Ni no Kuni

hogso

18 hours ago, Risso said:

Dinoceros makes the game easy mode when grinding normal packs of mobs.  It essentially one shots everything, quite good for grinding tokos.

Yep, what a beast! I've now decided to get serious and try to get to the end of the game, I've spent a long time doing a lot of grinding, testing different styles and familiars, but with Luigi's Mansion 3 waiting, and Pokémon also out this week, k need to finish this. 100 hours so far.

(And I love it!)

• Like 1

I completed most of the end game stuff, but the quest where you need to steal stuff from the rare gold familiars to make certain types of weapons/armour is absolute dog turd, so I've sacked it off.

• 1 month later...

I played it to completion with my daughter this year.  Had fun.  As far as I can tell though the first game is significantly better.  Looks like it was made with a bigger budget. 

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

The 2nd one is on sale in the PS store.  Is our worth getting? I've not played the 1st one. 

It’s not a patch on the first. Felt more like a random collection of mini games to be honest. Some decent bits in it but overall a bit meh.

18 hours ago, Risso said:

It’s not a patch on the first. Felt more like a random collection of mini games to be honest. Some decent bits in it but overall a bit meh.

Ok cheers.  I'll look at the 1st one then. 

• 2 weeks later...

I could have sworn I posted the Ni No Kuni movie trailer in here months ago. Perhaps it was the film or anime thread instead? 

Anyways, this

Is on UK Netflix from 16th Jan, with an English dub (Don't see why it wouldn't have subs too tho). It isn't actually Ghibli, so don't get too excited - although Joe Hisaishi did do the soundtrack. This was actually produced by OLM, most famous for all the Pokémon anime, plus some other bits like the Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven anime.

Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I'm not going mad, am I.

Movie spoilers 👇

Reveal hidden contents

That old man in the movie was Oliver?

Spoiler

I don't think it was. Instead, I think it was a nice little reference to Oli boy's attire. He was very different in his personality, and given that there was a massive statue of King Tom, we know it took place time line wise considerably later than WotWW. So he could have been an old man...but why hang around in a hospital? A talking point if nothing else. 

• 1 month later...

Finally started playing this again and I kinda hate it. I'm getting creamed in every single fight. What am I doing wrong? 

Hard to say without knowing any more details.  It's normally quite forgiving in the early levels, but can be difficult in some areas if your level is a bit low.

For the most part I'm just co piloting my daughter's playthrough. She's doing the quests and I'm lumbered with the fighting. Literally in the first dungeon, Ding Dong Well, and everybody is two shotting me. Maybe it is just being too low level or something. 

I think it's just a case of wrestling with the controls. Being locked into animations and how to deal with it.  Once I have to stop thinking about which button does what then I think the problems will cease to exist. 

• 1 year later...

Struggling with the amount of hand-holding in the game. I'm about 30 hours in now, I know how to give heart, Drippy. I also find it weird how spells just interrupt eachother in combat, for example I'll cast mugshot with Swaine then Oliver will cast Ward or something so his spell animation takes over the screen, when it returns to the battle screen I have no idea whether Swain actually ended up using mugshot, whether I stole anything or not, or whether Oliver's spell just cancelled mine, and if so did it still use my MP?

Rest of the game is great, looks great, music is okay, familiar system is fun, I'm having fun exploring.

Â