US Presidential Election 2012

legov

There's never been a more powerful VP than Cheney. He was essentially the boss. Bush was just the goofy puppet.

Biden's role has been to pander to the white working class and Catholics.

Rice would lend instant foreign policy cred to the ticket, and that cannot be overlooked. She certainly won't sink his campaign like Palin did McCain's...

It might be a masterstroke by Romney. It could sway a lot of the Rust Belt Obama voters who are disillusioned with him.

Rice has gone public that she is "pro-choice" and that won't sit well at all with the hard right of the GOP and the Tea Party.

Whilst having Rice on the ticket would appeal to the centre, it will alienate the right. Big decision for Mitt.

I'd say that is a risk worth taking, because at the end of the day, the right leaning people will not vote for Obama no matter what, so in their case it becomes more so a case of voting for the lesser of two evils in their eyes, which should still suit Romney. Then, the inclusion of Rice would probably help gain some minority vote and some other swing voters/independents/etc.

On further reflection, the Rice issue raises two problems...

1. Condi doesn't want the job..

"I cannot imagine myself running for office," she told CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" in January. "Not because politics are so tough, but it's just not me."

"There is no way that I will do this because it's really not me. I know my strengths and Governor Romney needs to find someone who wants to run with him. There are many people who will do it very, very well. I'll support the ticket," Rice reiterated on CBS News last month.

What is Rice's response to the Drudge "exclusive?"

This may speak for itself: She didn't respond to an e-mail and her chief of staff told us her past comments stand, and that she is on vacation and not available for further comment.

2. Her abortion stance really makes her a non-starter anyway, especially since Mitt promised last year that his VP pick would be a conservative, pro-life pro-"traditional marriage" person. He can't afford to piss off the Tea Party, as we saw in the mid-term elections. The Tea Party will happily strike down the GOP ticket if he doesn't pander to them.

He may be able to convince Rice to run in some kind of patriotic call to service. But I think the damage it would do to his campaign would kill it off.

Rice is still tainted by Gulf War 2. Independent voters would be turned off by that. Conservative voters would be turned off by her abortion stance. Is she qualified to be "a heartbeat away from the Presidency", given the fact that she has never held elected office before? Expect left-leaning commentators to make hay with a line like "even less qualified than Sarah Palin".

I reckon he'll go for Rob Portman.

"I cannot imagine myself running for office," she told CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" in January. "Not because politics are so tough, but it's just not me."

"There is no way that I will do this because it's really not me. I know my strengths and Governor Romney needs to find someone who wants to run with him. There are many people who will do it very, very well. I'll support the ticket," Rice reiterated on CBS News last month.

This may speak for itself: She didn't respond to an e-mail and her chief of staff told us her past comments stand, and that she is on vacation and not available for further comment.

2. Her abortion stance really makes her a non-starter anyway, especially since Mitt promised last year that his VP pick would be a conservative, pro-life pro-"traditional marriage" person. He can't afford to piss off the Tea Party, as we saw in the mid-term elections. The Tea Party will happily strike down the GOP ticket if he doesn't pander to them.

He may be able to convince Rice to run in some kind of patriotic call to service. But I think the damage it would do to his campaign would kill it off.

Rice is still tainted by Gulf War 2. Independent voters would be turned off by that. Conservative voters would be turned off by her abortion stance. Is she qualified to be "a heartbeat away from the Presidency", given the fact that she has never held elected office before? Expect left-leaning commentators to make hay with a line like "even less qualified than Sarah Palin".

Sometimes I think we over-analyse things. I've never thought of the average American voter as a sophisticated, widely read person - he/she would probably be unaware of Rice's pro-choice stance, for example.

Or even worse, he/she might not even know who Rice is - "Rice? Mmmmm like rice, risotto ommnomm"

Sometimes I think we over-analyse things. I've never thought of the average American voter as a sophisticated, widely read person - he/she would probably be unaware of Rice's pro-choice stance, for example.

Or even worse, he/she might not even know who Rice is - "Rice? Mmmmm like rice, risotto ommnomm"

I think you do the American conservative right a bit of a disservice.

The VAST majority of GOP voters will listen to conservative talk radio and will be guided in their voting decision by religious commentators/analysts. If you think that the far right Tea Party commentators won't talk about her pro-choice standpoint, you're sadly mistaken.

They might not carpet her for it, but they will highlight it and use it as a discussion of whether Romney is truthful in his pro-life beliefs, given he went public as pro-choice some years ago but has reversed his position.

A big question for GOP voters will be whether President Romney would seek to appoint a VERY conservative or just SLIGHTLY conservative Supreme Court judge, if the need arises. And having a Vice President Rice weighing in on that discussion would scare far-right GOP voters rigid.

As for the Rice/Risotto thing, seriously???

Romney is full of half truths an uninspiring speaker and just not enigmatic enough to be elected President - particularly as US economy is starting to look a bit more chipper....

Obama will be re-elected, despite all the money been thrown at ensuring he is not. The crucial independents will have seen the issues caused by the Tea party in Congress and hopefully realise a President who is beholden completely to them is not a good idea, at all.

There's even less of a chance a far right Tea Party type knows what risotto is...any food or person with a vowel at the end of it's name is suspect to them....

There's even less of a chance a far right Tea Party type knows what risotto is...any food or person with a vowel at the end of it's name is suspect to them....

How about

Rice-Krispies.jpg

That Rory Delap has a long throw-in, doesn't he?

gosh, these American's are a rude bunch, aren't they?

If this has been discussed before, than have the good grace to say so, rather than wheel out a tired VT saying that has long since been and gone.

it's because they lost the war of independence :winkold:

I like Condi Rice from a presentation standpoint, but from a substance standpoint she was always just a GWB shill (or Cheney). I think she is smart, professional, and has great foreign policy experience, but that experience coincides with policies and a position and strategy that largely alienated the rest of world.

As for the VP, they can only hurt a ticket, not help it. Americans largely realize that while complementary skills to the candidate, experience, and the whole "heart beat away" thing are important, they are not making the decisions. A VP choice can hurt a ticket, but it can't help a candidate win who was not going to already.

Condi is a risk for Romney in that he MUST carry the conservative vote, and get them to the polls. Condi being pro-choice (and *whisper* a black woman) will affect that constituency. Those in the middle again will not choose a candidate to support based on the VP choice.

If this has been discussed before, than have the good grace to say so, rather than wheel out a tired VT saying that has long since been and gone.

Don't throw us ALL under the bus :P

Â