Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

Yeah I concur, I was just thinking in terms of Lambert and a fresh start etc, including the campaign of selling him off which can be tough. Sometimes a player switches on again, and he seems like a nice and commited guy so he can have a chance. I reiterate though, odds are that he will stay extremely mediocre.
Mediocre? If only he was that good. He's horrendously shit. One of the worst fullbacks I've ever seen at Villa in recent years.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert used 27 players in the league last year the exact same amount as us. However since then, Keane, Heskey, Cuellar, Jenas, L.Young have all left. Add in Petrov's illness and you are down to 21. We've since added 3 and we basically could do with getting rid of another 3/4. That would leave us at 21. So I reckon 4 or 5 more signings is not out of the question if we could off load a number of Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock. That being said if, and its a big if, Delph and the Fonz could hit form they too would feel like new signings.

Hello ..

Lambert used 27 players in the league last year the exact same amount as us. However since then, Keane, Heskey, Cuellar, Jenas, L.Young have all left. Add in Petrov's illness and you are down to 21. We've since added 3 and we basically could do with getting rid of another 3/4. That would leave us at 21. So I reckon 4 or 5 more signings is not out of the question if we could off load a number of Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock. That being said if, and its a big if, Delph and the Fonz could hit form they too would feel like new signings.

But let's say in the case of Hutton .. We already have Lichaj and Lowton and if incase .. we have Herd too ..

If we sold Dunne and Collins .. we must atleast get two great defenders .

so let's try to count our squad now ..

Given ..

Guzan .. (I don't know if we'd count Marshal) ..

Lowton ..

Lichaj ..

Clark ..

Baker ..

Stevens ..

Gardner ..

Delph ..

Makoun ..

KEA ..

Bannan ..

Herd ..

Holman ..

Albrighton ..

CNZ ..

Currethers ..

Gabby ..

Weimann ..

Bent ..

Fonz ..

those are 21 .. as you said ..

we need 2 defenders + 1 LB + 1 DM + 1 Winger ..

If that's the case .. I would really welcome this step .. Although I think Dunne will mostly stay ..

the more i think it this potential transfer the more i like it, especially if we keep Gabby. This would mean we would have a plan A, B and C.

We'd half the goalpoacher in Bent, the target man in Carroll and the pacey striker in Gabby. It sound like Lambert through and through with his tactical changes.

with a couple of good defenders, and if ireland came into form, we could be in for a great season.

this would be a good deal if we got him for ~18 million, plus it makes liverpool look stupid which is even better.

For me personally, I'd love Carroll here, he's a beast, but wages are my issue with him. I think we are in a position where we need to sign players from aboard on the cheap and from the lower leagues. Player who will not be looking for monster sums. All these players have played in the championship or below and not just on loan.

Hart

Walker Jagielka Lescott Baines

Adam Ramsey Cahill

Walcott Carroll Bale

That team in my view would do well enough in the Premiership.

Jack Butland is an awesome keeper....saw him play for Cheltenham a few times this season, yeah he's a Brum player and likely to be going to a big club like Man U but we should get a cheeky bid in I reckon!

Staying with Cheltenham, I reckon Sido Jombati is one hell of a defender (Sporting CP youth) Obviously PL is a massive step up from League 2 but I reckon he could do it as he's already stepped up 2 leagues in the last few seasons and could get him for next to nothing.

As for Carroll I reckon he'd be a good loan signing but I doubt that's going to happen.

The bloke is a Liverpool reject, and some of us don't like the idea of signing such. I don't see what's wrong with that.

He is a Geordie and a Newcastle fan, which means that he will have zero affinity for the club, if anything, the opposite. Some of us don't like the idea of signing such, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this post.

A reject because it hasn't worked out for him at his club? A reject then like Paul McGrath was at Man United?

And why would the fact that he supports Newcastle mean he would have an anti-affinity for Villa? Should we only be signing players who were dragged up in a council terrace on Witton Lane?

Not entirely sure how Carroll is a Liverpool reject, he was probably their best player in the second half of the season.

He has zero affinity for Villa? What utter nonsense is this, most pro footballers have zero affinity for the clubs they play for

The bloke is a Liverpool reject, and some of us don't like the idea of signing such. I don't see what's wrong with that.

He is a Geordie and a Newcastle fan, which means that he will have zero affinity for the club, if anything, the opposite. Some of us don't like the idea of signing such, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

A reject because it hasn't worked out for him at his club? A reject then like Paul McGrath was at Man United?

And why would the fact that he supports Newcastle mean he would have an anti-affinity for Villa? Should we only be signing players who were dragged up in a council terrace on Witton Lane?

Well you didn't quote the whole post, so you must have understood SOME of the reasoning, which is encouraging :)

All very well mentioning Paul McGrath, but for every one of him there are a dozen players who, having been sold by a bigger club, arrive at their new club slightly demotivated and uninspired. Milan Baros is a perfect example, but there are heaps more. Very few players show the same form after moving to a smaller club that they showed before they signed for the bigger club. There are very real psychological reasons for this.

Surely I'm not alone in wanting the club to find and develop its own talent? Signing a player who has not been a success at his former club makes us look small time. Would Man Utd do such a thing? Rarely.

The Geordies HATE Aston Villa. We relegated them, and there were some pretty nasty, gloating, un-witty banners on show that day. I was unimpressed, and I'm a Villa fan. When they put six past us after getting promoted, they were absolutely loving it. Seeing as they are a club of similar size, they hate us all the more. I think it would be naive to think that all this makes absolutely no difference to Carroll.

I'll ignore the Witton Lane argument, which is just silly.

Not entirely sure how Carroll is a Liverpool reject, he was probably their best player in the second half of the season.

He has zero affinity for Villa? What utter nonsense is this, most pro footballers have zero affinity for the clubs they play for

If you'd taken the trouble to read the post that that was selectively quoted from (one immediately above your post a couple of pages back), you might have gone about disagreeing with it slightly more politely.

Milan Baros was never that motivated in the first place and for every Baros there'll be at least one Phil Neville, pro footballers with a point to prove.

Milner and Barry will be like that when they leave Citeh, its just down to personality not the club they come from

Milan Baros was never that motivated in the first place and for every Baros there'll be at least one Phil Neville, pro footballers with a point to prove.

Milner and Barry will be like that when they leave Citeh, its just down to personality not the club they come from

I concede that personality probably has more to do with it. Maybe I'm just trying to figure out why Andy Carroll seems like totally the wrong signing to me. Hell, he might be mad keen to play for us and be a huge success when he gets here, I just think that it's unlikely on both counts. Maybe I haven't given the best reasons why, and maybe I'm wrong, but **** it, I'm kindof losing the motivation to explain or argue. If you disagree with me, consider yourself the winner of the argument.

Wouldn't want to pay the fee and the wages that Liverpool/Caroll would want to get him.

I have enough faith in Lambert that, if this is the type of player he wants for us, he will be able to get an equivalent for much better value.

Wouldn't mind a cheeky bid of £6m to bring DJ back though?? Surely he can't be enjoying his stay in Scouseland and all the stick that he is getting.

Wouldn't mind a cheeky bid of £6m to bring DJ back though?? Surely he can't be enjoying his stay in Scouseland and all the stick that he is getting.

No ta, he's the last player I want to see wearing a Villa shirt, the bottleless money grabbing prick.

Well you didn't quote the whole post, so you must have understood SOME of the reasoning, which is encouraging :)

All very well mentioning Paul McGrath, but for every one of him there are a dozen players who, having been sold by a bigger club, arrive at their new club slightly demotivated and uninspired. Milan Baros is a perfect example, but there are heaps more. Very few players show the same form after moving to a smaller club that they showed before they signed for the bigger club. There are very real psychological reasons for this.

Surely I'm not alone in wanting the club to find and develop its own talent? Signing a player who has not been a success at his former club makes us look small time. Would Man Utd do such a thing? Rarely.

The Geordies HATE Aston Villa. We relegated them, and there were some pretty nasty, gloating, un-witty banners on show that day. I was unimpressed, and I'm a Villa fan. When they put six past us after getting promoted, they were absolutely loving it. Seeing as they are a club of similar size, they hate us all the more. I think it would be naive to think that all this makes absolutely no difference to Carroll.

I'll ignore the Witton Lane argument, which is just silly.

I was selective in using your post as I only selected the items which I wanted to discuss. I thought this was a fairly standard practice. I thought a more concise approach would make for a better forum - apologies if not, I am not a very frequent poster. I left out the other bits, which I understood and mostly agreed with.

No (obviously) you're not alone in wanting the club to develop its own talent, but surely that is a given at any club. It is quite widely recognised however that alongside your harvest of youngsters, a sustainable club usually requires players signed from other clubs (often not fans of your club too) who will strengthen your starting XI. Andy Carroll fits nicely into this category.

On the contrary to your psychological diagnosis of Mr. Carroll, I think he (perhaps more so than any other player in the league right now) has a burning desire to prove a point and to prove his army of doubters wrong. He would not be happy, at this early stage in his career, to sit back and continue to be mocked by fans, most of whom would welcome him to their clubs with open arms.

It is surely naive to believe that we 'relegated' Newcastle when they were dire for almost all of that fateful season. They don't hate us any more than any other team that contributed to their demise. Besides, if he was so fiercely loyal to Newcastle he would not have jumped ship in the first place.

He is also far from lazy. I believe he covered more ground than any other player on the pitch in the England game against Sweden, which franks his desire to succeed at the highest level.

I think he will become a very good player and would be very happy to get him on board. I'll go as far to say that I think £10-12m would represent good value.

Whether or not he feels we would be a good move for him, however, remains very much in doubt. I suspect not.

not sure how this thread is still going, i will bet three earth pounds and a vintage 1993 copy of Razzle we won't sign him.

I am guessing its still going because Lambert has confirmed a liking and a possible interest in signing the player. His club have all but stated a willingness to listen to offers. It's not as whacky as you may think. I agree it's unlikely but to risk a vintage '93 Razzle? Never.

I was selective in using your post as I only selected the items which I wanted to discuss. I thought this was a fairly standard practice. I thought a more concise approach would make for a better forum - apologies if not, I am not a very frequent poster. I left out the other bits, which I understood and mostly agreed with.

No (obviously) you're not alone in wanting the club to develop its own talent, but surely that is a given at any club. It is quite widely recognised however that alongside your harvest of youngsters, a sustainable club usually requires players signed from other clubs (often not fans of your club too) who will strengthen your starting XI. Andy Carroll fits nicely into this category.

On the contrary to your psychological diagnosis of Mr. Carroll, I think he (perhaps more so than any other player in the league right now) has a burning desire to prove a point and to prove his army of doubters wrong. He would not be happy, at this early stage in his career, to sit back and continue to be mocked by fans, most of whom would welcome him to their clubs with open arms.

It is surely naive to believe that we 'relegated' Newcastle when they were dire for almost all of that fateful season. They don't hate us any more than any other team that contributed to their demise. Besides, if he was so fiercely loyal to Newcastle he would not have jumped ship in the first place.

He is also far from lazy. I believe he covered more ground than any other player on the pitch in the England game against Sweden, which franks his desire to succeed at the highest level.

I think he will become a very good player and would be very happy to get him on board. I'll go as far to say that I think £10-12m would represent good value.

Whether or not he feels we would be a good move for him, however, remains very much in doubt. I suspect not.

Nothing wrong with selective quoting, it was just that you said you didn't understand the "post", as opposed to the "point".

We seem to have a different impression of how motivated Carroll is to succeed as a footballer. Mine may well be wrong, I just have this idea of him as someone who thinks he's made it.

Obviously we weren't solely responsible for Newcastle's relegation, but we beat them on the last day to send them down, and there was a distinct air of gloating, summed up by the banner that said "Who's your saviour now? - Ant or Dec?". I mean if you're going to gloat, at least be funny about it. Imagine if the position had been reversed. Trust me, they were delighted that it was us they scored 6 against two seasons ago.

Anyway, I'm convinced there's almost no chance of him coming to Villa. I'm off to take bets with VillanousOne and the other high rollers :)