Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Gazton, don't know if you watched the game this morning, but you can sort of see PL appreciates his talent, arm round the shoulder as soon as he come off.

I think PL realises that an arm round the shoulders works better with Stephen Ireland than a kick up the arse. Not that he need a kick up the arse because he played well, but he realises that to get the best out of Stephen Ireland you need to tell him how good he is and what he is capable of to keep his confidence high.

Good to see.

I want at some point this season, a commentator to label him "mercurial".

Sod that, I want him to do something "with aplomb". Only footballers seem to do things with aplomb.

Or maybe, "the mercurial Stephen Ireland finishes with aplomb!" WIN

Gazton, don't know if you watched the game this morning, but you can sort of see PL appreciates his talent, arm round the shoulder as soon as he come off.

Didn't see the game but that doesn't surprise me.

I think I posed it in the old thread about a week ago but SI is absolutely loving things at the minute.

I want at some point this season, a commentator to label him "mercurial".

Sod that, I want him to do something "with aplomb". Only footballers seem to do things with aplomb.

The first effort came on 16 minutes, with the lively Brett Holman playing a through ball to Stephen Ireland who finished with aplomb.

:shock:

Well, you got your wish. From last nights match report on the OS

You are Paul Brown and i claim my £5! :winkold:

He has been really really excellent in the three games I have seen so far this season.

Yet to see last night but I think this new style is exactly what is required to get the best out of him.

I actually disagree with Bent in that I don't think his best position is in hole (queue Mick McCarthy GIF!) a la Ariel Ortega of years gone by. I think to play that role you need that burst of acceleration to beat a man and create space.

That's not really his game - I see him more as a very cultured roving midfielder who can use his ability to dictate a game and find a killer pass while popping up on the end of the odd move to (hopefully) get some goals.

No doubt that Steve Ireland is central to our ambitions this year.

Stephen Ireland deserved the arm round the shoulder praise from PL. He had a good game. He came close to scoring which would have boosted his and our confidence even more.

Nevertheless, a workmanlike performance with great touches and incisive passing. Such an improvement seemed improbable back in the dark days of the MON debacle and Houillier's tendencies to wash dirty launry in public.

Keep it up Stevie! This is the Ireland we had hoped for from the beginning.

Love that he's constantly got a smile on his face when playing, really excited about him this season like most. Oh and I'm also in agreement about the work rate myth, he was probably our hardest working player most of the games last season.

Stephen Ireland deserved the arm round the shoulder praise from PL. He had a good game. He came close to scoring which would have boosted his and our confidence even more.

He did score.. Yeah it was offside but beating the keeper is beating the keeper. He would have taken confidence from the fact that he still has it in him to score.

I know it's club PR but I'm very pleased with what I'm reading here.

That is an encouraging quote, especially from him...if he's keen on actually putting in the work, he'll be huge for us.

Watched the Timbers game back last night and I can honestly say that I didn't see Ireland give the ball away once. Yes he tried some through balls that weren't won or ran out of play but he never misplaced a single pass in the centre of the park.

Very, very impressed this pre season. I just hope we don't cash in on him now he seems to be getting back to his best.

I actually thought his first goal against the Timbers was onside. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this season. I still maintain that getting Zog firing is important to seeing Ireland at his best. We now have 2 or 3 players who look like they might work well with Ireland, but his interplay with N'zogbia looks the most effortless, even in the short spells I've seen in the friendlies.

Â