General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

Dear General,

I have two quick questions:

1) What would you and/or Randy consider to be a successful season at the end of 2008/09 - be that cup success,improved league position, European qualification etc?

2) Have the club struggled to sell copies of the relatively recently released Gareth Barry DVD with all that's gone on?

Thanks for your time.

Jonathan (aka Bozzy)

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General,

Something a little off the topics of the last few pages....

Is it still possible to get one of the personalized paving stones outside villa park? Cant seem to find anything in relation to them anywhere. Only reason i'm interested is that I have sucessfully introduced and converted my girlfriend into an avid villa fan and was thinking of proposing to her during a trip to villa park while "accidentally" finding one of the stone addressed to her.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work

C

Gen after seeing on the official website that Gareth Barry would be staying at the club for the coming season I preceded to get Barry 6 on my brand new villa jersey but that now looks very much in doubt! Can you do anything for me gen?

Hi General,

Not been on this thread for a long time as I was starting to feel embaressed by the way some people were talking to you.

Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for continuing to take the time to talk to us and I hope that the misguided passion (I think that's what it is) for club that leads to some posts doesn't put you off.

While I'm biting my nails as much as anyone ahead of the new season I trust you, Randy and Martin to do what needs to be done and get us the players that we need.

Semper Fidelis as you say

GB

Hi General,

Im a long time reader first time poster in this thread, but I just wanted to echo GarryBarrys post, I think its unbelievable privilege to have you on this board and i hope the minority of 'fans' do not put you off. We believe in what yourself, Randy and Martin are doing for us.

I hope you have a good and less stressful summer, and look forward to seeing you at Villa Park next season.

All the best,

Andrew.

Good Afternoon General,

First off, apologies if this idea has already been suggested elsewhere in this thread, I cite no excuse other than my laziness for not trawling through and checking each of the 500+ pages prior to posting!

I, like many Irish Villa fans, began supporting Aston Villa during the early nineties, when national heroes like McGrath, Houghton, Staunton and Townsend were first team regulars. I'd venture to suggest Aston Villa still enjoy the 4th or 5th largest following of any Premiership team in Ireland at present for this very reason, though I have no data to prove this.

But what I know for certain, was when the recent UEFA Cup draw had us potentially facing Irish club side St. Patrick's Athletic, there was a great deal of excitement amongst St. Pat's fans, given the potential for this tie to provide them, Irish Villa fans and even neutral Irish football fans with an enticing and revenue generating game.

If you have any sway in this area, I'd strongly suggest coming over to Ireland and playing a preseason tournament featuring Aston Villa, Glasgow Celtic, a continental European side, an Irish club (or even League XI selection) and an MLS franchise (preferable a Boston, Chicago, Cleveland or some other city with a strong Irish-American populus). If you consider the present 'big-4' use their pre-season as a global marketing as much as a fitness recapturing exercise, this could be a nice little area to get into; I’m yet to see a cross-Atlantic pre-season experiment that also focuses on the lucrative Irish-American market. There is no better club to spearhead this venture than Aston Villa in my opinion, given the Lerner ownership, our significant previous ties with Irish internationals, our Irish manager and U.S. internationals currently in our squad. Maybe call it the Emerald Cup? I’m sure ESPN would jump at the idea.

Some other ideas that come off the top of my head to add some novel and sentimental attractions to the tournament - Paul McGrath to be guest of honour? Steve Staunton to manage the Eircom League XI? MON and Barry McGuigan to have a celebrity boxing match for the half-time show? Bring over Brady Quinn to take part in a penalty kicks competition with Brad Guzan?

The refurbishment of our national stadium, Lansdowne Road, which will hold 50,000 people will be completed in 2010, so this gives you 2 years to get it all sorted out!

Thanks for your time, and continue the admirable dedication you've thus far shown to both Aston Villa and its fans.

B.Robinson

Mr Krulak

This is how passionate we get, we do not mean to come across the way we do - we just want to be able to compete and thus want to sign quality players. Us Villa fans have had such a long time where we are dissapointed, pre season ticket sales we'd hear Doug Ellis comment about a "huge pot" for the manager - and then we would spend £7mish. So please do not think we are ungrateful, we are still getting over the heartbreak of everything before you arrived, once bitten twice shy etc and its very hard to get used to not being lied to.

So do not take things personally, we are just recoveing from a hard period still :-(

General,

In the face of what has been said over the past couple of days, I would like to jump on the appreciation band wagon with both feet and give my support to everyone involved in the running of AVFC. Wouldn't you agree that it is amazing how the press in this country can turn anything that is said by an individual into an agruement to create their own stories. Have you seen how local newspapers are using your comment on this site to pretty much say that we are about to splash an awful lot of cash?

General Krulak here:

1. I want to ASSURE all of our Fans that MON and Randy are fully aware of the concerns, frustrations, worry and, yes, compliments on running of the club. Although I cannot say whether MON or Randy come on VT and reads the thread, what I can say, FOR CERTAIN, is that I have PERSONALLY passed on your thoughts. That being said, we cannot nor should not expect MON and Randy to run our Club based on fan comments. Simply put, they know, better than any of us, what needs to be done. As I have said before, both can count and both know the date of the month. I wish I could tell you the machinations that go into obtaining an individual player but each has its own "pathway." All I do know is that MON is working very hard to get the people HE feels will help the Club. HE is the one responsible for what happens on the Pitch and HE should play the yeoman role in getting the players HE needs to reach success. He is doing it...have faith. Randy's role?? BREAK OUT THE MONEY. HE will play his part!

2. Team will be training near Marbella.

3. Ianrobo1: I hear you on ticket price...and we are working that right now.

4. blandy: I do feel AVFC can play a positive role in moving the Premier League forward.

5. Barry's actions: I do think what has happened is sad. All the shennanigans aside, Barry has been a great player for us and a fine Captain. Unfortunately, like many athletes, I think he found himself looking for the "golden ring" when it was, in fact, right in his own back yard. I am 66 years old and have seen my share of people who have had their heads turned...in each instance, it is sad. In each instance, at the end of the day, the individual wishes he/she could turn the clock back. I hope and pray that Gareth does not encounter the same thing...because, at the end of the day, I want success for everyone. I just think this was sad because everyone has been soured by the events. Hopefully something good will come from all of this.

6. Much better chance of Villa winning the League than USA winning World Cup!

7. I would rather not comment on whether Gareth has formally submitted a transfer request.

8. Don't like the winter break concept.

9. BOZZY: ALL 3!!

10. I love Lacrosse and I think the athlete that has had the greatest impact on my view of sports is Ali.

11. ST sales remain ahead of last year.

12. Irish pre-season. I think that MON will try that at some point.

13. I am not sure where we stand on paving stones...I will check.

14. Folski: You may want to call John Greenfield on this one.

General,

As usual you have responded with sense and class. Without repeating what I'm sure many have already said, like every club we have a few mindless fans who overreact and look to blame at the drop of the hat, the vast majority of Villa fans are fully behind Randy, MON, yourself and the many others working behind the scenes.

Thankyou for what you have all achieved so far, and tho there will be setbacks and pitfalls I am genuinely looking forward to the next few years, and am again proud to be a Villa fan. Thankyou.

6. Much better chance of Villa winning the League than USA winning World Cup!

didnt usa get the the quarters or semi's the one year? not to far off general.

I meant which one would you prefer, your national country winning the big prize or villa to win the league,

me and my mate were having a argument,I chose villa he chose england. :)

General, i bet you didn't expect your response to my question about funds available to get this kind of response, it's in the papers, on Sky Sports etc - you probably wish i never asked now!!!

Every media outlet is saying "Villa ready to splash out on 30 million star" or similar statements, it really is ridiculous and totally over the top, we all know you didn't mean literally we are about to buy a 30 million player, it was all theoretical as anyone who saw the question and answer would realise. Apologies if it causes you any stress. Just makes it sink it even further how much crap they all talk.

General Krulak here:

1. To be honest, I haven't seen the media...what did I do this time????? Am I in the dog house again?

If you can deliver that line with as straight a face as you type it, you should come up to Edinburgh. Many a Fringe show would benefit from such delivery. :)

Thanks General. Just wanted to say that your words on transfers have helped. Faith is the hardest thing, but there is no reason not to trust in MON and Randy to do the right thing! Let's hope they are 'always faithful' also!