Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Repeat of last year, excellent result against Liverpool (this year Southampton) then the wheels came off.

Vlaar out for 135 minutes, 4 goals conceded. Could have been many more in both games. Just against Fulham today it could have been many more, we cleared twice off the line and had the goal frame hit twice. Nobody knows how we didn't concede more against Southampton.

Against Man Utd next week, it's going to be a cricket score.

Repeat of last year, excellent result against Liverpool (this year Southampton) then the wheels came off.

Vlaar out for 135 minutes, 4 goals conceded. Could have been many more in both games. Just against Fulham today it could have been many more, we cleared twice off the line and had the goal frame hit twice. Nobody knows how we didn't concede more against Southampton.

Bit premature don't you think? I mean, Vlaar got injured last season in late November if I'm not mistaken. We coped ok without him for a few games and then the wheels came off for some reason.

Bit premature don't you think? I mean, Vlaar got injured last season in late November if I'm not mistaken. We coped ok without him for a few games and then the wheels came off for some reason.

Man Utd are smarting from being beaten twice in a row and being 9th in the table. They've got nothing better to do than thrash the team just below them in the table to make themselves feel good again.

If we don't get thrashed then I'd conclude the defence has improved and this won't happen again.

I'd be tempted with this line up. 

Lowton, Clark, Herd, Baker, Luna - Bacuna, El Ahmadi, Delph - Kozak, Agbonlahor

The most resilient line up we have available.

Kozak - used to be a CB before he turned striker, so he will be better defending set pieces than Benteke.

Agbonlahor - plays at home for this one because against Man Utd we'll need his counter-attack.

When we attack, Bacuna and Delph can cover LB, RB positions when Lowton and Luna push forward.

Herd - man-marks Rooney or Van Persie, whichever is considered easier.

Man Utd are smarting from being beaten twice in a row and being 9th in the table. They've got nothing better to do than thrash the team just below them in the table to make themselves feel good again.

If we don't get thrashed then I'd conclude the defence has improved and this won't happen again.

Kozak - used to be a CB before he turned striker, so he will be better defending set pieces than Benteke.

Agbonlahor - plays at home for this one because against Man Utd we'll need his counter-attack.

When we attack, Bacuna and Delph can cover LB, RB positions when Lowton and Luna push forward.

Delphs suspended due to 5 yellow cards.

I would consider putting Herd int CM. I thought he was okay when he had his stint in the team there. United's central midfield is pretty weak physically if Fellaini is still out. I imagine if someone is set up to mark Cleverley and rough him up it would essentially take him out of the game (not that he does a lot anyway) I think Herd could do a good job at putting himself about and just being a nuisance to their players, I think he's got decent defensive qualities but we can all see that he's just not a CB. Sylla would normally be the first choice for this kind of role but he really hasn't got me convinced with his performances so far this season.

Edited by Pembers

Delph is suspended.

Not saying that it will be an easy game or that there isn't a chance of a thrashing, just saying that it might not turn out like that. Bizarrely we managed to keep 3 clean sheets in the space of about 3 weeks when Vlaar was out last season.

We really need Ron back don't we.  Typical we lose our two best centre backs (one for the whole season).

I still wondering why Okore is being labled as our best centerback after only playing a few games.

He did look very very promising though, but with the tremendous steps Clark has made and considering Okore only played a handful of games i think it's a rather bold statement. (I was about to type state boldment, lol)

• Like 1

Yeah, you would've thought that if he had a late fitness test yesterday then he'd probably make the team for this Sunday's game. Fingers crossed. Despite Delph's recent form I actually think Vlaar is probably the most important player to our team - captain, great defender, drives the ball out from the back and will often create things.

Lambert is optimistic his lay-off will be a matter of weeks rather than months.

“I don’t know how long Ron is going to be out,” he added. “It’s hard to say, but it’s not as bad as his last one was last year. Things are a lot more positive. I don’t think it’ll be months.

“I don’t know about the United game, it depends how he’s feeling.”

Edited by PaulC

Â