Ni no Kuni

hogso

Put in a few hours last night, up to beating the first guardian. What it is is, a fantastically immersive world, much like most Ghibli movies. As I mentioned about the demo, it is just like playing a film of theirs. The look and sound of the thing is remarkable, en't it? I haven't got to the crux of the gameplay yet, haven't got any new familiars apart from the first one, and haven't got to do any alchemy yet, so it's all been pretty simple so far.

I suppose a criticism might be that it does quite a lot of hand holding through the early stages of the game, and it bobs along a pretty slow pace. It's a kid friendly game though, make no bones about it, and for younger players I imagine the 'easy' difficulty setting will be a welcome addition, for the Buntings. As it is, on 'normal' the battle system is such that you can't go gung ho all the time, straight from the off. Having said that I did find the first boss alot easier in the game proper than in the demo, maybe cos I levelled up a bit before hand. Tidy!

Really looking forward to putting more time into it, and getting to when the game really opens up. The Wizard's Edtion is also really nice, the Drippy plush is of a good quality, and the Wizard's Companion book is fantastic. It's not just a gimmicky art book or a cheap thing thrown in, and it's not quite a guide either - it's a page for page replication of the in-game Wizard's Companion, and has tons and tons of info in it. Proper tidy!

And I think I even managed to get all of Mr. Drippy's catchphares in there too.

Edited by hogso

I. ****. LOVE. THIS. GAME.

It's so polished and gorgeous to look at, to hear. Absolutely brlliant, although I feel kind of bad whacking cute little critters with a stick and killing them...

Great ain't it? I've unlocked the ability to get other familiars now, so have been spending ages getting all the ones in the area, and levelling them.

I've just got to the town in the desert and started questing around there. Do you get a spell later on to be able to make any creature in the wild a familiar? I have three so far but they're the ones you get through the main questline from the looks of things.

It's brilliant though, I just wish I had the Wizard's Companion that comes with the special edition. I asked if they had any when I went into town but they onlyhad normal copies unless you preordered, so I just have the game.

Edited by Ginko

If you just got to Al Mamoon, you're close to being able to 'catch' wild familiars. It's not a spell, though, and isn't quite as easy as you may hope...

Ah right cheers. I was just worried I might have missed it but I like to spend my time and try to find everything in RPG's. I'm just about to go and do the trials and haven't received the ability yet, so I'm assuming it's either part of the trials or comes shortly after. Just deciding whether to do that first and then go and do a sidequest where I need to go to the volcano to the west to find some spicy seeds, or the other way round.

Oh, and also, the first merit card reward, the ability to jump int he openworld... it says it's useless but a lot of fun. Is it actually useless? Or can you use it to get to some areas you couldn't reach before? I keep seeing areas I can't get to just yet, so wondered if the jumping ability helps you somehow?

Edited by Ginko

I haven't found any real use for the jumping jack ability, no. Inaccessible areas are usually got to by spells, or i you're talking about green chests, then you don't actually get to those areas, but get an item later in the game that let's you get distant, out of reach chests. I only know that cos it tells you about it in the wizards companion, though

Yeah I read up about green chests when I saw one behind bars in the well and couldn't get to it. I was more referring ot places in the open world that have sparkling spots or enemies there or cave openings but for whatever reason it is I can't get to them.

Really wish I'd got the special edition now. I'd love to have the hard copy of the Wizard's Companion. Oh well.

I'm around ten hours in. Just did some of the bounty requests and some other side missions then I've saved at the palace of trials or whatever it's called.

I found this game easier to get into than Tales of Graces f. Which do you think is better so far Hogso?

Edited by Ginko

I think I like this better, so far. The world/s are so much more vibrant and alive. Although I do prefer Graces' battle system, but then there are barely any better in RPGdom. My biggest complaint about Ni No Kuni so far is that it helps you along a little too much - I'd like the option to get rid of that bar that says what to do next, for example. Only a very minor thing though.

Ah right, as for things out of reach in the over world, I guess you'll be able to land once you're able to fly, by whatever means.

En't it, mun? What it is is proper tidy. Youer not going to cry though are you, bunting. Jeepers creepers!

I hope I have not clocked a plot twist already - but certain indications during a dream sequence seem to indicate...something...which I hope is not as predicable as it seems.

There's a couple of things I've noticed that could play a part in some kind of twist...

The first is that when you stay in Ding Dong Dell's inn for the first time you see a snippet of a dream and I think Oliver's mum mentions something about finding "him" and learning the truth, so I assume that could be something to do with Oliver's father since he hasn't been mentioned at all and you'd think he would, unless he was the product of immaculate conception...

The other thing I've been thinking is that there's been no mention of Oliver's soulmate at all. I assume he has one, so I wonder why Drippy hasn't mentioned it, unless he either doesn't know or he's trying to hide something.

On a random note, I love the fact that Mr Drippy is voiced by Dave from Gavin and Stacey, and he does a brilliant job.

I've unlocked the ability to collect wild familiars now so I've been going round trying to do that. It's a bit annoying some of them have a low 'tame rate' though and don't give you the opportunity very often.

Yeh it kinda sucks. Took me aaaages to get a Bone Head, which was the one I wanted most when I started out. I have a lot now though ^_^ and evolved a fair few too! You'll get used to it.

I tried for a bonehead for ages but didn't get one. I went back to Ding Dong Dell and I'm currently trying to get an Inphant on the ridge behind the town because they're supposedly one of the best familiars in the game. Then I'm going back to the well to get a Naja since they're good too. Only after I get those two will I come back and get a Bonehead and then continue with the story.

Â