20mph speed limits

Morkery

I can drive safely on the rural roads I know at national speed limit. Don't see the need.

I wish I had the chance to get up to that. I must average 35mph a day due to tractors....

Yep, and slowpokes.

I drive through a lot of rural lanes on myw ay to and from work, and I never usually get too close to getting towards the national speed limit, due to slow pokes.

OK, you can carry out an overtake, in some places, but the roads aren't really conducive to that, and it can be a bit risky. So you often have to go at the speed of the slowpoke, whoh are often scared/shit drivers who can't go any faster.

So I don't think reducing the limit will have any real impact. Boy racers and slowpokes will still go at the same speed whatever.

The 'slowpokes' are probably simply non-locals. I'm happy to up the speed on rural roads when I'm familiar with them, but sometimes I'm not, and I take it slower - that's when I get irate locals (hi Jon) tailgating behind me and overtaking dangerously through impatience. Fact is, you never know what's around the next bend, even when you know that road quite well.

Chill.

I don't tailgate, but do overtake when I get the opportunity.

I honestly do actually view cars/people that hold me up in this manner as 'time thieves'.

I'd like to get from A to B as quickly and safely as possible, and these people often prevent that from happening.

I do agree with the need to chill behind the wheel, but with some time thieves out there, it's very difficult.

Getting my DAB car radio installed has helped immensely with the chilling but though :nod:

I don't tailgate, but do overtake when I get the opportunity.

I honestly do actually view cars/people that hold me up in this manner as 'time thieves'.

I'd like to get from A to B as quickly and safely as possible, and these people often prevent that from happening.

This

problem I have is that if I have done a journey in 17 minutes once before then 17 mins is all I allow the next time I do the journey , the time being spent elsewhere doing better things (like VT for example :-) )

thus when you got some old codger in his pork pie hat doing 28 and slowing you down , invariably that means i will be late ... when I was younger I'd have just over taken him on a blind bend or something , but nowadays I'll just cuss my way behind him and overtake when there is a suitable stretch of road

Aye, the unnecessarily slow drivers are annoying.

I don't mean slow drivers. Everyone's entitled to go slow. If I was drivng in unfamiliar surroundings I'd go slow. But sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Last time I was in Ireland (last summer) I was told there was a law there that said if there was a queue of 7 or more cars behind you (I think it was 7) then you were obliged to pull over and let them past.

I don't think it's enforced very much (if it's even true) but it's a law that I would fully back!

Fair enough. It was my uncle, who drives a tractor, who told me. Don't imagine he'd make it up so probably just heard it off someone who heard it off someone etc etc

Last time I was in Ireland (last summer) I was told there was a law there that said if there was a queue of 7 or more cars behind you (I think it was 7) then you were obliged to pull over and let them past.

I don't think it's enforced very much (if it's even true) but it's a law that I would fully back!

I have seen tractors in this country do that. Around Styal, Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, the Tractor will pull into laybys at regular intervals to let the queueing traffic past, and then resume their journey. Maybe they're just being polite?

A quick google shows tractor drivers (in Ireland) have been prosecuted in the past for not letting people pass.

But it all seems to fall under the umbrella of showing "due care and consideration for other road users"

Oh yeah, I know they do move over out of courtesy probably more than anything else. I wasn't suggesting the only reason they move over is to abide by the law.

Was just curious to see if the law someone had mentioned existed.

A couple of years ago we were driving back to Leeds from Cumbria on the A65, and coming the other other way was a horse-drawn caravan on its way to the Appleby horse fair. The traffic tailback behind it was - well let's say MANY miles.

Horse drawn caravan though. Probably pikeys who couldn't care less - or worse - actively revel in inconveniencing others.

This talk of speed on twisty winding high hedge country roads reminds me of a story I heard from a copper while I was in Aber. Aber's police force seems to like boasting about how good they are with fast response, and the proof of it according to the copper was one of their number getting from Aberystwyth to a small seaside town, Borth, about 7/8 miles away, via the coast road.

We used to have a caravan near Borth and we would travel into Aber on a Saturday, sometimes via the coast road because it's a shorter run. From something like Google Maps it doesn't look bad, but then you realise about 80% of it is narrow lanes, blind twists and drops, at one point has a hairpin turn up a really steep incline, some shifty junctions and with few passing points. You were doing well if you did the run in 20 minutes or so. The coppers reckon one of their guys did it in well under 10 on a fast response. It actually kinda scared me just thinking about it, I would not want to be doing that run at much above 40 for most of it. This guy must have been knocking on for 60 constantly.

I don't think there was that much bravado in it either - my dad can remember it making the local news of a copper doing the same run a few years before in a similar time. At night too.

Horse drawn caravan though. Probably pikeys who couldn't care less - or worse - actively revel in inconveniencing others.
Oh, they clearly did. Made damn sure nobody could get past.

It was actually quite funny in a way - but only because I was going in the opposite direction.

The best bit was when we finally passed the tail end of the queue, watching the unconcerned faces of the drivers cruising up to it, with NO idea what was about to happen. :twisted::lol:

watching the unconcerned faces of the drivers cruising up to it, with NO idea what was about to happen

:crylaugh: I do love when that happens too.

watching the unconcerned faces of the drivers cruising up to it, with NO idea what was about to happen

:crylaugh: I do love when that happens too.

I'm the opposite. I can feel their soon to be pain, and would really want to be able to warn them in some way. But there's no way of letting them know.

I don't derive any pleasure or amusement from knowing some poor saps are in for a long, long wait/traffic jam.

Â