Chicago Fire away friendly : Match Thread

LancsVillan

Liverpool drew at Toronto and Fire is a better team than them !

I certainly dont read anything into it - not much urgency shown by either team

just a run out for both teams

Exactly. They're fitness more than anything. Obviously if you're playing well it's good as opposed to losing every game.

But a few years back we beat Inter 3-0. I think we went on to finish 6th and they won the league.

Results and performance (to an extent) don't really mean much at this stage

Obviously it's nicer for us to see a win though :D

At the match, had to travel home, get caught up with work, get mother-in-law in the hospital, finally chance to note some things I wanted to say. too late for anybody to read, likely, but I'll feel better. :)

1) Delph as captain. interesting decision. To me it says that Lambert sees strong potential, or a need for confidence, but likely some leadership role within the team dynamics. As noted in the Delph thread it looks like he has bulked up a bit, which is likely good for him. Played a more deep, holding role than I expected, and gave no quarter, but seemed tidy and confident on the ball.

2) Lichaj, noted by several other posters as a likely RB for the season was at LB. Herd was at Right. (It was great fun, sitting just in front of his brother. Some really funny stories.)

3) Speaking of Herd, he made some nice forward runs, but usually only when told by Lambert to do so.... Even the brilliant cross came from lambert specifically telling Herd to get forward. In contrast, Lambert was obviously VERY unhappy that Herd dropped behind Dunne and left a central runner onside. Reading between lines, I was guessing that Lambert was working hard to make Herd first choice RB, so I was a bit surprised that Herd and Dunne were first ones off (at the half) Herd sat on the bench, Dunne sat outside the bench by himself.

4) Gabby, lot's of really pretty runs, goal was very well taken. Looked very dangerous.

5) NZog looked like he was on a different page from the team. He had some real quality in his movement and touch most of the time, but he was running when others were not and he was watching when the rest were on the run. It was odd. He wasn't bad, just a completely different page.

6) When not in possession, back 4 looked composed and organized, midfield looked confused about how much pressure they should be applying, who should be making that pressure, and who should be tracking a runner.

7) I really liked the work rate, high pressure, and multiple runs of Weimann.... tbh nothing came of it, but it was still attractive.

8) Stephen Ireland looked pure class.

9) all that said, we were clearly driving... I don't think Given used his gloves at all.

Half time. Saw Faulker, Glad he was there. I think it's critical for our future that Faulkner and Lambert get on to the same page about our needs and priorities.

10) Collins on for Dunn. In all honesty, I thought Collins looked the better of the two. (although I thought Clark looked much more confident and independently decisive than Baker, so that may be a big part of it.) But not lumbering and slow as sometimes posted here. Ran stride for stride with Oduro (a Fire speed merchant)

11) Lowton on for Herd. Some really poorly hit crosses early, but very impressive otehrwise. Loved his decisions about when to push on. He was making the decisions that Lambert had been telling Herd to make. He looked the part. It will be very interesting to see him develop, but he's young so I don't think he'll be first choice there soon.

12) Al Ahmadi, Johnson, Bannan, Carruthers, overall, honestly, I thought the same as I did first half. The midfield did not seem to be clicking, structured, and organized the way I would like to see. All showed moments of class. Bannan the most, then Al Ahmadi

13) Carruthers, within 90 seconds of coming on, he had twice over-run a defensive challenge and was open to a simple cut-back, which left the back line completely exposed. Not a good start at all. On the other hand, he didn't make that mistake again the entire time he was on. So a bit over eager, but learns and adjusts, so should come good.

14) Delfouneso, lots of effort to no strong effect. It was curious that a long crossfield ball went over his head, he was clearly frustrated by it but noticed Lambert applauding it, so he gave a thumbs up for the effort. I did appreciate that he spent the longest time after the match thanking the villa support, last one down the tunnel.

15) While I'm thinking about the ball to Delph, Lambert often praised the effort and idea rather than the result, like the crossfield ball to Delph just mentioned.. Good coaching, especially for pre-season. But also shows to me that he really wants us to move the ball around the pitch.

16) Warnock - gave one of the best examples of NZog being on a different page when he played a great ball for Zog to run on to, but Zog held back waiting for a ball to his feet where he was standing. They were both clearly aggravated with the other about it. Other than that, I have a long standing concern with Warnock. I think he enjoys the "dramatic" intervention and often moves late to the ball to make the more dramatic tackle, or interception, or challenge. But I didn't see that. He was strong and timely in the air. Always looking to push up, but reacted earlier to threat and IMO gave a strong performance.

17) Guzan made one save. Comfortably and VERY safely. Otherwise, like Given, his gloves were cold.

In summary. Forward line worked hard to pressure the ball at good times. The back 4 were comfortable and composed, the forward worked hard and kept pressure on the opponent, the mid-field seemed behind the others in getting season ready. Also, Delph and Bannan played more a holding midfielder role, but not in the "destroyer" mode, but rather in the collect and distribute mode. The back line was able to manage this without the "strong midfield cover" that is sometimes needed. Not sure if that's because the defensive line is stronger and better organized, or because the Fire are not Man United. Also, we took very few balls deep into the wing for the cross. Not sure if that's a shift in tactic or just what the match offered.

If I may, based on this game alone, I would start

Tossup (at GK)

Herd Collins Clark Warnock

Ireland Delph Al Ahmadi Holman

Gabby Weimann

But Bent and Albrighton were hurt. But with Zog on a different page we were short on true wingers.

I did read your post srsmithusa, don't worry.

A very insightful and interesting analysis for those of us back in the UK who haven't seen the match (although I did watch the highlights on AVTV -great goal Gabby!).

Good stuff!

Â