Lambert's love for a narrow attack...

onje_villa

:/ I dont like this.

Ive also been told (From a very reliable source :D ) that theyre also playing one touch-ish football... as in DONT go ahead and dribble. The passing game could be employed.

i can understand why you might not be keen on this, From what i've seen of your lad, he's a tricky wide player, but i wouldn't worry about Lamberts playing style affecting his progression.

I mean look at N'Zogbia, if he can start to be effective in this system, then Jack will have no trouble.

Do you mean my brother ;) yeah he does like to keep the ball. No one touch stuff.

Well it is always good to develop further sides to your game.

Why are we questioning PL's tactics... ?

I would have thought that was the one area we now feel supremely confident compared to last season

He managed to get Norwich playing pretty well with players who, on paper, aren't nearly as good as our squad.

So again, why question his tactics now?

as somebody already touched on, i think this playing style is a case of needs must, the fact is our only natural wide player Albrighton is out, both N'Zogbia and Holman come narrow anyway, So only an idiot (mcleish) would try and play a rigid formation with the players at his disposal (tried to shoehorn Bannan/Ireland into wide positions),

If the players we have can start to have more confidence in they're own ability with the ball, then we'll soon create chances in this system. A huge amount is about belief, last season nobody believed in the work we were doing at Aston Villa, this year will be different, The Fans believe in the manager, the players believe in the manager and in that the players will get our backing.

I would have thought that was the one area we now feel supremely confident compared to last season

He managed to get Norwich playing pretty well with players who, on paper, aren't nearly as good as our squad.

You cannot compare Norwich in any sort of way to us.They were using a target man last year in Grant Holt and played to his strengths. But he also played alright football and not pure hoofball(unlike muckleish) .

I Think he will have similarities in the approach hes taking but he wont have the same Tactics or style of play he had at norwich ...

And NIVillan and VillaGoMarching i agree with both.

I think for the first 5-10 games we will look very similar to Houllier's first season. Passing it around a lot (tippy tappy as people on here call it) but not really achieve much with it. We'll play with more intent than Houllier's team did but it will be hard to adapt straight away. Though, over time this will improve us massively.

I do worry if the above is true how Villa fans will react to it though.

erm, isn't that what happens on a forum?

Posters can debate/argue/question etc everything and anything to with the chosen subject in this case, Aston Villa.

My guess is because posters are interested in what we are about to see rather than knocking PL. personally I'm excited although I have that nagging feeling that we are going to cop more than our fair share of hammering this season.

I think for the first 5-10 games we will look very similar to Houllier's first season. Passing it around a lot (tippy tappy as people on here call it) but not really achieve much with it. We'll play with more intent than Houllier's team did but it will be hard to adapt straight away. Though, over time this will improve us massively.

I do worry if the above is true how Villa fans will react to it though.

i dunno, i think PL will set his stall out differently, playing compact and through the middle does not mean you play horizontal tippy tappy all the time. i think there'll be a big emphasis on playing a vertical (through) ball early if it's on and get at the opposition as much as possible.

The narrow attacking style is best suited for us at the moment. None of our wingers except for Albrighton play all that wide and Albrighton seems to have lost the ability to beat fullbacks anyway. We're also lacking a physical presence to win long balls or crosses into the box. Feeding Bent, Holman and N'Zog through the centre with ground balls from Ireland and KEA would seem to be our best bet.

The biggest problem is at the back and to a lesser extent at DM. If Vlaar gets injured I don't think we have a single defender who's much good at all, which is doubly worrying because without quality FBs in particular we will ship a lot of goals this season and may also struggle to make the narrow attack work.

I can see us using an array of formations but never rigid going forward, i dont think you can ever negate the space outwide either as it will always spread out a backline and create space through the middle; meaning i can't see us with our decent wide outlets and potential killer balls ever sticking to one compact style / formation, its too soon to set this stuff in stone.

It is a mistake to read too much into the formations used pre-season.

PL is very adaptable and we will vary it.

My guess is he thinks the newer approaches, especially the 4321, needs more work than a 442 or the 550 of Mcleish, as the players can do the latter two with their eyes shut.

Fear not !

And as for the need for good fullbacks, I think that is exactly what he is sorting.

The defence just needs to work harder,

Defence is the easiest part of the team (tell your budding football son's this (if they don't wish to be a goalie!) midfield and attackers/wingers have the hardest job in football, hence the reason why they tend to get paid more. A great defender MAY match their wage and sometimes transfer fee.

I guess what I am saying is if Villa's defence was to work twice as hard then maybe results will come more often if we play attacking football.

Also it's not about seek and destroy...

my take too, is that the team will metamorphose during the course of the game.

PL appears to like change during the course of the match to outwit the opposition.

He see's the game tactics as dynamic as opposed to static.

Far too early to be saying Lambert 'loves' any particular system. I remember him playing with two wide men at Norwich last season, getting lots of crosses into the box for Holt. He's a good manager, so will play to the strengths his team has. Fit the system around your players, not your players around the system.

One word in the title of the thread is enough for me at the moment - 'attack'

Something which had been given up as a bad thing to do last season so whether it is 'narrow' or 'wide' or somewhere in between I really don't care at the minute as it will be so refreshing just to attack and try to win a game instead of defend, hoofball and try not to lose!

Well City won the league last season and scored loads of goals and their only wide player is Adam Johnson who hardly featured.

One minor (and by minor I mean huge) detail is that they have excellent full backs and that all their players are better than all our players.

Still think the narrow system fits us better than the classic 4-4-2 wich we don't have the players for atm

Â