Match Thread...

theboyangel

Are we forgetting things here! L2 side that finnished 17th last season, West ham, Everton and READING all stuffed there Leaugue 2 opponents yet Villa had to reley on an own goal to get us started. we need fire power, Benty needs to up his game, from what i saw he was crap.

Oh behave, the result doesn't matter it's about the players getting used to playing together and match fitness!

Ok! point taken, but why the hell cant we score? We shoved a lot of strikers/midfielders out there who can score for the reserves and yet they still can't hit the goal from 10 yards, my daughter can strike better than Benty and she is 7 next month.

Are we forgetting things here! L2 side that finnished 17th last season, West ham, Everton and READING all stuffed there Leaugue 2 opponents yet Villa had to reley on an own goal to get us started. we need fire power, Benty needs to up his game, from what i saw he was crap.

Oh behave, the result doesn't matter it's about the players getting used to playing together and match fitness!

Ok! point taken, but why the hell cant we score? We shoved a lot of strikers/midfielders out there who can score for the reserves and yet they still can't hit the goal from 10 yards, my daughter can strike better than Benty and she is 7 next month.

Early days...

Today was his first game since March so he was undoubtedly going to be rusty. Give them a break for god sake please. Yes it wasn't the greatest performance in the world but we won and practically the whole team got 45 minutes under their belts.

Also don't forget, that was our teams first attempt at attacking football in 12 months after that last idiot in charge don't forget!

Man City lost to Al Hilal with Tevez, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Zabaleta, Kolarov and Johnson all playing.

Not playing well in a friendly game isn't a reflection of how the season is going to go. Give them time. New manager, new tactics and new faces.

Are you going for Warnock based on his experience cause i wouldn't say he was any better than Stevens today...

He was better. Stevens didn't do much for forty minutes. I used to play RB and I wanted to see how my namesake is getting on so I spent most of the half watching him. He was caught watching the ball a few times, and rarely ran into the space after making a pass. At one point in particular N'Zog was in trouble in the box (and the trouble lasted about 20 seconds, as it always does with Zoggy) and Stevens would have been in a fantastic position to whip in a cross had he moved about ten yards forward. He just stood there.

He is a bit of a Championship-level player atm but he has potential. He reminds me a bit like Lichaj a couple of years ago. Really hope Enda improves his positioning a bit so he can challenge Warnock, because that wally really needs competition. I watched the Everton match at home the other day. Warnock was shocking.

But anyway, on the basis of today, the spot is still Warnock's to lose imho.

Benty needs to up his game, from what i saw he was crap.

First game in six months.

A good day out. They definitely sold too many tickets for that terrace though!

KEA and Holman were the best two players in their respective halves for me.

Nice to see Lowton as #2 with Hutton #28, he was terrible again today, such bad crossing, can we leave him in America?

Bent looked rusty as should be expected; Clark looked very assured; Nzogbia needs more match practice; Gabby sadly needs to go; Fonz just doesn't look good enough.

A good day out. They definitely sold too many tickets for that terrace though!

KEA and Holman were the best two players in their respective halves for me.

Nice to see Lowton as #2 with Hutton #28, he was terrible again today, such bad crossing, can we leave him in America?

Bent looked rusty as should be expected; Clark looked very assured; Nzogbia needs more match practice; Gabby sadly needs to go; Fonz just doesn't look good enough.

Nah, we're doing fine at right back. You can keep him.

Man City lost to Al Hilal with Tevez, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Zabaleta, Kolarov and Johnson all playing.

Not playing well in a friendly game isn't a reflection of how the season is going to go. Give them time. New manager, new tactics and new faces.

I'm not saying we wont do well next season! And what TF has Man Shitty got to do with Villa, you lost the plot mate, i was just saying "We could and should have done better."

MARSHALL IN GOAL FOR THE WHOLE GAME

(1st half) HUTTON, LOWTON, CLARK, STEVENS, CARRUTHERS, JOHNSON, EL AHMADI, N'ZOGBIA, WEIMANN, BENT.

Nothing could have been done about their goal, possibly could've got tighter and closed him down but it was a good strike.

At the time, I wondered why they ignored Weimann when he scored but then I realised it was an own goal and as a bloke next to me said "Weimann did well to put the pressure on there" which he did.

Already look to have good football philosophy.

El Ahmadi and Stevens were the best two players for me.

Nice fluid pass and move style.

El Ahmadi will make N'Zogbia look better in the same way Weimann will benefit Bent by playing close by doing the hard work and always giving an option if Bent or N'Zogbia get stuck. N'Zogbia seemed up for it.

Johnson bit nervy but busy.

Hutton played best ball of his Villa career but it was still to no one. Bent wore armband apparently he volunteered to wear it.

(2nd half) LICHAJ, COLLINS, BAKER, WARNOCK, BANNAN, HERD, GARDNER, HOLMAN, DELEFOUNSEO, AGBONLAHOR.

No Albrighton, Delph or Ireland. Apparently injured but maybe I'm being cynical but bit weird and typical they're already carrying knocks just from pre-season but I suppose it happens. Marshall made great save in this half.

Holman looked lively and scored a good goal.

Creativity dipped in the centre of the park for this half. Lichaj played well.

Bannan not so good, busy but sloppy his mistake nearly gave a goal away. Collins sloppy. Hope Baker is ok from the challenge that hurt him, he seemed to be.

Fair play to Lambert he's given everyone a chance to impress, for example Hutton, Warnock and Collins, so they'll only have themselves to blame if they don't meet his standard.

All well and good saying it's just a friendly, especially it being the first friendly, to ease in. But they still have to perform and for me, the new players look promising and those who took the lions share of the blame last season still look like the criticism was deserved.

Benty needs to up his game, from what i saw he was crap.

First game in six months.

No excusse!! Sorry he is a proffesional footballer who makes a living on scoring goals, six months or six weeks should not hinder his capacity to SCORE!

What? So he should come back from a serious injury and be in form straight away? It seems that it's you who has 'lost the plot'.

Â