Trapped in the.... Decades you love most and for what

b23avfc

So this thread is already starting to confirm my theory that most people think culture peaked whenever they were in their early/mid 20s. :P

So this thread is already starting to confirm my theory that most people think culture peaked whenever they were in their early/mid 20s. :P
Not me. That would be the late 70s, and the only thing I chose from that decade was football.

Not me. That would be the late 70s, and the only thing I chose from that decade was football.

I think the 70s were a great era for Music, Politics and social 'upheaval'. The 70s spawned the Monster known as The Thatch, who went on to destroy the Fabric of British society/culture for the next decade, and whose ruinous reign we still now feel the effects of, and have not yet broken free of.

It was a superbly tumultuous decade.

I think people she actively want to seek out cultural things from both past and from the present, although many just view their 'growing up' period through halcyon spectacles and accept no other time was ever 'as good'.

love the 90's.

football, music, films, emerging technology, everything.

i have a feeling everyone will love the decade that they were aged 16-24.

thats the golden age (in hindsight) for everyone.

Close, but not for me.

The "noughties" (hate that) were when I was 16-24. And it was a great time, but I prefer the 90s

love the 90's.

football, music, films, emerging technology, everything.

i have a feeling everyone will love the decade that they were aged 16-24.

thats the golden age (in hindsight) for everyone.

Close, but not for me.

The "noughties" (hate that) were when I was 16-24. And it was a great time, but I prefer the 90s

Same here Ben.

I have a nostalgia for the 70s, when I'd have been 3-7. I still remember bits of it.

I hope not. I'm there now and think most things are shit. It has to get better than this!

What about decimalised currency and Brut aftershave?

What about decimalised currency and Brut aftershave?

:D Funny you should mention decimalised currency. After my Grandpa Simpson musings on alphanumeric phone numbers, it occurred to me that the other thing that really does mark me out as an oldie is the fact that I grew up completely familar with pre-decimal money. I could still do Pounds, Shillings and Pence maths if I had to (which I obviously don't).

As for Brut, never used it (or any other perfu^H^H^H "aftershave").

Well, as an eighties boy I don't think culture is peaking about now, although, US telly at the moment is pretty spiffing.

Can't pinpoint a decade for anything really, except to say I have a growing to desire to see far more films from the 30s-50's, etc, seeing La Grand Illusion and Dr Strangelove in recent months, definitely two of my favourite films, has given me the taste to watch more of these.

Musically I'm all over the place, and will generally just listen to whatever my friends recommend, or what I may randomly stumble across. Although, I want to get into more 'blues' and proper **** rnb, none of this shit from the past 20 years, the old school stuff I've heard snippets of but want to listen to more of that. Blues / Soul/ before what I can roughly suggest was ruined by the late 80s / early 90s mtvification of the genre. But otherwise, a good tune, is a good tune, whether it's Captain Beefheart, Kraftwerk or the Foo Fighters.

Literary? Impossible THere's so many books I want to to read, can't even confine that to decades, tends to be more nations or genres like the russians or the french, something with a philosophical twang or crime fiction. or offbeat gaiman esqueness.

Clothing: haven't really given a toss about that since I was a kid and had that revolting youthful urge to wear tracksuits all the time, like adidas or whatever. Mercifully gone now.

Although I will say this: I can't **** stand more or less anything from the 80's. A decade where Ayn Rand's "philosophy" was popular must have been rather revolting to live through as an adult. Actually, wait, in terms of films - Indiana Jones and Back to the Future save that scrapheap of a decade. And van Halen. :lol:

Born in the mid 70's, love the 80's. Absolutely the best decade for so many things. The only thing I prefer to the 80's is the films in the 90's and the fact that I wish I was a bit older during the 80's.

Things that happened during the 80's? Well, Villa 80/81 and 82. The world cup of 82. Even the world cup 86 and the EC of 88. And the music. Just loved it. And I discovered Stephen King at the time. Though books are timeless.

And the weather was a lot better.

Apart from the miners' strike, did anything of significance actually happen in the 1980s?

A decade of musical divergence and experimentation whose legacy lasts to this day

David Hasselhoff brought about the fall of communism.

Apart from the miners' strike, did anything of significance actually happen in the 1980s?

A decade of musical divergence and experimentation whose legacy lasts to this day

Unfortunately.

The only good things about the 80s happened in 81 and 82 and involved Aston Villa.

And ME!! I was born in 81'. So obviously the 80's we great for something. :P

I love 50's and 60's musically. I also love the 50's clothing style.

The only good things about the 80s happened in 81 and 82 and involved Aston Villa.

Given the parameters of the original post, I excluded personal events. I got married, and both my daughters were born in the 80s so, yeah. :D

Given the parameters of the original post, I excluded personal events. I got married, and both my daughters were born in the 80s so, yeah. :D

That's more like it Mooney :)

Â