Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

****SPOLIER ALERT********

I still dont understand why walt felt the need to shoot mike? was un-neccessery in my opinion

It was in a fit of rage. It's been a while since I saw the episode, but doesn't Walt say as much immediately after the shooting while he is waiting for Mike to bleed out? He could have just got the names of Mike's guys from Lydia with a simple phone call, but his hubris got in the way. I think it happened narratively to make the audience stop cheering for Walt. It's a common character arc, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. I think we all know where abouts Walt Heisenberg is on that arc at the moment.

Regarding what you said Dem...

I think Mike tells Walt at one point that he is loyal because he respects Gus as he is a consummate professional and a great businessman. It's no secret that Mike always thought of Walt as a serious problem and he was proved right.

Edited by Ginko

success!!

I think they are turning Walt into Gus slowly, slowly. I still dont understand why mike had such loyatly to Gus, he could have taken Gus out whenever he wanted

You seem to be very good at missing things Mike spells out very clearly!

;)

He is loyal to Guys because they have a very successful business. They have made millions of dollars without the police even knowing they exist so why **** all that up? Just because you want to be king for a day?

My impression: Walt, throughout the story, has considerd himself to be a a man govern by knowlegde and reason. That it's all those other losers that get killed or locked up because they loose themselves in petty feelings, not him. In that episode Walt has just grasped that he is losing his family and this business is all that he has got, and he belives he is very good at it - almost invincible. He took out Fring after all. When he meets Mike, Mike makes the same point as he did in the first episode - that Walt ruined something that was good for everybody, including himself, but also that he did not do it because of need but out of pride and to mend his hurt ego.What he thrives for is not money to secure the future or a safe place to do his cooking, but power and pride to butter up his ego. Walt is enraged by this because it's true and shoots him without thinking clearly.

tarjei, yes you are right but lets not forget where the problems first surfaced. If Gus's boys did not take out Jesse's friend then everything would have worked smoothly. Jesse wanted revenge and Walt wanted to protect him as he knew he would be killed if he did the act hence why Walt went to Gus and told him. It was gus wanting to get rid of Jesse that caused the initial problem and Walt's ego did not like the fact he was in a helpless position

tarjei, yes you are right but lets not forget where the problems first surfaced. If Gus's boys did not take out Jesse's friend then everything would have worked smoothly. Jesse wanted revenge and Walt wanted to protect him as he knew he would be killed if he did the act hence why Walt went to Gus and told him. It was gus wanting to get rid of Jesse that caused the initial problem and Walt's ego did not like the fact he was in a helpless position

You might be right there, season 5 is still fresh in my mind, but the earlier season not so much. I think I remember Walk being unhappy with the situation much earlier than that though.

In regards to what Rev said on turning Walt into a villian I don't really see it that way, but that might just be me. I always thought of Walt as being indifferent to others, and the one that I'm sympatic towards is Jessie. Walt knows how to act and what to say to reassure people, but subtly you kind of sense that he is only acting that way. He doesn't feel anything for anyone. There has been subtle signs of that in my opinon since the first few episodes, but there was a very clear indication of it when Jessie and Walt were talking about the dead kid on the dirt bike, where Walt goes from claiming to be crushed by it to cherrfully whisteling just a few seconds later.

One of my biggest problems with the show is how they handle Jesse. He spends most of the first four seasons being an arse, and it's his behaviour which causes skull the problems between Walt & Gus but because the show needs to really highlight Walt's transformation into Heisenberg* Jesse suddenly turns into this choirboy figure to make him a much more sympathetic character just so Heisenberg can be portrayed as a monster. It doesn't sit entirely right with me.

* I can't actually believe that this word was in my phone's dictionary, but it was!

What do you mean? He's always been good hearted.. just unfocused and easily manipulated

Do you think? He had an attitude problem and a serious drug habit for most of the second and third seasons, he tried to steal from Gus if I remember rightly too. He shot Gale in the face. He was a prick for ages then suddenly became a nice guy because it suits the narrative.

Do you think? He had an attitude problem and a serious drug habit for most of the second and third seasons, he tried to steal from Gus if I remember rightly too. He shot Gale in the face. He was a prick for ages then suddenly became a nice guy because it suits the narrative.

Whilst yes, Jesse has clearly had his many faults and is fell off the moral high ground he may have once aspired to early on, that still doesn't mean that his heart isn't a good one. The death of his girlfriend, the drug addiction, the shooting of Gale etc, it's no wonder Jesse had gone off the deep end at times. These are all events that he has been manipulated into in some way. If it was up to Jesse he and Walt would still be making a couple of grand a week shifting bumps to street urchins and he'd have been happy with that.

It suits the narrative because its a part if his arc. He is finding his redemption, his peace.... At least we think so....

Â