Match Thread

Condimentalist

Its very early days but I hope lambert quickly bins a clark\vlaar partnership.

Why?

I just don't see it working:-

Neither is particularly fast

Clark isn't great in the air - and looks to easily muscled off the ball.

Haven't seen Vlaar - apart from the euros - but he looks more of a ball playing cb - than a rough n tumble english CB. - Got turned very easily a few times today is what im hearing.

Maybe Chris Herd can resume CB duties

I see Lambert's grace period hasn't even lasted until the start of the season for some.

No-one is blaming Lambert.

Why blame anyone? We'll lose to some shite teams this season no doubt. Nothing like a VT match thread for overreactions.

I think people need to realise exactly what pre-season is for. It's for fitness and for finding out tactics that work. Yes it's disappointing to lose, I'm just glad that teams like Chelsea and Man City lost to equal and lesser opposition, I think it would be harder to quell the disappointment without those facts.

yes i agree, just get angry whenever we lose, no matter who it is against or when, but there is no point during preseason.

I just really expected to see our best side (available) put in the best performance so far, but that was pretty unrealistic at this stage.

I honestly can't put it into words to tell you how much I hate Stephen Warnock!!!

I know it's only a pre season friendly but we shouldn't be losing 3-1 to teams like Forest. I always find it hard to stomach when we lose to lower league teams though.

It's obvious a lot of people on this forum have never played the game. Friendlies don't matter apart from fitness and trying new ideas out and results are a bonus. The mind set is totally different to when you play competitively.

No KEA is not that player judging by PL's comments the other week

Any idea why Bannan was captain? Is it all pure experimentation at this stage ?

it was an odd choice, although it shows Lambert seems to rate him.

did any other subs get on aside from Bent?

Its very early days but I hope lambert quickly bins a clark\vlaar partnership.

Why?

I just don't see it working:-

Neither is particularly fast

Clark isn't great in the air - and looks to easily muscled off the ball.

Haven't seen Vlaar - apart from the euros - but he looks more of a ball playing cb - than a rough n tumble english CB. - Got turned very easily a few times today is what im hearing.

Maybe Chris Herd can resume CB duties

Daft.

Seems you've already have your preconceptions about him and looked to just reenforce them.

In all honesty, a defeat will probably be no bad thing at this stage

Kick up the backside for them all

Ci talking some sense :)

Credit where it's due, at least 2 of my 3,247 posts this week have made sense ;-)

I went, the positive were Bannan and N'zogbia.

Top of the negatives was waiting for those poor girls having to pour us pints out of plastic bottles? WTF this caused a 15 min delay to kick-off and lots to miss the first bit of the 2nd half. Forest obviously not used to having such a big away following at their stadium as logistically it was awful.

Bannan really looked great lots written him off but he's one of best players for sure.

Have we had reports from anyone who actually went today

What were the positives ?

Just a brief report

Guzan - did what he has too, couldn't really be blamed

Lowton - looked ok but just needs time

Vlaar - very strong when needed, had some sights of goal, comfortable

Clark - paired with Vlaar well, nothing special but ok

Warnock - shouldn't be given another shirt to put on, not good

Holman - hardly saw him, had sights of goal, nothing special

Bannan - great free kick, saw lots of the ball, promising

KEA - really like the look of him, very comfortable on the ball, creates chances

Ireland - paired with KEA well, look very good together

N'Zogbia - best I have seen of him, should have done more with his chances

Fonz - weight do a lot, one disallowed goal, ok but no more

SUB

Bent - offside more than on, did ok, had a few chances but didn't make much of them

Overall. It's not a bad effort but additions to the team look promising for the future. Great following by villa fans today and all in all a great day other than the result

Have we had reports from anyone who actually went today

What were the positives ?

Just a brief report

Guzan - did what he has too, couldn't really be blamed

Lowton - looked ok but just needs time

Vlaar - very strong when needed, had some sights of goal, comfortable

Clark - paired with Vlaar well, nothing special but ok

Warnock - shouldn't be given another shirt to put on, not good

Holman - hardly saw him, had sights of goal, nothing special

Bannan - great free kick, saw lots of the ball, promising

KEA - really like the look of him, very comfortable on the ball, creates chances

Ireland - paired with KEA well, look very good together

N'Zogbia - best I have seen of him, should have done more with his chances

Fonz - weight do a lot, one disallowed goal, ok but no more

SUB

Bent - offside more than on, did ok, had a few chances but didn't make much of them

Overall. It's not a bad effort but additions to the team look promising for the future. Great following by villa fans today and all in all a great day other than the result

Cheers for that mate. Certainly seems the main sticking point for today is that Warnock is still gash, and that probably will not change soon. Hopefully Lichaj gets a start next Saturday. Glad to see Bannan doing well again, obviously he has a point to prove and Lambert has the young man motivated this season.

Â