Comic Books

PaulMcGrath_5

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

I thought I'd bump this thread for a couple of reasons, mainly because I've been reading more.

A few months back I made my way through reading Preacher after seeing that they were making it into a TV show (first episode airs tonight in the US) and really enjoyed it.

Then one of my friends from work suggested I look into a series called The Boys, which is also written by Garth Ennis and also mooted as another TV project by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, the duo who are responsible for bringing Preacher to the telebox.

I'm still reading through The Boys at the moment and I think it's even better than Preacher to be honest. It's so ludicrous and dark but funny at the same time.

Anyone else read it? Anyone read anything lately that they really enjoyed? Got any suggestions? Figured I'd resurrect this thread than start a new one and if Preacher turns into somewhat of a hit we could discuss comic spoilers here.

The Boys is fantastic, absolutely loved it then moved onto Preacher which I felt at times matched The Boys it wasn't anywhere near as good overall. The Boys ending is very good.

Another one by Ennis Ennis I'd recommend is Hitman, set in the Batman universe a hitman gets eye raped by a tentacle demon. The batman graphic novels are good, Serious House on Serious Earth and The Killing Joke especially.

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

100 Bullets, Persopolis and Black Hole are all worth checking out.

Then some of the usual suspects like V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The Killing Joke and ofc The Dark Knight Returns.

Preacher is still my favourite of all time though. Re-read it again recently and it's just so wonderfully clever and subversive.

***EDIT*** Oh, and I haven't read it myself but Y: The Last Man is supposed to be excellent.

I can certainly echo those recommendations (and am hoping to soon add Absolute editions of V for Vendetta and Watchmen to my shelves...) but just picking up on Y... I'd heard all the praise for it and then was told that it's aged fairly badly, and the art is very marmite. Having had a quick browse through the first collected edition of it subsequently, I can see where that criticism is coming from. But the concept is great so if you like the art that might drag you through it until the hooks are in.

Whilst we're talking comics that are of their time, Sandman. It's awesome. But damn it couldn't get late 80s/very early 90s Gothic new romantic if it tried! Each issue basically has a mental soundtrack from prime The Cure. But it's so good.

Just saw this thread, Preacher just has the greatest villains ever. And I'll echo The Boys is great, especially as it develops the story and characters later on.  

Reccomendations, Death Sentence is excellent.

DC are just about to relaunch their universe (again) with the Rebirth storyline, and loads of the first issue has been revealed.

The final reveal might be the stupidest thing I've seen in comics in recent years.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

DC are just about to relaunch their universe (again) with the Rebirth storyline, and loads of the first issue has been revealed.

The final reveal might be the stupidest thing I've seen in comics in recent years.

If you mean the bit I think..

Spoiler

I bet Alan Moore is raging.

Edited by jon_c

On 23/05/2016 at 22:12, jon_c said:

If you mean the bit I think..

Hide contents

I bet Alan Moore is raging.

Funnily enough I think he probably doesn't care. Or even know. In recent years he has an almost supernatural capacity to not give a shit.

Incidentally, the Rebirth thing was the stupidest thing I'd seen in comics for years for about 3 days. Marvel's new Steve Rogers Captain America reveal stole the show instantly. Steve Rogers has been an undercover Hydra agent all along. It's stupid on so many levels. It's meta stupid . Morons.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure these are out place among the superhero comics and all that, but I thought I'd post them anyway.

I collect old British comics and annuals. They're mostly all still boxed up at my mum and dads, but here's a couple of my latest additions.

The 1954 Beano Annual.

34qsbc4.png

Comic Cuts - 17th April 1926.

r8uqf7.png

This isn't worth anything, I just think they're cool. You can buy copies like this so cheaply on ebay, I've just found a few Comic Cuts from 1905 for 99p each.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Took a punt on the collected edition of the 'All-New, All Different' Doctor Strange Way of the Weird and just finished it.

I'm not the biggest Dr Strange fan. He suffers from not having great story arcs which are always good jumping on points. Someone asks you for a Batman story to jump on with, you'll have a list as long as your arm. With Marvel it tends to be certain runs you jump in on - Moon Knight you want Ellis' run, Daredevil you want Bendis, etc etc. Dr Strange doesn't have that. He has a couple of stories people recommend but nothing else, otherwise he's a constant supporting character.

But I'd heard that the new run with Aaron and Bachalo is one of Marvel's successes from the new lines they've got. So couldn't resist diving in.

It's quite good. The collected edition is odd in that it collects 5 issues of the new series and it effectively acts like the first half of a bigger story, meaning it ends just as the plot proper kicks in, which is irritating but that aside, its a fun slightly eclectic intro to the character that throws you into his world of magic and other dimensions and other nonsense. It reminded me of the new Moon Knight stuff in a good way despite the fact there's not much in common across the titles it has a similar feel in the 'monster of the week' kinda way Ellis did with Moon Knight but with a stronger through line plot arc. It particularly reminded of a couple of issues that dealt with more paranormal threats. 

I'd hope they'd release a proper collected edition once this years arc is done and I'd absolutely recommend picking that up should it happen later in the year. But, in the meantime, if you want a decent intro to the character before the movie later this year (which is looking more traditional Dr Strange than the newer take, but isn't that different by the looks of things), ACS you can't find a copy of Triumph and Torment, or The Oath, its a decent bet. Just don't expect a full story. It's barely half a story.

Just almost at the end of a book called The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, all about a couple of comic book authors when it all began. Great read,even Mooney might get something out of it as it is a 'real' book. I'm not into comics but I did read Spiderman religiously as a young teenager. TAAOK&C really is a good read.

Marvel announced today that the new Iron Man is going to be a black teenage girl.

Theres something about that that just feels very 'token'.

We can't be bothered to come up with and push new diverse characters, so we'll have someone take up the mantle of an existing character for a bit. Despite the fact that we've been successful in pushing new diverse characters throughout our history with Black Panther, Luke Cage, the new Ms Marvel...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Chindie said:

Currently being adapted for a movie IIRC, by Luc Besson... unsurprisingly.

Saw that. Cara Whatserface is Laureline iirc.

You seen some of the other 'similarities' with Star Wars?

Tut tut George Lucas.

It's certainly an influence on Star Wars. But Lucas was never more than a hack.

Comic Con this week... It's more about movies and TV these days but they're should be some snippets over the week.

And comic con -

new dr strange trailer? GotG 2 teaser? I think they'll do some casting stuff, maybe the Thor cast all together even though that's not really what they're there to promote, black panther or captain marvel? And hopefully Luke cage stuff

maybe reveal the rogue one trailer proper after it too, the one from celebration with vader in it

on Star Wars, anyone know if the marvel stuff for them is any good? 

And it looks like it's the 30th anniversary of aliens this week and the new film just wrapped...too early for a teaser?

Edited by villa4europe

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Final Crisis today after struggling for months with it.

It's dreadful.

Its a weird big event storyline but with Grant Morrison at his most maddeningly obscure/meta/chaos magicky. Ostensibly it's the Justice League vs Darkseid but it drives hard into multiverse stuff (there's a Nazi Superman in it) and Darkseid himself actually isn't really the threat despite loads of characters saying how dangerous he is, he spends the first half of the story absent and the second sitting down. His plan might be considered clever but it's done so bizarrely and with so much going on everywhere else it's lost in its own book.

The story also highlights DC's lack of decent tertiary characters. They have a handful of decent ones and the rest you'd never be able to name in a lineup of heroes. With good reason. When you have 3 Flashes, dozens of Supermen and Batmanplaying a pivotal role despite being present in 3 issues at most (and one of those is a battle in his head) you know you're struggling.

Morrison's a really good and interesting writer at his best, and he can be at his best when he's going weird (as the Invisibles proves) but this... No. Really disappointing.

• 1 month later...

Just completed Old Man Logan, the original Mark Millar run.

Odd read. It's very obviously the result of Millar going 'wouldn't be interesting if we did a story about a post apocalyptic world where all the heroes are dead except Wolverine?' and just bodging a story around it. It's only about 7 issues long and the whole thing plays like 6 issues of set up and one issue of blow out. I think they hoped this builds tension but it doesn't because you know exactly where it's going. There's a couple of surprises, some clever stuff, but it's not great. Fun though at times and I can't help thinking Millar knew exactly how silly some of it is.

Â