General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General,

your heroes are your heroes, and that is fair enough...

...however, despite Rommel being very successful, he wasn't good enough to beat Montgomery. I notice this was mentioned in an earlier post, and I did a project specifically on the Battle of El Alamein.

I do not profess to be an expert, but merely I suggest that Montgomery was, well, awesome.

I think you will find that Rommel had far inferior resources to Monty at the time, having the additional problem of Italian soldiers. Rommel was also considered to fight ‘Krieg Ohne Hass’ war without hate; a compassionate and thoughtful warrior, respected both by his own and his enemy; the British of course made a movie about him starring James Mason. Monty on the other hand despite his miltary qualities was a difficult man (see the friction in the higher echelons of Allied command during and after Overlord) and made more than a few costly mistakes (Operation Market Garden).

Omar Bradley get a mention over the big-name bigheads like Montgomery and Bradley.

Mike

who did you really mean Mike?

I'd guess, Patton. Zuhkov was pretty useful too.

Monty was a bit like D Becks, great at set pieces but not great going forward.

General,

Can I ask where and what you all do at half time. As soon as the whistle blows the rush to get back in the stand is worse then the rest of the ground. Only a few people seem to be out for the start of the second half as well. Surely there has to be more then tea and biscuits!

Nick Beasley

Chelsea are better and have a much bigger fanbase, the only thing that favour us is our history.

The question is who has the bigger potential in fanbase? Chelsea have the home counties and west london as there catchement areas; however they face stiff competition from other London clubs and other successful teams. Villa have the potential of the whole of the Midlands region and towards the West country. There aren’t really any other big clubs in the Midlands, so the potential is greater. Get the team going in the right direction long term and Villa shouldn’t have any problems being on a fan base with Chelsea

We should be able to attract bigger crowds with prices that remain sensible rather than £50 a ticket or whatever they try and charge. Probably get similar gate receipts (depending on if they build a bigger stadium) but our "active" fan base should be at least on a par with theirs.

By active I mean fans that actually contribute something to the club (no I'm not turning this into an "I'm a better fan than you" argument), so actually give the club something over the season through buying a ticket, or a shirt, or whatever.

What about Field Marshal William Joseph Slim?

He took a thoroughly defeated British force (composed of Brits, Chinese, Zulus, Indians and Gurkhas!!), led them on a pretty hellish retreat out of Burma, retrained them to the highest possible standard with virtually no support or resources and hopelessly outnumbered, then consistently beat the Japanese into the ground. And to top it off, it was largely he who changed the British army's culture to favor merit over connections. He fought in Gallipoli. He wrote a great book, "Defeat Into Victory". Look it up. Here's something:

clicky

And what about Hannibal, Saladin, Zhukov, Napoleon, Genghis Khan...? Could go on forever

GENERAL! I was going the Club's online shop and spied an Aston Villa shirt from a by-gone era I can't recall, but think looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! It's the shirt in the "VILLAdirect" picture-heading (between the two wrapped presents). The blue one with the thin, vertical claret stripes down it.

THIS SHOULD BE OUR CURRENT STRIP. It would look amazing.

I was going the Club's online shop and spied an Aston Villa shirt from a by-gone era I can't recall, but think looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! It's the shirt in the "VILLAdirect" picture-heading (between the two wrapped presents). The blue one with the thin, vertical claret stripes down it.

THIS SHOULD BE OUR CURRENT STRIP. It would look amazing.

That'll be the 1957 Cup Final shirt. Nice shirt, with great associations, but not suitable for a regular home shirt, which MUST be claret body, blue sleeves.

So there.

Mike

Chelsea are better and have a much bigger fanbase, the only thing that favour us is our history.

The question is who has the bigger potential in fanbase? Chelsea have the home counties and west london as there catchement areas; however they face stiff competition from other London clubs and other successful teams. Villa have the potential of the whole of the Midlands region and towards the West country. There aren’t really any other big clubs in the Midlands, so the potential is greater. Get the team going in the right direction long term and Villa shouldn’t have any problems being on a fan base with Chelsea

Well said; the potential of Villa is massive, and we could be the biggest team in Britain!

There are 3.5 million adults within 25 miles of the Villa. There are 8 million within an hours drive. If you can just encourage 2% of these to become ticket buying supporters, the future could be very interesting and highly profitable.

Well said; the potential of Villa is massive, and we could be the biggest team in Britain!

There are 3.5 million adults within 25 miles of the Villa. There are 8 million within an hours drive. If you can just encourage 2% of these to become ticket buying supporters, the future could be very interesting and highly profitable.

Great arguement, much better than the stick some people love to give you when you give them a reasonable question

General...

Just wondering what position Steve Stride has at the club now- can you tell us if he is likely to be there in the long term future?

And also, the Chief exec, Fitzgerald I think his name is, is he actually in the job now? Just asking because I didn't see his name in the programme under "who's who" at the last few matches.

I think you will find that Rommel had far inferior resources to Monty at the time, having the additional problem of Italian soldiers. Rommel was also considered to fight ‘Krieg Ohne Hass’ war without hate; a compassionate and thoughtful warrior, respected both by his own and his enemy; the British of course made a movie about him starring James Mason. Monty on the other hand despite his miltary qualities was a difficult man (see the friction in the higher echelons of Allied command during and after Overlord) and made more than a few costly mistakes (Operation Market Garden).

General...

Just wondering what position Steve Stride has at the club now- can you tell us if he is likely to be there in the long term future?

And also, the Chief exec, Fitzgerald I think his name is, is he actually in the job now? Just asking because I didn't see his name in the programme under "who's who" at the last few matches.

I can answer part of that for you. In the original press release, it said that Richard Fitzgerald starts work at the Villa on 01.01.07.