Match Thread

wedge

Ah did Zog set them up from dead ball delivery?

That's a positive as his free kicks were woeful last season.

They weren't amazing deliveries... some defensive confusion and a deflection was involved in at least one of them. But he crossed it into a dangerous area each time at least.

At the end of the day 3-3 is a good result.. We knew at the start of pre-season that Lambert just wanted the players to have fun as it's a run about for fitness. If Lambert said the same in the dressing room then what we saw wasn't Villa trying all that hard so don't start panicking yet.

sounds like we were dreadful at the back which is worrying but not surprising...

we all said at the end of the season that the defence needs a complete overhaul...

i would be dissapointed if all we manage to do is Cuellar/Collins out and Vlaar/Lowton in...

surely the main positive today is Benty bagging 2 goals and looking fitter by the day...

take that form into next Saturday Darren!

sounds like we were dreadful at the back which is worrying but not surprising...

we all said at the end of the season that the defence needs a complete overhaul...

i would be dissapointed if all we manage to do is Cuellar/Collins out and Vlaar/Lowton in...

surely the main positive today is Benty bagging 2 goals and looking fitter by the day...

While we conceded three goals the defensive dodgyness in this game is firmly the fault of our DM's not helping out, a poor given mistake and using a makeshift fullback after Stevens went off.

I would say Clarke and Vlaar had a decent game.

While we conceded three goals the defensive dodgyness in this game is firmly the fault of our DM's not helping out, a poor given mistake and using a makeshift fullback after Stevens went off.

I would say Clarke and Vlaar had a decent game.

Given: 6 Few good saves but looked at fault for the ghost goal!

Lichaj: 5 Uncharacteristically poor

Vlaar: 7 Immense at times, can't be expected to do it all himself though

Clark: 6 Good goal, looked ok at times but doesn't win enough balls or make enough tackles in my opinion

Stevens: 5 Too easy to get past and doesn't really get fwd much either

KEA: 5 Tidy at times but mostly disappointing in terms of his overall contribution to the game (compared to what he can do), i don't think he and Delph complemented each other

Delph: 5 Sublime assist and tidy passing at times veering to suicidal and ridiculous, showed some signs of improvement but that is only because he has been so bad in recent times

Holman: 5 Did nothing bad, just nothing good either

Zog: 6 Some nice set pieces.... but same old same old, takes on too many defenders and doesn't even try and run on goal anymore.

Weimann 6 - Showed promise and unselfish for the first goal, but very isolated also.

Bent 7 - Did what he needed to do very well, but not much service despite scoring twice.

Subs: Ireland - 6 We looked better when he was on

Bannan - 5 Didn't do much

Gardener - 4 No time to even touch the ball

We passed well and looked dangerous at set pieces, but had little width and our full backs were over run.

We are desperate for more players, please god let there be a few more in the pipe line, anymore key injuries and we'll be fighting at the wrong end.

First half was alright. Second half Bremen were all over us!

The main two positives for us are that Bent scored twice and Vlaar looked solid again. We've conceded six goals in the two games that Vlaar has played in so far but he hasn't been at fault for any of them. The last two games have just highlighted even more that we still need to strengthen defensively and we already know that if Bent gets injured we are **** for goals. I'm really hoping for a busy two weeks for us in the transfer market, preferably with at least one new recruit before the West Ham game!

Sounds like there's no protection of the back 4. Badly need a fit physical bad ass DM who can pass.. any of those around? Prob not in our price range. Herd will have to start with Ahmadi and Ireland with Holman and Nzogbia as wingers.. we need another winger and striker or a player than can play either. Like Gouffran

On the evidence of the 2nd half, we are going to be fighting relegation again this season

Really poor, no midfield no full backs, no attacking intent

And how do you give Ireland a 6 ?? He was shite when he came on

On the evidence of the 2nd half, we are going to be fighting relegation again this season

Too early for a "Lambert Out" thread ?!!!!

How did we manage to score 3 times then? What sourcery is this?

I would say overall looking at yesterday's the things I saw were:

- A good partnership from Vlaar and Clark, the only real mistake there was on the second goal where I feel Clark lost his man a bit

- Fullbacks were a bit shaky for me but I think Lichaj did fairly well and that Elia is a tricky customer. I expect us to bring in a new LB before West Ham and Stevens probably played so Lambert could asses if he can be a reliable back up for the position for this season. With a new LB, we could then expect Lowton and the new guy starting with Lichaj filling in when needed.

- The midfield lacked a bit of bite yesterday, at times the passing was great and we had wonderful movements, but at others the game passed us by a bit. I expect against West Ham, Ireland will take Delph's place because while I think Delph was decent at times, he is still too shaky and unpredicitable at others and can make some very poor decision.

- N'Zogbia showed good involvement and was most dangerous when cutting inside, hence why I expect us to keep up a more narrow approach in our attack.

- Bent and Weimann played well off each other and would not be surprised if both start next week.

Â