Albrighton to miss start of season

LeafyVilla

I see more fans coming out and trying to do down our young players again. He was poor last year, no doubt. The year before, when we played better football, he was very useful indeed. He also had a baby at the start of last season and he's only a kid himself. I think he was distracted, and hell, if I was playing under McLeish I'd actively WANT to be distracted. I also think he knows that this a huge season for him and he needs to work his balls off to get into the side.

It's a shame he's out for the first few weeks, I think he'll be a really valuable asset to us later on the season.

It's a shame he's out for the first few weeks, I think he'll be a really valuable asset to us later on the season.

I blinkin hope so ! We only have 2 other proper senior wingers in Holmann and Zoggy. Samir Carruthers will be given a good chance to shine now that hes 3rd/4th choice winger ( depending if PL tries bannan on the wing of course )

Some people have very short memories. Was it not just 2 seasons ago that he won fans player of the month 5 times out of the first 6 ? Of course being an attack minded player in a totally defence minded team setup last season means he is total shite.

I guess it's the same people that used to say Petrov is rubbish, he's a has been, get rid then the month after is Petrov, always said what a great player he is.

Fickle doesn't even come close.

fick·le

   [fik-uhl]

adjective

likely to change, especially due to caprice, irresolution, or instability; casually changeable: fickle weather.

not constant or loyal in affections: a fickle lover.

i dunno, i'm quietly lookign forward to see how albrighton, bannan, gardner etc. develop with PL in charge. hopefully he'll be able to get back to the form of a coupel fo seasons back...

shame he's out, could become a big asset for us, might not, but could.

Much as I rate Lambert as a manager. He won't be able to turn poor players into good ones. Gardner of those you mention is the only one I have any hope for.

I'd rethink that then mate. Bannan has been exceptional so far this preseason and if he is used correctly, he can provide great service for Bent and rack up a shed load of assists this season.

I am not denying bannan hasn't had the odd good game. I just don't see him being a regular for us. He doesn't seem to be able to produce on a regular basis.

Since we lack proper winger bar Albrighton, (don't really think Holman or N'Zogbia excell there) maybe we should try the "Christmas tree" formation a'la Ancelotti at Milan?

4-3-2-1 with Ireland and who ever is in form of Bannan, Holman or N'Zogbia as "trequartistas"

We still need a another CM ballwinner but it might suit our team.

4-3-2-1.gif

It's another player from our squad that we won't have the use of. Whoever DOES play in his place won't have Albrighton sitting on the bench breathing down his neck. That affects team performance too. Competition for places can be almost as important to a selected player's performances as his own ability can be. So to those ... I suppose we can call them supporters, who are putting the guy down at every opportunity, engage your brain.

Sometimes I think you'll only be happy when the only players fit and available for selection are the 11 players that you want to see on the pitch.

Completely agree with this. I'd also add that on several occasions Albrighton has shown the ability to be a top class premier league winger. Obviously his form isn't consistant enough but then he's still young. Those "fans" that have already written him off are either short sighted or lacking in any football brain.

I obviously lack a football brain because i thought albrighton needed replacing anyway this summer.

To go into a season with nzogbia and albrighton as our only wingers means another season of wasting Darren Bent IMO.

We are in desperate need of some attacking players.

CHRIS HERD's your man ^ :D

Herdy is my favourite youngster and I think he is a great DCM. I love seeing him sit just on top of the back four because he is great defensively and works his socks off in that position, giving great cover to the backline so they are not constantly taking on attacking players by themselves. Certainly his only flaw is his passing game, which I hope he continues to improve upon and then he could really establish himself in that position.

He won't be missed though because carruthers is natural cover

Carruthers has kind of overtaken Albrighton anyway is how I'm reading it

Could i borrow this book after youve finished reading it ? :lol:

Theres no way Samir would be in front of albrighton. Samir is inexperienced at top level. Albrighton is experienced + the fact that Albrighton has always been an out and out winger.

Samir was playing CAM for reserves. And since the step up he has had to adapt to a more wide role probably because we already have a sh*t load of CDM,CM and CAM's.

Carruthers has kind of overtaken Albrighton anyway is how I'm reading it
Let's pretend he has for a minute. You don't think having a fit Albrighton ready to step in and take Samir's place would make one iota of a difference to Samir's performances on the pitch do you? That having a more senior player in the squad making sure that your performances had to be at their best wouldn't benefit the team in any way? You can't see that, no?

Herdy is my favourite youngster and I think he is a great DCM. I love seeing him sit just on top of the back four because he is great defensively and works his socks off in that position, giving great cover to the backline so they are not constantly taking on attacking players by themselves. Certainly his only flaw is his passing game, which I hope he continues to improve upon and then he could really establish himself in that position.

Hes class in the air aswell if you watch him got a leap as good as juan pablo's i'd say.

But as i mention if hes playing in the 4-3-2-1 formation. He would only need to do short simple passes because he would have so many Central Midfield players around him.

Hes class in the air aswell if you watch him got a leap as good as juan pablo's i'd say.

But as i mention if hes playing in the 4-3-2-1 formation. He would only need to do short simple passes because he would have so many Central Midfield players around him.

Yeah, agree he is superb in the air, Tim Cahill esque (not quite, but close). I suppose if he does have say El Ahmadi and Ireland sitting on top of him in that formation, his job won't be to be some sort of passing maestro. His job is to mainly break up the other team's build up play and protect the back four. Just probably need to see him develop a bit more in how he reads the game more on the defensive side I suppose. Bot overall, I certainly agree, love Herdy, haha.

Nothing against Albrighton he's just not PL standard for me, can't beat a man can't cross a ball

I'd even rather see Daniel Johnson play in a slightly more infield roll

We also have Zog and Hollman plus whoever else is in the academy

This really isn't an issue

I agree BOF but just substitute Albrighton out of the equation and promote from within

Let's say Hollman starts with Samir on the bench, then next in line is Johnson and then the academy winger

I get your point but in this instance because of how poorly I rate Albrighton I think it's minimal damage

Â