US Presidential Election 2012

legov

I got is that it is neck and neck and nobody is sure which way it will go .. Lot of negative Obama adverts on TV and if your average American voter is like your average sun reader here in the UK , those adverts could swing it in Mitt's favour

This is what amazes me, I just don't get it.

If you look at the candidates it should be a one horse race. No one should ever vote for Romney, especially not with Paul Ryan as a running mate.

The two of them have contradicted themselves constantly, it's ridiculous how they can be in the race despite the only consistency being their inconsistency. The amount of times Romney has switched positions on topics to suit the audience is crazy.

If there was a fair open debating process in the US they'd be ripped apart, but there's not, because the Republicans and Democrats got together and decided their debates would be rigged.

I guess Obama's problem is he couldn't live up to the hype .....

The problem is also that he's had his hands tied for the past 2 years unable to actually pass any legislation.

The republican's have played the part of the opposition perfectly, block everything he wants to do, then blame him when nothings changes.

'kin hell. Obama brings in a law authorising indefinite detention of US citizens by the military, yet is still held up by some as a liberal hero!! None so blind as those who will not see.

Yep. It's absolutely sinister, really. Dark days ahead, I'm afraid.

'kin hell. Obama brings in a law authorising indefinite detention of US citizens by the military, yet is still held up by some as a liberal hero!! None so blind as those who will not see.

As appalling as Obama has been, there's little doubt that the competition is even dodgier:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/30/paul-ryans-speech-audacious-untruths

There has to be a reason why knowledge of this isn't widespread. Is it really as bad as it looks at first glance? Laws aren't very clear-cut....things.

There has to be a reason why knowledge of this isn't widespread. Is it really as bad as it looks at first glance? Laws aren't very clear-cut....things.

Well, the US seems to accept things like the CIA torturing people to death, and also the press collude with the CIA to suppress news.

It's a pretty illiberal country, despite the hype.

It's not just about Obama though, is it? The law was passed almost unanimously, so if it's really that bad, surely fingers will have to be pointed at the entire federal government, both legislators and executives.

• 1 month later...
Mitt Romney absolutely destroyed Obama in the first debate tonight. Suddenly it's not the done deal everyone thought it was. Stunning debate result.

Yep, I don't think anyone was expecting that.

Seen a fair bit of talk that Romney just lied throughout the entire thing in particularly blatant manner and that Obama seemed to be tired and didn't bother to combat Romney much at all.

Doesn't Romney have a rep as a decent debater?

Â