The Secret Footballer: Undercover in the Premier League.

VillaGoMarching

Our own Stephen Ireland?

A man that decorates his girls bedroom like a fairytale Barbie Castle and lies about two dead grandmothers is hardly likely to be quoting Proust

It has probably been heavily edited and rewritten by the Guardian subeditor anyway. The Proust may well have been added in for dramatic effect, you can take all sorts of creative licence when editing something written by an anonymous writer.

Most of the facts seem to fit the profile of Steve Kitson but not all of them do so there may well be a few footballers used or some stories are just made up.

Our own Stephen Ireland?

A man that decorates his girls bedroom like a fairytale Barbie Castle and lies about two dead grandmothers is hardly likely to be quoting Proust

You wouldn't expect a man who stubs out cigars in a team-mates eye, has done time for common assault and affray as well as having a record of assault occasioning ABH, and is currently serving a 10 week game ban for violent conduct to quote Nietzche.

But thats google for you.......

I'm probably dead wrong, and you guys can probably poke a million holes in this theory, but Nigel Reo-Coker is supposedly a philosophical and articulate chap?

agree, he showed it last year by believing he was going to sign for Milan or PSG by his agent :D

Kitson was at Reading for 5 years, was then Stoke's record signing. Kitson has always been apologetic in interviews about his footballer lifestyle. Played for lower league club before moving to the premier league.

And he's ginger which is enough in itself to be incredibly depressed about.

Being in Portsmouth would also give credibility to the claim about financial problems.

And those talking about "how the **** can a footballer with high wages and nice girls moan". You can not moan either, as you are incredibly lucky having a job that pays an incredible high wage when compared with people in other continents earning two dollars a day. Don't you see the flaws at this kind of arguments?

• Like 1

Kitson was at Reading for 5 years, was then Stoke's record signing. Kitson has always been apologetic in interviews about his footballer lifestyle. Played for lower league club before moving to the premier league.

And he's ginger which is enough in itself to be incredibly depressed about.

Yeah someone made this list of things he has said that fit the profile of Kitson

Evidence that its Dave Kitson from some of the past Secret Footballer articles :

Started career in lower leagues - Cambridge

Been a member of a side promoted to the Premier League - Reading

He has played for a newly promoted Premier League club - Reading

Played last game of the season needing to win to avoid relegation - Reading

Has been relegated from Premier League - Reading

Has been a record transfer signing - Stoke bought him for record £5.5 million.

That transfer did not work out - failed to score all season - played 18, 0 goals

Moved clubs on transfer deadline day - Stoke to Portsmouth

Career on the wane - was once tipped to play for England, now can't get in Portsmouth team just relegated to League One

Friends with an African who once played in Russia - Andre Bikey at Reading

Once saw his manager pick up the chairman and throw him out the dressing room- could only be in the lower leagues surely - has to be John Beck at Cambridge

Has also talked about growing up on a council estate and from the articles has almost certainly played for teams in provincial 1 team towns - Reading, Portsmouth, Stoke

Described being flattened by Tony Valencia - this is on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejw2n5bv_lo.

Once described his favourite music - Dave Kitson mentioned exactly the same songs in an interview with Portsmouth's club magazine (or something like that).

Plus this interview with the Guardian from 2007: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/dec/29/newsstory.reading?INTCMP=SRCH Their personalities seem to match.

He mentioned that he has been player of the season two years in a row but I think it's only been POTS once for Reading (unless he was fans POTS one year and players POTS the next?)

There is also the possiblility that a number of things have just been made up to throw people off.

Being in Portsmouth would also give credibility to the claim about financial problems.

And those talking about "how the **** can a footballer with high wages and nice girls moan". You can not moan either, as you are incredibly lucky having a job that pays an incredible high wage when compared with people in other continents earning two dollars a day. Don't you see the flaws at this kind of arguments?

So you agree then???

So you agree then???

No. I can be unhappy and have a hard time with depressions, even though I am lucky living in Norway and have wages that are 20 times the average wage in the world and probably 150 times the wages of the lowest paid people in the world.

I can be unhappy with my life, even though I am so lucky that I am in the bracket of 20% of the people that consumate 80% of the goods in the world.

You can also be unhappy, even though your life is a dream for a huge part of the people of the world.

It is just wrong to say that we in the western world can not have problems, even though our lifes are easy.

Just as wrong as it is to say that a footballer with millions in the bank and fans worshipping them can not be unhappy.

And the funny part is that it is a longer way from the poorest in the world to my and your life than it is from our life to the footballers life...

• Like 1

No. I can be unhappy and have a hard time with depressions, even though I am lucky living in Norway and have wages that are 20 times the average wage in the world and probably 150 times the wages of the lowest paid people in the world.

I can be unhappy with my life, even though I am so lucky that I am in the bracket of 20% of the people that consumate 80% of the goods in the world.

You can also be unhappy, even though your life is a dream for a huge part of the people of the world.

It is just wrong to say that we in the western world can not have problems, even though our lifes are easy.

Just as wrong as it is to say that a footballer with millions in the bank and fans worshipping them can not be unhappy.

And the funny part is that it is a longer way from the poorest in the world to my and your life than it is from our life to the footballers life...

Well said :!:

• 6 years later...
19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Thread resurrection 

Yes I know I’m very very late to this topic. Eventually got round to reading the book. 

I really want to know the woman and man (other footballer) who messed about in the pool. 

I remember reading that a few years ago. I guessed at Peter Crouch and Abby Clancy. No idea on the other footballer though. (could actually be Cheryl and Ashley Cole as I remember the piece saying in some circles the WAG was more famous than the footballer).

What's ironic about this is Dave Kitson has started writing a column in the S*N last few weeks and one of his tales was pretty much word for word one of the stories in the books so he's not even trying to keep things secret anymore!

Edit: Was the bit about him having depression which is actually on the first page!:lol:

Edited by VillaChris

21 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

On another topic Kitson seems the exact sort of pants striker we were usually in for in the early 10's, like Grant Holt et al

Can't remember us ever being linked with him actually. Did have a couple of good seasons for Reading alongside Doyle but struggled outside of their system especially as Stoke were complete opposite in style.

On 02/01/2019 at 06:09, VillaChris said:

Can't remember us ever being linked with him actually. Did have a couple of good seasons for Reading alongside Doyle but struggled outside of their system especially as Stoke were complete opposite in style.

I'm sure in one of his books he talks about how he was close to signing for Villa but it fell through for some reason. 

21 hours ago, Hornso said:

I'm sure in one of his books he talks about how he was close to signing for Villa but it fell through for some reason. 

I’ve just read that part in the first book (doesn’t mention us by name but says a top midlands club). Said he knew we were watching him then he played against us and was trying too hard to impress, had one of his worst ever games and we lost interest

• Thanks 1

Â