners & the English ones (or saltycocks as the former call them). After living in Africa I can safely say that this vid is very true. Pretty much all the Africaaners I encountered were the worst bunch of people I've ever met - almost as bad as Israelis. Even the English south africans didnt like them. To say they were mostly small minded simpletons who only know how to drink beer, eat beef & shoot things would be an understatement.TIA Danny!"

Anyway, this seems to be a bit of a side track.

Most of the police who did the shooting seemed to be black South Africans and the president siding with the mine owners is also black so I don't think it is a race issue. More a problem with the political justice system in SA.

Â