Chicago Fire away friendly : Match Thread

LancsVillan

We didn't really create many chances up forward but really pleasing to see how we are playing it through midfield. El Ahmadi looks very good. Will be interesting to see how the best XI takes shape.

El Ahmadi came on for the last 30 minutes and during that time he didn't give the ball away once. He looks great in possession. Nice for the Chicago native Guzan to get a little run out. Will be interesting to see what damage Gabby has done. Hopefully nothing bad. He played well tonight. Hoping that the Portland Timbers stream the game on Tuesday night!

First viewing for me.. im not sure how they performed in the other games but my ratings from this game.

Given - nothing to do... what i found interesting was all the short balls

Herd- did well.. set up the goal with a good ball.

Lichaj - based on this game.. he would be my first choice RB. did well in defence and attack

Baker - mixed game.. good tackles..bad tackles.. good passes bad passes.

Dunne trying to adjust to the ball playing role. Did ok.

Gardner - thought he did well.. some good passing.. almost scored a few times.

Delph - never been his biggest fan.. just dont rate him. He was poor in possession. decent in in winning the ball.

Ireland - was busy.. played well.. sprayed the ball all around the park. worked hard.

N'Zogbia - will we see the best of him? looks short of confidence.. lost the ball quite a few times on the dribble.

Agbonlahor - looked good.. scored a good header. Injury looked serious?

Weimann - didnt do much.. i rate him but he had a quiet one. some good link up play at times.

Subs:

Guzan - not on long.. didnt have to do much.

Lowton - first viewing of him.. didnt impress to be honest. a few poor crosses.. lacked pace.. and got skinned by one of the Chicago players. I hope he gets better.

Warnock - same old shit.. over ran a nice link up play with Holman and fell over. A 1 metre pass and he overcooked it and it went out. Hes just shit. Get rid.

El Ahmadi - looked very similar to Makoun. Short passes, keeping possession always available. Better in the tackle and closing down.

Collins - did well. Won his headers.. tried to limit his long passes.

Holman - looked sharp.. good link play.. ( i dont rate him for our national side.. but he did well)

Carruthers - tried too hard.. was getting frustrated.. you can see his potential though

Clark - will be our starting CB this season. Looked assured on and off the ball.

Delfouneso - didnt do much. Barely touched it.

Bannan - was busy.. good link up play. Still doesnt create anything though.

Johnson - He looks the goods imo. I read he struggled in the other games.. but his passing was good.. strong in the tackle. Good energy and speed. Could be a big player.

I still think Warnock Collins and Delph should be sold.

Watched the first half while preparing dinner, so I may have missed a bit, but play looked a bit sloppy and disjointed. Gabby looked good and the goal was nice, but form the standpoint of controlling the ball I wasn't too impressed. Second half looked much better minus a few periods where Chicago kept the pressure on. After KEA and Bannan came on I thought the passing and possession play was great. I think Ireland suffered from being surrounded by shit in comparison. There's no question that KEA should be in the starting 11 and that Delph, N'Zogbia and Gardner should not. I'd like to see Ireland playing with KEA and Bannan in some of the friendlies to see how they work together. Maybe a bit lightweight to have Ireland and Bannan on at the same time, but with Albrighton out and N'Zogbia looking no better than last year I don't see playing with true wingers as the way to go, so a diamond of KEA and either/both of Ireland and Bannan plus Holman and perhaps Carruthers is the best shout. Gabby's looking too good to leave out if his injury isn't serious, though I'm still not sold on Gabby and Bent up front together. Tough choices for PL ahead. Hopefully, the remaining friendlies will make things a bit clearer.

I didn't see all of it, other things going on. From what I did see, Chicago Fire were more like a damp squib. Without wishing to seem condescending, we could have played the Ladies AV team and still got a result. As a practice match I suppose it was OK - let's hope there's a bit more craft and spirit in a competitve game.

Pleased with the victory, and happy with the back-to-back shut-outs

What kit did we wear ?

The Claret and Blue Villans from Aston Villa wore their lime green alternative jersey

Watched the game from right behind the villa bench with my Dad (first game he saw was at villa park vs arsenal post WWII) and my two year old son. Caught most of the game except for multiple WC trips.

Highlight players were Gabby and Ireland. Gabby looked strong and fast and I hope this niggle doesn't stop him from getting a good run at the season. Ireland had some great passes and one twos that split the Fire open. when Ireland went off you could feel the creative dip.

We haven't seen it too much but looking forward to a diamond with KEA and Ireland in the middle. Could be lethal.

Low lights was the lime green kit and Warnock. Both hurt to watch for too long.

On attack,He had a great chance to go at goal that he fluffed. I was on good behavior or i would have yelled "pretend its your own goal". he and NZog had a little verbal spat over a missed overlap as well.

On defense, we are lucky the Fire play very narrow and the pitch is not as wide as VP or there were a couple times a Premier winger would have burnt him on the outside. I say this having liked him quite a bit when he came to Villa and really thought he deserved his spot for the last World cup. Been spotty since.

Â