David O'Leary signing?

Poise

Commander your memory is rather hazy!

Barry was used as primarily a left mid / winger and occasionally as a left back under O'Dreary, it was MON that successfully converted Barry into a central midfielder. Barry was signed under Brian Little I thing and it was Gregory that gave him his chance as a centre back.

Agbonlahor was going to be sold to SHA for 3 million when O'Dreary was sacked by Ellis for his act of insubordination. Gabby was very raw back then and quite frankly I believe MON worked wonders with him. He was also in charge of those dreadful results against SHA. Also what about Djemba Djemba? Selling Crouch for 1.5 million to Saints?

Laursen, Bouma and Milner on loan and Solano were his only good signings and two of those were gone after a season and the other two were plagued with debilitating injuries. Why don't you ask Leeds fans about his record with signings? Seth Johnson?

Whitts left mid / winger. Barry Centre.

DOL >>>>> MON and he did it on <25% of MONs leaving wage bill.

I agree that MON bought the best out of Gabby. DJDJ was poop but he cost 825k, and had champions league experience, a little bit better value for money than NRC for £8m, Sidwell for £5.5m.

Again I'd liek to reiterate I detested DOL as manager but I think he's genuinely a better manager than MON (less so in terms of motivation and public relations but in other areas better) - but he was / is a monumental prick and he's only got himself to blame why he's no longer employed in the prem league. OH and yeah I agree that he spent / wasted loads t Leeds but at Villa most of his signings were good (on paper at least) - with the majority having champions league experience, he worked wonders with the kids (looking back) whilst not spending a lot of money (bar Baros) and the signings of Laursen and Bouma - are the two most exciting we've made since Collymore.

Was he Deadlys' last appointment?

I think he was, although I'm not sure if O' Neill was technically, as wasn't that his last bit of business before he passed the baton to Lerner.

Barry was used as primarily a left mid / winger and occasionally as a left back under O'Dreary, it was MON that successfully converted Barry into a central midfielder. Barry was signed under Brian Little I thing and it was Gregory that gave him his chance as a centre back.

Agbonlahor was going to be sold to SHA for 3 million when O'Dreary was sacked by Ellis for his act of insubordination. Gabby was very raw back then and quite frankly I believe MON worked wonders with him. He was also in charge of those dreadful results against SHA. Also what about Djemba Djemba? Selling Crouch for 1.5 million to Saints?

Laursen, Bouma and Milner on loan and Solano were his only good signings and two of those were gone after a season and the other two were plagued with debilitating injuries. Why don't you ask Leeds fans about his record with signings? Seth Johnson?

I agree that MON bought the best out of Gabby. DJDJ was poop but he cost 825k, and had champions league experience, a little bit better value for money than NRC for £8m, Sidwell for £5.5m.

Again I'd liek to reiterate I detested DOL as manager but I think he's genuinely a better manager than MON (less so in terms of motivation and public relations but in other areas better) - but he was / is a monumental prick and he's only got himself to blame why he's no longer employed in the prem league. OH and yeah I agree that he spent / wasted loads t Leeds but at Villa most of his signings were good (on paper at least) - with the majority having champions league experience, he worked wonders with the kids (looking back) whilst not spending a lot of money (bar Baros) and the signings of Laursen and Bouma - are the two most exciting we've made since Collymore.

I don't know where to start..... :?

Whitts made he debut in 2003/2004 season and was at Villa for another 4 seasons in that time he made a total of 56 appearances thats an average of 12 per season! Most of thime Barry played left wing under DOL he was played briefly at centre mid but DOL decided it wasn't working and moved him back to left wing!

Djemba x2 played only a handful of games was always crap and was probably our highest earner and then left for free. Reo had a solid first season under MON playing almost every game and featured often in his second season, then in his final season under Houllier he was one of our best players that season. Djemba x2 NEVER DID ANYTHING HE WAS CONSTANTLY SHITE! We signed Sidwell from Chelsea a champions league team, was seen as a player with a bright future and when he was signed most on here were looking forward to seeing him play. He flopped but we still got a 3 million transfer fee for him.

Worked wonders with the kids? Whitts left and has been a championship player, Ridgewell is still as rubbish as he was then (gone as well) Cahill was given a chance (forced not choice we had no senior defenders fit) but was way off from the player he is now. Luke Moore flop. Only one young player he did well with Davis! And there was all those derby defeats!

yeah the signings that got em to champs league semi-final....... he may have **** up with Johnson (injuries) but he did sign Bakke, Dacourt, Viduka, Bowyer, Ferdinand etc.......

I'm trying to name our worst signings ever and I do remember O'Leary signing a foreign (I think he was Croatian) center half and then literally never playing him.

I can't for the life of me remember his name though???

Can anyone help?

Pretty sure it's Vaclav Drobny. Even his name suggests he's shite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A1clav_Drobn%C3%BD

That page does mention "English giants, Aston Villa" so I'm not sure how accurate it is?

After the last two managers hindsight makes DOL's tenure look a lot better.

Despite listing the poor signings, how about listing the good ones he made. Martin Laursen and Fredi Bouma standout in my mind and despite what we may have thought of Meeeeelan Baros, he also was a very good striker when he put his mind on his game rather than his lifestyle.

IIRC , DOL was also responsible in getting Gabby's and Steve Davis' careers started.

There were a couple of times last season when I wished we also had Roy Aitken DOL's assistant coaching the team instead of the dire stuff that we suffered through.

Time can do many things. I never thought my opinion of DOL would change so much for the better until I realised that things can be so much worse.

You're having a laugh aren't you, 05/06 was just as depressingly shite as last season and that was after O'dreary had spent a decent amount that summer.

Bouma took ages to get going and only really showed his best form the second half of the following season.

Baros?! We talk about poor players trading like selling Cahill for 5m and singing Davies for 10m, well I don't think Vassell going for 2m andf Baros replacing him for 6m was that bright either.

Baros was very underwhleming when he was here, certainly a player living off a great international tournament as he hasn't done much since he's left us has he?

• 2 weeks later...
Â