Match Thread

Condimentalist

Guzan - respectable, might have done better for the 3rd goal

Lowton - Looked alright, needs to take on the defence a bit mire

Vlaar - good passer, got turned a few times and needs to time his jumps for headers a little bit better

Clark - similar to his usual performances

Warnock* - Worst player on the pitch by far, must have let the ball go out of play because of his poor touch 3/4 times. Shocking!

Holman - could have done better, did alright should have buried a chance in the 2nd half at 1-1

Bannan - great goal, good passing, played well

KEA - flicky, tricky and passing well still, good player

Ireland - good passing linking well with all midfielders

N'zogbia - tried really hard today, had a few good runs, needs to build his confidence

Delfonzz - didn't see much of him, not sure why his goal was disallowed...?

Bent - needs to get back into the rhythm of regular first team football, we still tend to be hoofing it up to him for some reason...

In summary: We need to shoot more! So many times we got in shooting opportunities and we decided to pass it out wide, where the move dissolved, we also need to shoot sooner, too many times we delayed in the shot and it was blocked very easily by the Forest Defence. Hopefully Lambert will sort them out before West Spam, but I was lolling at how seriously Forest we're taking it, they celebrated every goal like it was a cup game, wen't mental. I guess it means much more for them than it does for us, cute little team from leicester!

*NB on Warnock, Honestly wound me up so much today, he was nothing but utter utter shite! Get him out! Why Lichaj wasn't playing LB i do not know...

Lambert worked them hard today and we were leggy in the last 20 minutes or so and it showed when we got pulled apart by Forest subs fresh legs.

We had 10 players out there who wanted the ball, the other one being the clown at left back, embarassment again. Good to see how much we wanted to play football and how effective Barry Bannan can be. There was a tendency to overplay at times but we looked a threat, particularly when Bent came on and looked to run in behind. KEA and Vlaar both look handy, don't fancy either Lowton or Holman on this showing, but I look forward to being proven wrong.

Don't worry about today, it was all about fitness for the First XI and Forest gave them a decent workout, nothing more and nothing less. For the record, Forest look a very ordinary side, I imagine their messageboards will be buzzing with stories of how great they looked and anticipating promotion, that side will be lucky to finish mid way up.

I went to the game today. Was extremely excited to see how we'd play after watching the other pre season games... was bitterly disappointed. We looked very poor in midfield. I'm a big fan of Ireland but he was very poor today.

The only positive was nzogbia but he seems to do everything right but lacks the end product.

I know this game doesn't really mean much but we looked completely out of ideas going forward.

Hope to see a more creative villa in the next game.

Not long got back from the game,really enjoyed the day out apart from the result obviously,I think we are just a couple players short,a left back and another striker. The midfield wasn't great today but I'm sure that will improve when they get used to playing with eachother. Great support today as well!!

I thought we were dreadful. Absolutely no clue when it came to attacking play. Harsh but true. None of the signings did anything of note. Stop trying to do things on the cheap, Lerner. Invest some serious cash or sell up and feck off.

From the 3 pre season games I've been to this season, it's been a similar story every game - I've been pleased with the improvements made in the football we are playing - I had very nearly forgotten what that looked like in Villa shirts. But in everyone of those games aswell we've struggled in front of goal. There's no cutting edge whatsoever. I don't think it's something we need to panic about, it'll come as the team gets more used to Lambert's system, and the new signings gel with the team. I would not be surprised if it does cause us to have a slow start to the season though.

I thought we were dreadful. Absolutely no clue when it came to attacking play. Harsh but true. None of the signings did anything of note. Stop trying to do things on the cheap, Lerner. Invest some serious cash or sell up and feck off.

Clueless.

Its never really a bad thing to lose a friendly!

Tempers imposible expectations from fans, and gives a gentle reminder to the powers that be that that more investment is needed.

Its never really a bad thing to lose a friendly!

Tempers imposible expectations from fans, and gives a gentle reminder to the powers that be that that more investment is needed.

quite true but i dont think major work is needed. replace ireland warnock with some quality

View from behind the goal

Positives:

We're attempting to pass the ball around on the floor, and there is movement off the ball

N'Zogbia had some decent bursts of pace, and if he can rediscover the bit that matters (the confidence to have a go) he'll be fine

Bannan has found his form again under a manager that wants to try and play football

KEA looks extremely comfortable on the ball

Vlaar and Clark showed glimpses of a potential good pairing, But these things take time. They wont happen overnight

Bent looked happy, if a bit rusty (obviously)

Lowton, annoyed me a bit in the first half by not going for the line to cross when given the chance, but did in the second half once or twice.

Good turnout by our lot

Negatives:

With this new passing style, we got bogged down by over passing and going nowhere with it on more than a few occassions. You've got to know when to hit the killer ball as passing it round for the sake of passing it around is just as pointless as hoofing it

The complete lack of width. The middle four, Holman, Bannan, Ireland, KEA left a gaping hole ahead of Lowton as nobody felt inclined to go out to the right and get down the line. We need to pick 3 from 4 there and get a winger in (or play N'Zogbia wide). Or some would say it was a 4-2-3-1 formation, either way we have no width. And if you have no width it's incredibly hard to hit on the counter at pace or get the ball into the box for the likes of Bent to get on the end of

Warnock. Enough said. He's awful

Ireland. Expected him to flourish, but he didn't do anything of note and was definitely overshadowed by Bannan/KEA

Holman. Nice industry, but not sure he should be a guaranteed starter week in week out

Lowton, obviously the lad needs to find his feet. But too many times he'd get up the pitch then stop, and play the ball sideways, this lost momentum. Needs to get down the wing if thats his remit and whip the ball into the box

Guzan didn't really do anything to impress

We still have an amazing amount of bellends in our support. No matter how many times you tell everyone at the top of your voice that 'i've had too much to drink to care', it doesn't get any more amusing or interesting.

Singing (on your own) at a bloke in a wheelchair 'sit down if you love Villa' or 'your dads not your dad' (???) to the opposition fans amongst other hilarious chants ... such as repeatedly pointing out to their keeper that his name is Camp, yes he probably didn't know, and the usual depressing paki reference to god knows who

If you can't handle the beer and the sunshine together without turning into an unevolved plonker, it's best to skip it

Support your team, sing your heart out, enjoy your day. But if you have to lower yourself to those levels then you probably should take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself why

It's all well and good to have light hearted banter at games, but I've noticed more and more how alcohol is ruining away games

Teenagers who can't handle their ale and then rocking up in the away end pissed with abusive chanting

It's not big, it's not clever and it gives the club a terrible name

Luckily the majority are brilliant supporters

Highlights are up on AVTV, full match footage and highlights are included, in the 2nd half highlights at 3-1, Jack Woodward starts having a dig at the Nottingham fans, it's funny xD, I like the fact that when Bannan scored we almost treated it like a goal that meant something, there was the classic roar, and a little bit of prolonged roar, with the fist pumping etc... (something we didn't see at Burton Albion). Great turn out from us and I had a good day with one of my mates, who's a derby fan, who hates the shit out of Forest :'(

I think people need to retain a sense of perspective, Chelsea lost 3-1 to Brighton yesterday.

The whole point of pre season friendlies is to try out players and formations. There is about 4 weeks to go before the transfer window closes so if players need to both go and come in there is plenty of time.

Â