SPECULATION: Maya Yoshida (VVV Venlo)

Villan4Life

sky sports

VVV Venlo chairman Hai Berden has admitted that Maya Yoshida was on Aston Villa's radar before Ron Vlaar's move was finalised, and believes the defender is ready to join a bigger club.

Yoshida, who is currently captaining Japan's Olympic squad, has earned rave reviews for his performances in the Eredivisie over the past couple of years.

Berden says it looked like he could have been on his way to Villa when Vlaar's switch to the Midlands from Feyenoord briefly appeared to have collapsed.

The VVV official is in no doubt that Yoshida has the potential to play at the very highest level, with reports suggesting that he is a target for other clubs in England as well as Germany.

"Maya already attracted the interest of Aston Villa, but finally the transfer of Ron Vlaar went through," Berden told De Telegraaf.

"For VVV and Maya this is the perfect moment for him to make the step to a bigger club."

speaks good english

this sounds more like Yoshida could have been signed if the Vlaar deal didn't go through.

Can't see him being signed now (unless he can play left back!!!)

Dunne is out injured, i think Lambert is after another centre back as only got Clark, Vlaar and Baker to play there, plus gives us more of a squad

This could still be on, hence why posted as it's also in the evening mail as well..

we have to sign another centre half, we lost cuellar and sold collins and only brought 1 in, dunnes out for 2 months, we cant go into the season with a centre half who hasnt played in pl, clarke who played midfield last season and baker who whilst i think he has a big future needs a strong defender to partner him.

May have been a back up in case Vlaar deal didn't happen, and now it has, they might be touting him about because they want him sold, see if someone else becomes interested.

I had a free ticket to see a double match at Coventry last week. The Japan vs Honduras game was pretty dull, and nobody really stood out in that game if I'm honest. I do vaguely recall seeing this guy playing, and Japan defended quite well so I guess he did ok in that respect. Other than that the game was passed around the middle of the park with not a lot of goalmouth action, so I couldn't say whether he'd do well in the PL.

The second match was the better of the two, and I was impressed with the Senegal left wing back. I don't know his name but he was fast, strong and got forward very well. He also put in some fantastic crosses, which the Senegal strijers should have scored from. The only concern with him was that he was prone to decapitating someone. He was a tough tackler, and I could see him picking up a few reds in the PL.

Â