General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General Krulak here:

Jim Brown played his college/university football at Syracuse University and was a superstar then...winning All-American Honours. He was also an All-American Lacrosse player...and considered the best Lacrosse player ever to have played the game...even to this day.

He played for years in the National Football League (Premiership of American Football). Some consider him the finest running back ever to play the game. (I would agree.)

The Cleveland Browns were not named after Jim Brown but he certainly has put his mark on the Club. He continues to work for the Browns and is a good friend of Randy and of mine.

It would be hard for me to compare him with a football player in the UK. He would rank at the very top of the best to have ever played the game. Understand that he played in the 50's-60's and set every record there was to set during that time frame. When they ran a poll to see who were the best players in the past 100 years, Jim Brown's name was on everyone's ballot.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General,

I know it's been talked about on here before, but Ian posted in another thread that a North Stand steward has said away fans are going to be moved into the upper and lower of Witton Lane. Can you confirm?

Cheers

General,

Fantastic to have Jim Brown at the game - my knowledge of American Football is mainly built up while I was at high school but Jim was a legend even then.

If I'd known he was going to be at the game I'd have worn my Jim Brown Hall of Fame shirt!

If I had to make a comparison to a Villa player it would definitely be McGrath - for his legendary status and the attitude he brought to the game.

Be interesting to hear any thoughts Jim had about the game/the team - make a nice feature for the AVFC website?

Dave

General Krulak here:

1. I will look into the mural...see if Randy would be interested. He loves tradition.

2. 3 points was good!! As you think through the game, we obviously still have a way to go...no pollyannas here. At the same time, we played remarkably well for 70+ minutes and our new lads did very well...which helped some of our other players. Carew is an animal!!! I'd take him into battle anyday!!

next time you see randy and martin, give them both a big sloppy wet kiss from me for bringing carew and young to my club...

:lol: :winkold:

It would be hard for me to compare him with a football player in the UK. He would rank at the very top of the best to have ever played the game. Understand that he played in the 50's-60's and set every record there was to set during that time frame. When they ran a poll to see who were the best players in the past 100 years, Jim Brown's name was on everyone's ballot.

And as Richard Pryor once said "back then he was the only black guy playing too so you know no-one was blocking for his ass" :D:D:D

Brownie here, I wanted to say a little something about Jim Brown.

His Greatest asset was not his unmatched combination of pure strength and agility.

It was his Mind that made him The Great Jim Brown. He was always thinking ahead of the rest.

I won't ramble on with examples.... like how Jim Brown always picked himself up from the ground very slowly after he was tackled, even in the beginning of the game when he was feeling strong. He never jumped up quickly to run back to the huddle, WHY? Because he knew that at some point he would be really hurting and when that time came he did not want the opponet to know...... he would never give the other team the satisfaction of thinking they were slowing him down.....that way He maintained the mystique and the intimidation over his opponets.

er... crap I rambled didn't I? Sorry just one more thing and I will get my coat.

Because Jim Brown is an icon of Sport and of the Civil Rights movement he is always asked all sorts of questions.

Recently he had this to say regarding Tiger Woods and the ryder cup.

*paraphrasing*

"The greatest thing about Tiger is his relationship with his Father. Tiger is a killer. He is an assassin. His father brought him up that way. (A former Marine was Earl Woods)...And That is why he is out of his element in the Ryder cup. As part of a team he is not the same. He has to let his guard down and That is not how he operates."

I thought this was a profound observation, I spent about 30 minutes looking for the actual quote. Ill keep looking.

So Why say all this?....Well Jim Brown never pulls any punches. He is frank and direct to a fault. He likened Michael Jordan to a "master's boy" for his lack of social/political commentary. Jim Brown is bigger than football.

And he backs Randy Lerner 100%.

And Here in the land of the burning river, where the Natives are restless...that means a whole lot.

Not trying to hijack this thread my friends. Carry on!

General Krulak here:

1. Brownie hit the nail on the head...Jim Brown was/is far more than an athlete. Jim Brown is a Man of Character.

2. I am afraid it would not be wise for me to discuss possible sponsors, etc. Let's just see what transpires...and, like always, trust Randy.

Sorry if it's already been asked General but did you make it to the game yesterday or are you still in the states? If not did you still get to watch the John Carew masterclass on tv?

Hi General,

Yesterday was the first time I have been over since the start of the 'Randy Revolution' as some would call it!

I have never felt so good about the club as I have done since yesterday and it was personally great for me to see Randy in the flesh, after the game at the players and officials entrance!! The thing that showed me how much the club is changing the most however was for the first time that I have travelled to Villa, so many people in Ireland were doing exactly the same thing as me, wearing their club attire in Dublin airport with pride as they left for Birmingham on Saturday morning at Crazy o clock, and then the airport and the flight back today was literally covered with Villa jerseys.. Heading to Dublin and also further afield..

This club is on the up and up and I just cant wait for my next trip back to Villa Park, to soak up some of that brilliant atmosphere!!

You can see it in everyones faces in Villa park, whether it be from the fans, the stewards or the players themselves.. Everyone is really excited!!!

A big shout out to you and Randy for making the club what it is.

Heres to many more really succesful and memorable trips in the Future!!

Thanks,

Donogh Lombard

Villa Fan

Ireland!! :D

General Krulak here:

I was in the states for this game...Randy and Jim Brown had the "honours." I "watched" over the Internet plus communicated with Randy after the game. He was very happy...and felt that the entire team did well. Like all of us, he has been impressed with Young and Carew but like all of us...we just keep on plugging along. We know we still have a long way to go and we are not going to go "crazy" just yet.

Hello there General,

I was wondering if there are any plans in the pipeline to get the website translated into other languages, as is done with some other teams websites?

Chinese TV shows almost all Premiership games live (or relive during the week), so the potential benefits of being able to reach such a significant audience are enormous. Villa are little publicised in China, and looking through Chinese search engines, there's a total dearth of information. Even commentators and (so called) experts appear to be a little flumoxed when trying to offer insiteful comments on Villa when covering our games.

A few years back we were due to play a couple of matches in China, though the SARS outbreak scuppered that, and the games were never rescheduled (and my tickets were never refunded - bit of 'besides the point whinging' there, apologies). As far as I can tell no other attempts have been made to tap into this vast and enthusiastic market (though I hate describing footy fans as a market).

I wrote to the club a couple of years ago and offered to translate articles (or the whole website, time permitting) into Chinese but was met with no response.

Just catching up here. As a keen American Football history buff I just can't believe Jim Brown was in OUR stadium taking an interest in my team. That just gives me goosebumps. The man is a living legend. Really really brilliant to hear that. Can't believe (well I can actually) that Sky or BBC didn't make any mention of it at all - as they probably haven't a clue.

Well done again General & Randy. It's an honour to host such sporting legends (a term thrown around all too frequently, but in this case genuinely deserved) !!