Comic Books

PaulMcGrath_5

7 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Has anyone who's been to a comic-con in Brum? Are they any good? 

Went today. Was pretty good. First time going to one of these, so got to unleash my geeky side. Me and a couple of mates went along, each with different things that we were looking out for. Couple of us wanted a few Pokémon cards, I wanted Thor comics, etc. Wasn’t disappointed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Any hot cosplay women there? :blush:

Lol, it's in Brum. 

You go in hoping for this 

0E321D31-1552-4F41-830A-6631EA092635-15124-00000938DE966011.jpeg

But then you realise it's actually gonna be like this....

37B067B1-2B41-4421-9E4A-EC96988F71B0-15124-00000938840C2D47.jpeg

Edited by wazzap24
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/12/2017 at 09:00, Chap of Steel said:

Going to try and get into comics so considering a Marvel Unlimited subscription. Looks like a good deal. Do any of you guys use it? 

I've tried reading comics digitally, but I just can't get on with it. It's a good way to find out what characters you're going to like and access some great back issues, but imo you can't beat reading a physical comic. 

I'd recommend getting some 'classics' from various publishers, not just Marvel and when you've found some characters you like, maybe get a physical subscription to a couple? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. 

I must admit when I tried the Marvel app it looked quite nice to use, but of course it's never going to match the physical comic. The sheer vastness of the archive was appealing to me, however, as I've really not read any of the series.

I've got a few highly rated non-Marvel titles (Watchmen, Walking Dead etc) but will perhaps try a few different series as you said :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chap of Steel said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I must admit when I tried the Marvel app it looked quite nice to use, but of course it's never going to match the physical comic. The sheer vastness of the archive was appealing to me, however, as I've really not read any of the series.

I've got a few highly rated non-Marvel titles (Watchmen, Walking Dead etc) but will perhaps try a few different series as you said :) 

I'd recommend the 'Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend' Batman stories. Brilliant stuff :thumb:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I read the first collection of Venom: Space Knight this week (not connected to the movie and it's dreadful, dreadful trailer). It's err... It's ok. In my head Venom is and always will be the classic version, even if that literally hasn't been the case for years, so my head is somewhat against this, but it's ok. It follows Flash Thompson, now connected to the symbiote, in space having adventures as a kinda intergalactic hero for hire.

It's incredibly light stuff, and you can tell the writers were told to do what they wanted with it, because it's completely unconnected to anything else really and isn't part of some multi line crossover event, so it's not afraid to be weird. It is also clearly influenced by MCU Guardians and elements of Deadpool, to a fault. There's not much weight to any of it and it's story, what there is, rattles along. And the art and design is different, especially the look of the 'suit' normally. 

Worth a look if you fancy something light. No idea if it keeps the standard up on the second half mind.

• 1 month later...

Started a re-read of the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus in time for the movie (yes it's going to be nothing like it but they'll have nicked ideas).

I'd forgotten how awkward some of the early set up stuff is. The section where the Silver Surfer gets caught in a bureaucratic nightmare due to Thanos' last will and testament (no, really), is **** hard going.

• 3 months later...

Reading the first collected edition of the reboot/deboot of Moon Knight at the moment, written by the guy who was the lead singer of Say Anything IIRC. Not quite through it but it's decent enough. It's taken some of the recent open playing with Spector's mental state and pushed that into a more traditional Moon Knight story, currently doubling down on the ancient Egypt stuff that has mostly been ignored for years (conflict week Khonshu aside). Hopefully it sticks the landing. Not so sold on the art, it's... Slightly too stark and slightly too clean. It reminds me of Archer in some ways.

But still, Moon Knight remains one of the better characters in Marvel's lineup currently, and has mostly got away from the feeling he was a Batman knock off, by pursuing completely different types of stories.

If I wanted to read comics on my mobile what are the options? 

I like the sound of Marvel unlimited but also have a number of titles by IDW, Dark Horse and DC that I'd want to read.

Is there an all in one way to do it?

Comixology would probably be worth a look. I've never used it myself but I think it's pretty much the number 1 choice for digital comics. It doesn't have a subscription service in the UK (as far as I'm aware), but I think it offers pretty much every publisher going to download issues and might even act as a general reader for comics from other services, I think.

Have a look anywho. They regularly also do crazy sales (i.e. entire runs of different titles for silly low prices) which probably helps their popularity.

• 4 months later...

Subbed to marvel unlimited, started with the Avengers Disassembled arc and then carrying on from there. 

Planning on deadpool, cable, riri, gotg and thanos after that, then no doubt I'll have picked up an interest in another collection of characters. 

3 hours ago, V01 said:

Subbed to marvel unlimited, started with the Avengers Disassembled arc and then carrying on from there. 

Planning on deadpool, cable, riri, gotg and thanos after that, then no doubt I'll have picked up an interest in another collection of characters. 

Take a look at the Warren Ellis Moon Knight run. It's 6 issues with no overarching storyline, which you could literally go through in a couple of hours, but it's really good. It has a really nice art style as well, with Moon Knight himself, who wears predominately white, left as line art so he stands out starkly against the rest of the artwork.

Â