Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

He would be very popular at the Villa and he would sell a lot of shirts. He is a "star" already, but not because of his ability. He has talent and he gets double marking all the time, but he is not a goalscorer and he is lousy with the ball in his feet. Not a very smart player, but could work out nicely for a club which is trying to break top 10 like ourselves.

Massive contradictions here.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand for the life of me why Newcastle want him back if I'm honest.

Well, at a guess, because he was very good there and a fan favourite.

And they'll probably get him for less than half of what they sold him for.

And they haven't really reinvested the money they got for him in the first place.

He'd be on higher wages, but it would basically be like Liverpool handing them 15-20 million quid, and them giving Carroll a better contract.

Plus they'd be free to sell Ba

I don't see why they wouldn't want him back

If it's true that Liverpool still owe us a substantial amount of the Downing fee and with the rumours of Gabby going to Sunderland (for £8m) I'd like to think we'll only actually be paying out around £5m or so.

At that price I'd be willing to take a chance.

He's not my favourite footballer but I think he would do a job for us.

The issue wth us playing Bent up top with say Ireland behind him is we rarely hold the onto the ball longe enough or get to Ireland in the kind of space neccessary in order to drag the defence out of position. As a result Bent has 2 CBs covering him meaning unless the combination of his run and the ball in is spot on he's second favourite.

When Carroll is on the pitch at least one CB is constantly concerned about where he is, freeing up time and space for Bent. £15m might be a lot but it would certainly add something to the squad.

Under McLeish I'd have said no. Under Lambert, assuming we will play wingers and with a bit of width I think this would be a great signing. Get the balls in the box for Vlaar and Carroll... sounds good.

I'm not against it per se, but do we currently have the players in center midfield that could accommodate playing both Bent and Carroll? This could obviously change if there's changes in personnel over the next couple of weeks.

The other thought, which nobody other than PL and RL will know, is what percentage of the transfer funds available would be used up if we were to spend £15m+ on Carroll. If it's all or most, think the money would be best used else where, like a left back. If there's still money available for other positions, why not, crack on - notwithstanding the first point.

I don't understand for the life of me why Newcastle want him back if I'm honest.

Well, at a guess, because he was very good there and a fan favourite.

And they'll probably get him for less than half of what they sold him for.

And they haven't really reinvested the money they got for him in the first place.

He'd be on higher wages, but it would basically be like Liverpool handing them 15-20 million quid, and them giving Carroll a better contract.

Plus they'd be free to sell Ba

I don't see why they wouldn't want him back

But why would they want to sell Ba?

Ba and Cisse played well together last year, Newcastle's strikers are among the best in the league, possibly THE best behind city.

I don't understand why you'd want to shake that up.

The rumour is that Ba isn't happy being moved out of the firing line to accommodate Cisse. Ba hasn't scored in the league since Cisse joined and his nose is out of joint allegedly.

I think we need to stop worrying about how much Lambert has to spend.. If he has £15 million+ to spend on a Striker then assume it is on top of whatever he has to spend on the rest of the squad. I still don't think he has a budget, not in literal terms anyway. I believe he has gone to Faulkner with who he wants, given him the hard sell on why he wants them and Faulkner is getting them. Lambert could end up spending £50 million this window but that doesn't mean he had £50 million to spend that is just what his rebuild cost and Faulkner and Lerner liked his reasoning.