The Secret Footballer: Undercover in the Premier League.

VillaGoMarching

Marcus Bent was at Wigan the same time as Valencia....

Just go the impression it was him and he was describing his time at Blackburn with the likes of Souness, Cole, Yorke, Gillespie etc.

But that was in FourFourTwo Magazine. Never read the Guardian one.

Bollocks to all those clues, how many premier league footballers can quote Marcel Proust?

Exactly what I thought when I read that line. My initial thoughts were David James for that reason but that doesn't fit.

I'm also interested to know who the England player with the playful wife is as sounds like he's still playing

Anybody read FourFourTwo magazine? All last season they had a secret player column which was really interesting, dunno if it's the same one as the Guardian.

I guess at Marcus Bent for some reason.

I always read that article its very good and continuing into this season as well though it says that secret footballer played in all 4 divisions and also for his country, dont think its Marcus Bent.

was thinking maybe Dion Dublin or Tony Cascarino or somebody like that

Bollocks to all those clues, how many premier league footballers can quote Marcel Proust?

Exactly what I thought when I read that line. My initial thoughts were David James for that reason but that doesn't fit.

I'm also interested to know who the England player with the playful wife is as sounds like he's still playing

Again guessed Peter Crouch just due to high profile Abby Clancy is.

Yeah I think Bent might have played for England under 21s so that might count.

Could be Tony Cottee, think he's the only player to play in all 4 divisions in the SAME season.

Tony Cottee retired seven years years before Antonio Valencia signed for Wigan.

The column has been going for a couple of years now. A lot of people think its David James. My personal opinion is its multiple footballers under one byline. I wouldn't be surprised if it were Graham Le Saux either.

I don't think GLS grew up on a Council Estate...also, I think it's a current player as well?

I'm going to guess...Joey Barton

Barton's only played in the premier league though.

Judging by Valencia charging down a clearence, I'm guessing he's a defender or even a keeper?

Difficult to say tbh.

I'm fairly sure at some point this season he'll let slip a reasonably memorable incident that people can trace back using the net.

Had a look at the comments....Andy Johnson's name is popping up.

How about Zamora. Played for England once, Brighton were promoted a few times he was there so that covers the four divisions part and as their star striker he must have won their POTY a couple of times.

I always think Danny Mills is surprisingly articulate whenever he's on the radio. He played with Trevor Sinclair (Beckham story) and also for England although dunno if he's played all four divisions.

I couldn't give a toss who it is..... It just sounds like another millionaire 'victim' moaning cause life just got too damn hard.... Boo fkin hoo. Stunners only talk to me cause I'm rich... Sob. I hated my life training for 2 hours a day then having to do it again the next... All for a paltry 5 figure weekly wage.

Thank the good lord his Harley St doctor prescribed some happy pills to help him cope.

Feck off....

Had a look at the comments....Andy Johnson's name is popping up.

How about Zamora. Played for England once, Brighton were promoted a few times he was there so that covers the four divisions part and as their star striker he must have won their POTY a couple of times.

I always think Danny Mills is surprisingly articulate whenever he's on the radio. He played with Trevor Sinclair (Beckham story) and also for England although dunno if he's played all four divisions.

Danny Mills would not of been playing against Antono Valencia. He retired in 2006.

I couldn't give a toss who it is..... It just sounds like another millionaire 'victim' moaning cause life just got too damn hard.... Boo fkin hoo. Stunners only talk to me cause I'm rich... Sob. I hated my life training for 2 hours a day then having to do it again the next... All for a paltry 5 figure weekly wage.

Thank the good lord his Harley St doctor prescribed some happy pills to help him cope.

Feck off....

That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on here and we've had threads concerning god and homosexuality.

To be honest, it sounds like my idea of hell. Sure I'd love the money and sure, I'd love to be somebody's hero. But the lifestyle sounds miserable. How would you ever find TRUE love, ever relax, ever know you were being fed the "truth" at any given moment? It's no wonder to me that depression is rife in football.

Feck off....

That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on here and we've had threads concerning god and homosexuality.

To be honest, it sounds like my idea of hell. Sure I'd love the money and sure, I'd love to be somebody's hero. But the lifestyle sounds miserable. How would you ever find TRUE love, ever relax, ever know you were being fed the "truth" at any given moment? It's no wonder to me that depression is rife in football.

You're quite right...... With the money and privilege given by his professional choices he had no alternative but to simply carry on........

Or maybe he could have quit football to do something more spiritually fulfilling. As a millionaire sportsman he had the one privilege the rest of us do not...... Choice!

Vast numbers of people struggle with their daily lot.... Many are forced to cope with mental health issues on top of those. I can assure you on these topics I am far from ignorant.

So with the greatest respect, feck you 'troubled' footballer.

• Thanks 1

Â