The Midfield

Condimentalist

A narrow midfield with the fullbacks providing the width.

I've heard this a lot. We don't have those kind of quality full backs. And if you play like that, you better be damn sure that your sitting midfielders are doing just that - sitting - or else you'll be murdered on the break. We don't have quality sitting midfielders either (although I think KEA could be one, but really you need both in that formation).

If it was a choice of getting a winger or a DM I think it would have to be a winger for me.

Nzog hasn't really impressed me since his arrival, but hopefully something can change this season now he isn't be asked to defend so much this season.

Albrighton just isn't up to it, which is a really shame as under Houllier I thought he could have been a really talent. Again maybe something that he can turn around.

But with those 2 there are a lot of 'ifs'. I really think to get the best out of Bent, or any other strikers, we could use some better wingers to deliver the ball. Johnson from City would be great, but I can only imagine he would want wages far too high for what we could offer. Any other wingers on the market that we are being linked with, or looking for pastures new?

We could use another strong central midfielder for rotation.

Screw wingers, they are useful if you are playing fast counter attacking football, in general we wont be. We are playing possession based football this season. Locking down the center of midfield remains the priority.

I am happy we are going narrow with the 4-2-2-2 but if we are, then as has been noted we REALLY need to invest in a high quality left back as well.

Albrighton just isn't up to it, which is a really shame as under Houllier I thought he could have been a really talent. Again maybe something that he can turn around.

He's also Injured for the start of the season..

Ah, how long is he out for? The only news I can find on him is dated back the middle of July saying he has returned from a thigh injury.

He's also Injured for the start of the season..

Ah, how long is he out for? The only news I can find on him is dated back the middle of July saying he has returned from a thigh injury.

Not sure tbh, but will miss the start of the season..

KEA

Holman Bannan Ireland Nzogbia

I expect that to be the line up at West Ham and for the first prem games unless things go dreadfully wrong. Gabby will be fit by then so I imagine he'll come back in.

It's been what Lambert has pretty much played all pre season. Is it as good as the midfield we had two seasons ago? Of course not but it has to be better than what we had starting last season....remember Heskey was playing as a third central midfielder!

Isn't Lowton supposed to be an attacking full back?

I think it'll be

----------KEA

----Bannan-Holman

--------Ireland

-----NZog--Bent

vs West Ham.

Unless we get this mystery left back, Bent will be starved of service, Lowton looks promising but not sure he is yet ready to provide the crosses needed. Plus our defence will be over exposed if we go against a physical and dirty side.... like West Ham.

I think it'll be

----------KEA

----Bannan-Holman

--------Ireland

-----NZog--Bent

vs West Ham.

We should change our sponsor to KY if that's our midfield this season.

Truly relegation material. Have we not learned from the last two seasons about having a powder puff midfield in the PL?

I think it'll be

----------KEA

----Bannan-Holman

--------Ireland

-----NZog--Bent

vs West Ham.

Truly relegation material. Have we not learned from the last two seasons about having a powder puff midfield in the PL?

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Have you watched any of the pre-season games?

Well combined with the last seasons and that both our defence and midfield still looks very lightweight i'd still say we'll really struggle against the better sides and against the teams that play oldschool physical brittish football.

Im really worried, but i still hope we sign at least 2 players that will walk straight into the staring 11

I think we are fine when keeping the ball, however when we lose it we are in a bit of trouble.

I'm more worried when we havn't got the ball too.

Â