Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Disappointing that Clarke/Baker still seem so naive playing together despite another year of PL football.

Vlaar is now looking a massive miss and we are in danger of following up last years Xmas of hell.

Baker has been a big disappointment for me starting to look very cumbersome indeed

Defense will continue to be trouble until he is back.

Chasm of ability between Vlaar and Baker

I think this is the big issue. Okore and Clark might be fine, but Baker is just so much worse than any of the other options, herd included.

I agree we need him back. But lets not be surprised, especially if your the manager, that your injury prone defender gets injured. Now that could have been off set by signing an adequate replacement for when he does. We didn't.

We needed two centre backs in the summer as Clark and Baker despite never giving less than 100% aren't good enough. We signed one in Okore who is 20 years old and had played 65 games in an inferior league. Looks an excellent prospect but I am not sure that prospects are what we needed.

• Like 1

In fairness most clubs get by with 4 centre halfs with someone else who can fill in an emergency (Herd).

I was very critical of Clark last season but he has improved significantly this year although not yet ready to be the senior man in there when Ron is out.

It was terrible luck to lose Okore, not just the manner as I doubt anyone thought when he limped off against Newcastle that was a season ending injury but also the timing. If he'd suffered the injury against Liverpool say we'd still have had a week of the transfer window to get someone in on loan to cover.

But that mean with Ron and let's not forget Baker's injury record we were always at risk of having a crisis if one of those got injured and that is happening now.

It's a shame as our defence has generally been good this year (before the Fulham game I believe it was the 6th best defence in the league) but Ron was the glue and things are slipping now he's not around.

I agree we need him back. But lets not be surprised, especially if your the manager, that your injury prone defender gets injured. Now that could have been off set by signing an adequate replacement for when he does. We didn't.

We needed two centre backs in the summer as Clark and Baker despite never giving less than 100% aren't good enough. We signed one in Okore who is 20 years old and had played 65 games in an inferior league. Looks an excellent prospect but I am not sure that prospects are what we needed.

If it wasn't for Okore getting an season-ending injury I think we'd be fine. As VillaChris said, most clubs only get by on 4 natural CBs. The issue was addressed in the summer but Lambert had no way of knowing that his new CB would get such a bad injury so soon into the season.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

To those saying we should've brought in more CB's in the summer: it's easy to say that now. More CB's would just have been too much in the beginning of the season.

I'd have gotten rid of at least one of Baker or Clark who I don't think are up to Prem standard.

As with all positions we aren't lacking in numbers. We are lacking in quality. Our first 11 will get us mid table. Our squad as a whole though is poor and 3 or 4 players out due to injuries/suspensions, which will obviously happen over a season, and the replacements, especially for key players, simply aren't good enough.

Â