Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

That's just the substitute fallacy. Truth is no one knows if Donacien is ready and somehow he should start against United as if that will make the situation better.

We had shitty luck with our center backs. That's just how it is with a thin squad.

but could say the same about other teams, injuries are part of football. even with all their wealth City have had defensive crisis with a lot of injuries this season that they had Garcia playing there a few times

That's just the substitute fallacy. Truth is no one knows if Donacien is ready and somehow he should start against United as if that will make the situation better.

We had shitty luck with our center backs. That's just how it is with a thin squad.

No I fully agree. I find it amusing that people say he should be on the bench with such authority, without any knowledge of what stage in his development he's at.

We undoubtedly have a thin squad, but we do have 4 dedicated CB's which, it would seem, is in line with the majority of other clubs.  Smetrov was saying that the manager should've bought another one, which is where the discussion began IIRC.

It's more to do with the fact that after the first 3 CB's, there's a drop off in quality to no. 4.  The bad luck is having no's 1 & 2 out at the same time.

Vlaar and Clark as CB duo has been the best part of our team this season. Our problems lie elsewhere.

Okore would have been fine as a back up and starter too.

Baker is an ok fourth choice.

We've had rotten luck, and an upgrade to Baker would have been great. But there has to be a limit to back ups for a team with limited resources like us.

If we had more money I'd have used it elsewhere, not CB. Like AM.

The simple fact is that If you took out the first choice centre back pairings of the majority of teams in the league then they're likely to struggle defensively. Really thought Okore and Vlaar had the potential to be an excellent partnership as they offer different qualities to each other and are both good on the ball. Clarke and Baker would then have been fine as backups

For City Richards is primarily a right back these days but can play there in an emergency so bit like Herd and Lowton.

Demiechels ain't up too much, doesn't look much better than Baker and think they only signed him as they thought Lescott would be on the move which will probably happen in January.

We would've been covered had Okore not been out for the season.

Ive been watching villa for 40 years - seen some great teams

1974/5 Promotion & League Cup Double winning side

1977 - league Cup winning side

1980/81 - Championship Side

1982 - Nuff Said

1989/90 - Runner up team Graham Taylor

The Cup winning teams of Big Ron + Brain Little

None of the teams above  had rookies playing at cenre back.

Its often overlooked but the 1980/81 team was packed with players around 20 years old - Yet we had 2 stalwarts Evans/Mcnaught at centre half 

1982 team started to fall apart when local lad Brendan Ormsby was given a run at CB after the sale of Mcnaught.

...You need senior pro's at the back....

• Like 1

1982 - Nuff Said

Its often overlooked but the 1980/81 team was packed with players around 20 years old - Yet we had 2 stalwarts Evans/Mcnaught at centre half 

1982 team started to fall apart when local lad Brendan Ormsby was given a run at CB after the sale of Mcnaught.

I'm sorry but what relevance do seasons that happened decades ago have to today? There's no point in living in the past.

You need good players at the back, just like everywhere else. We looked great defensively under Vlaar and Clark despite the fact that Clark could hardly be described as a "senior pro".

Edited by Mantis

1982 - Nuff Said

I'm sorry but what relevance do seasons that happened decades ago have to today? There's no point in living in the past.

You need good players at the back, just like everywhere else. We looked great defensively under Vlaar and Clark despite the fact that Clark could hardly be described as a "senior pro".

Because if you do not review what went on in the past how do you learn so you take the correct path in the future?

History is more than just a collection of stories.

Lol who said anything about winning trophies this year?

A couple years down the line when the current crop of CB's are more experienced then we might get a cup run but trying to draw comparisons of the squads that won cups to this one is silly

Think you are missing the point, what Smetrov means and correct me if I'm wrong is that it is best to have experience in key positions. Having two rookie centre-halves is a recipe for conceding goals much like around the festive period last year.

yeah but I dont think Clark and Okore or Clark and Baker would be probably be better than having Cuellar and Collins at centre half

That's exactly it. It would have been all fine and roses if it was Vlaar and Okore with Clark as backup and Baker as 4th choice.

Outside of the top teams, if you take out any of their top two pairings at CB, they will be demonstratively worse. Vlaar you can make a case for injury but a season long one to Okore was a bad luck. We had reasonable cover with the squad and budget and in all honesty, there was a lot of other areas to improve other than CB during the summer.

1982 - Nuff Said

None of the teams above had rookies playing at cenre back.

Brendan Ormsby? Haha, it's been a long time since I heard that name. Thanks smetrov!

Oh, and I kind of agree with your point regarding experience at CB. If given the choice, you would want both of them experienced. However, one experienced one can suffice also, like Mantis' example shows.

Edited by AVTuco

Because if you do not review what went on in the past how do you learn so you take the correct path in the future?

When it comes to football history is often irrelevant to the present, and I say this as somebody who is proud of our history. Football is completely different today.

When it comes to football history is often irrelevant to the present, and I say this as somebody who is proud of our history. Football is completely different today.

Well I disagree - if anything its tougher for a youngster to cut it in the prem.

Like I say I can't think of villa side that won anything with a couple of rookie CB'S - I can't really think of a pairing at another club either...

Well I disagree - if anything its tougher for a youngster to cut it in the prem.

Like I say I can't think of villa side that won anything with a couple of rookie CB'S - I can't really think of a pairing at another club either...

Well firstly we're not really in the hunt for trophies this season and secondly we would have a CB who isn't a "rookie" playing but he's injured at the moment.

Â