Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as many of us have been saying surely the ins and outs have more to do with wages then initial fees, I dont think there's ever been any official line stating we dont have money to spend, but there has been plenty stating the need to balance the wage bill. Even in the first season of this 'austerity' we comitted to potentially paying £24m for Bent.

I think it's fair to assume that as long as he manages to keep the wages in line he'll be backed, although I would imagine there is has been some kind of benchmark figure discussed. But for me the fact that we're making enquiries would mean that there's still money available, PL doesn't strike me as an all his eggs in one basket kind of manager.

Thought i'd bring up some stats of another tall, strong striker who is a familiar face and we could even sign for free. Let us compare his stats to those of Carroll:

Carew (@ Aston Villa) - 2007-2011, 113 Apps and 37 Goals

Carew (@ Stoke + WHU) - 2011+, 29 Apps and 3 Goals

Carroll (@ Newcastle) - 2006-2011, 80 Apps and 31 Goals

Carroll (@ Liverpool) - 2011+, 42 Apps and 6 Goals

Can't remember what Carew cost us at first unless it was just a swap for Baros? Either way, with Carroll touted at approx £15-20m, it is safe to say there are much better options available for such a price, i'd probably even take Carew at 32 years of age for free and spend the dosh elsewhere.

Thought i'd bring up some stats of another tall, strong striker who is a familiar face and we could even sign for free. Let us compare his stats to those of Carroll:

Can't remember what Carew cost us at first unless it was just a swap for Baros? Either way, with Carroll touted at approx £15-20m, it is safe to say there are much better options available for such a price, i'd probably even take Carew at 32 years of age for free and spend the dosh elsewhere.

Errr no!

Carew WAS a good player for us. But he is too old and slow now. If he cannot thrive under Big Sam and his tactics last season then he has no chance now at Villa in the Premier League next season. He is past it.

To turn your statistics back at you..

Carew took 33 more games to score 6 more goals than Carroll in the period 2006 - 2011. All this in the period where Carew was an experienced, international striker having played in the some of the greatest leagues in the world as well as the Champions League.

Carroll, while still learning his trade and playing in a Newcastle team going through what could be kindly described as a transition, has a greater goals to games ratio in that period. Granted, some of those games will be in the Championship.

Carew was swapped for Baros but valued at a notional £7m I think? Carroll is now valued at a notional £15m, which includes the English player premium. Carroll is in his early/mid twenties and has time on his side and the potential of a high re-sale value.

original-5.jpg

Errr no!

Carew WAS a good player for us. But he is too old and slow now. If he cannot thrive under Big Sam and his tactics last season then he has no chance now at Villa in the Premier League next season. He is past it.

Carroll is young, and slow.

Carew took 33 more games to score 6 more goals than Carroll in the period 2006 - 2011. All this in the period where Carew was an experienced, international striker having played in the some of the greatest leagues in the world as well as the Champions League.

Carroll, while still learning his trade and playing in a Newcastle team going through what could be kindly described as a transition, has a greater goals to games ratio in that period. Granted, some of those games will be in the Championship.

Carew was swapped for Baros but valued at a notional £7m I think? Carroll is now valued at a notional £15m, which includes the English player premium. Carroll is in his early/mid twenties and has time on his side and the potential of a high re-sale value.

High re-sale value? He was purchased by Liverpool for £35m and they now want £20m back, that's a £15m loss within the space of a year, and if it stoops to £15m well thats a £20m loss.

I'm not saying we should re-sign Carew btw, I'm no idiot, but if we really want a 'target man' over 6ft with power, opting for an over-priced Carroll is ludicrous. Before the season he just had I wouldn't have expected anybody to have paid £10m for him and I was baffled when I saw Liverpool had signed him on SSN.

Whether we should sign him depends totally on which Andy Carroll we're likely to get.

The one who played at the Euros and gave the ball away every time he touched it.

OR

The one who (allegedly) gets shitfaced in pubs and falls off his bar stool.

OR

The one who was unfortunately completely brilliant against KMac's Aston Villa at the SportsDirect Arena (snigger) the season before last.

Then there's the matter of whether he would want to play for us at all. Rumour has it that he wouldn't.

I like the idea of having Bent, Carroll and Agbonlahor to choose from up front - all with different skills and offerings.

I don't think that we can afford such an idea though, and even then, I think there would be other places Carroll would prefer to be.

Carrol's wages - not in our league

Carrol's fee - not in our league

Can't see it happening

As posted elsewhere, he does seem to still have an awful lot of enemies, he still has a guard outside his front door 24/7 so even off the pitch I can't see us wanting him

as many of us have been saying surely the ins and outs have more to do with wages then initial fees, I dont think there's ever been any official line stating we dont have money to spend, but there has been plenty stating the need to balance the wage bill. Even in the first season of this 'austerity' we comitted to potentially paying £24m for Bent.

So what sort of wages do you think Carroll would demand and is that

in line with controlling the wage bill?

Though this is tempting just doesn't seem the right move for Villa right now. Yes, sometimes you need a target man depending on the game but a 15mil (or 20) target man seems out of proportion to the other positions we need to fill. There are also so many "if's". Will he start firing again, stop falling off pub stools, be passionate to be a Villan, work with Bent...

The Bent transfer fee blew most fans away and yes Bent is one dimensional in some ways. But (and a big one) he had a great track record and when that one dimension is scoring it makes sense.

Rather get another winger, CM and LB first.