Stephen Ireland

omariqy

I like Ireland. He has had it pretty rough since he signed. Houllier was a complete tosser and just didn't give Ireland a chance and then did his usual trick and bad mouthed him in the press. Then McLeish arrives who didn't have a clue about how to set a team up to attack.

I can see Ireland really flourishing under Lambert.

I started to see things I like in Ireland last season, and I also think he got a boost by our fans, who were boooing when he were subbed on a couple of occations and he also got his rightful share of cheers and support. And when he won the fans' player of the year, I think he really felt "home" after two difficult seasons.

He seems like a player who grows with confidence and backing, and I am sure that Lambert is the man to get the max out of him.

We remember how good he was in the City days. A monster.

I like Ireland. He has had it pretty rough since he signed. Houllier was a complete tosser and just didn't give Ireland a chance and then doing his usual trick and bad mouthing him in the press. Then McLeish arrives who didn't have a clue about how to set a team up to attack.

I can see Ireland really flourishing under Lambert.

Agree Mark. I hope Ireland performs to his ability this season as it will be interesting to see if certain posters on here who take every opportunity to criticise him are able to offer any credit when it's due.

I am in agreement that I think Ireland will be our key player this season. Always knew he had it in him, im glad we have a manager now who I believe will get the best out of him. Another bad appointment and he would of re-made his name for another club and we would be left licking our wounds.

Talented footballer, needs confidence and looks asthough he has that again now.

Agree that Ireland is showing great promise in the pre-season games so far. I think having KEA & Holman in the team, who seem to be on the same wavelength as him has really helped. Of course having a manager who understands passing probably helps too!

Going on the personnel we have now I'd like to see something like this as our first 11.

.....................Guzan

Lowton....Dunne....Clark....Lichaj

..........El Ahmadi...Bannan

N'Zogbia.......Ireland.....Holman

......................Bent

I think there will be a few more changes before West Ham though, ideally another winger/AM as CNZ has looked pretty poor in the USA, I think maybe a more experienced fullback too and maybe a target man. I think overall and Ireland is testament to this, we are looking better already with PL in charge of the team.

Agreed. The "lazy" tag he seems have really baffles me.

He may be a lot of things, but lazy isn't one of them.

Agreed.

Whenever the stats from the games I watched on the telly last season popped up at halftime he would always be the player in the Villa team who had covered the highest distance. He put in a decent amount of interceptions and tackles as well, considering he's a attack minded player none the least.

I rate him, rated him last season and think he'll look twice or thrice the player we've seen so far* in the upcoming season.

*EDIT: forgot to finish the sentence.

Your English is excellent by the way. I may not be the best to judge but it's fine by me.

Completely agree with you regarding Ireland too.

havent watched any pre-season games but it all seems positive about our midfield so far. hopefully Ireland continues on from last season and if any complaints would be maybe he can chip in with a few more goals

Wouldn't mind a midfield/attack of...

Bannan.....Herd (OR NEW CM).....KEA (none particurlarly wide)

Holman......Ireland

Bent

The width would need to be provided from the full backs, with either Ireland or Holman pulling wide when we have deep possession (ie a goal kick), Bannan and/or KEA dropping deep to collect the ball and looking to switch the play.

If we could find someone better than Herd than obviously that would be better (not that he disgraced himself last season, well on the field anyway ;-) ).

I'm still yet to be 100% convinced on Ireland, but I think with more "footballers" around him he could very well get back to the form seen at city, and that can only be good for the team performance.

Yea thats what i'd quite like to see more of - goals. Like he did at Man City. Think he is a great passer of the ball and had some good assists last season, the one-two with Weimann for the stoke goal was some great passing and reading of the game!

Sounds like he bossed the game last night.

Massive season for Ireland, enjoying his football again, confidence is 'sky high' and enjoying the way Paul Lambert has set the team up and they we are trying to play.

Im going to say double figures for assists this season.

Love him love him love him, our best player by a country mile and ive no doubt he will show why he is our best player this season.

massively overrated by Villa fans on here.....

IMO this is his make or break season at Villa and he is in the same position as Bannan, Delph, Fonz etc, he either shows us what he has got and justifies his wages or he can go next summer....

from what i hear in pre season it looks as though his performances are on the up and he's enjoying the new Lambert regime...

i really hopes so and he plays an important part for us

IMO this is his make or break season at Villa and he is in the same position as Bannan, Delph, Fonz etc, he either shows us what he has got and justifies his wages or he can go next summer....

from what i hear in pre season it looks as though his performances are on the up and he's enjoying the new Lambert regime...

Why do you say he is massively over-rated?

Is he not the best footballer we have on the books?

in theory yes he is the best technical player we have....

but he has never ever showed his true ability for us...despite what people say about his end of year performances....

If Ireland played in our Young, Milner, Barry midfield and performed like he has done for us people wouldn't be talking about him, if anything we would have been slagging him off...

he was praised far too much last year for average performances just because he was surrounded by shit and occasionally played one touch football....

he has so much more to give and i hope he gives it this year

but he has never ever showed his true ability for us...despite what people say about his end of year performances....

If Ireland played in our Young, Milner, Barry midfield and performed like he has done for us people wouldn't be talking about him, if anything we would have been slagging him off...

he was praised far too much last year for average performances just because he was surrounded by shit and occasionally played one touch football....

I agree with most of that mate.

However, i will counter by saying that last season was the first time he has been fully fit and even then he was coached by a clueless manager.

With a manager who trusts him and plays him to his strengths, not chasing back and defending like AM did, i think we will finally see the Stephen Ireland we all know and hope he can be.

I agree with most of that mate.

However, i will counter by saying that last season was the first time he has been fully fit and even then he was coached by a clueless manager.

With a manager who trusts him and plays him to his strengths, not chasing back and defending like AM did, i think we will finally see the Stephen Ireland we all know and hope he can be.

yeah i agree, no excuses this year...

his stats simply have to improve this year...Zogs stats were the same if not better than his last year and we all know how much stick he has got...

if we are playing attacking football the least i expect from him his 5 goals and 8 assists...

thats not to say id demand him to be sold if he didn't meet (overall build up play is just as important) that but thats gotta be a target for him

Â