Why Lambert will be a Success

smetrov

it will be interesting to see how we fair against sunderland in terms of league position over the next few seasons.

The passing game v Hoofball.

An observation from the pre-season so far.

Very nice to control the ball, but we'll have to be careful about doing a Wigan and playing nice stuff but having the resistance of a wet tissue.

A central three of Ireland, El Ahmadi and Bannan would get bullied I think. Maybe not bullied, but they'd be easy to bypass, these boys don't really know how to defend, their positioning if well off when we lose the ball, occasionally against these American chaps they've all been sucked over the one side leaving horrible gaps.

I do think Lambert will be aware of this, and the passing is being pushed to the extreme in pre-season so we have it in our locker. Playing that style requires bottle, real proper bravery to stand up and have the ball at your feet, he wants the players to have the confidence to do it. What won't help when we try and shift it forwards is Bent's horrible touch, hope he's sharp for kick off.

Am more than hopeful that PL will be a success, I just wish we'd been given a more favourable set of fixtures (like AM had last year).

That said, everything about him so far instils confidence, he's a winner, he wants to play possession football, he's trying to find value in our signings, there's a real buzz around the place.

I am going to be a voice of dissent, I dont think the team has changed drastically enough at this point to be successful this season, I think we will be battling relegation again.

I am going to be a voice of dissent, I dont think the team has changed drastically enough at this point to be successful this season, I think we will be battling relegation again.

Then you must have watched nothing of the pre-season matches, and if you have it's baffling that you come to that conclusion.

In a very short space of time we look a totally different side. We pass it very well, have a bit of confidence and are unbeaten thus far.

Im not saying we are gonig to be pushing for top 6 but your statement is just wrong.

Ah sorry, I want to be proven wrong but playing Burton and US teams, for me at this point isnt an indicator. So you see from preseason that not only is it a marked improvement on the shower of shit the players were peddling as football last season, but good enough for lets say a top nine finish? Lets not kid outrselves, yes they are better than last season, but thats not a hugely impossible thing is it.

It didn't have to.

The squad we had last season was easily capable of a midtable finish. It was just managed by someone who was tragically out of his depth.

The mere fact we have a good manager, regardless of players in or out, is enough to see us rise a good few places.

It didn't have to.

The squad we had last season was easily capable of a midtable finish. It was just managed by someone who was tragically out of his depth.

The mere fact we have a good manager, regardless of players in or out, is enough to see us rise a good few places.

I'm somewhere between these two views. I don't think the squad last season was a mid-table capable one. Yes the manager at the time caused us to be even lower in terms of points, but I think we were a 16/15/14/13th place squad.

With the changes so far, we're 15-12th looking, maybe if PL works some real magic, rather than just does well, we could be about 9th.

More players in and out could improve that, obviously.

Let's hope there is quite a lot more transfer business in the offing. The squad is currently very unbalanced IMO and in some positions we look low on both quality and cover.

I see a bit of MON's first season about this one coming up.

With the early fixtures, I think a good start is on the cards which will predictably inflate expectations followed by a difficult winter when tougher games and a lack of a decent squad will probably hurt us before a good finish which will hint at a more consistant following season.

So yeah 11th then.

Let's hope there is quite a lot more transfer business in the offing. The squad is currently very unbalanced IMO and in some positions we look low on both quality and cover.

I agree, in fact I'd say that we lack both quality and cover in most if not all positions personally, there isn't one element of the team that I don't think could do with improving or strengthening.

These couple of weeks were always going to be quiet on the transfer front with them being in the US, if things haven't improved in another 2 weeks then I will be concerned.

I thought going to the U.S.A. was a great idea, three good performances, three good wins, the humidity, the fitness and physicality of the opposition, the buzz, the meeting of a different culture and the excitement and willingess of our hosts.

Yes, it removed us physically from any transfers but a lot of the business communications can be done by e-mail, telephone etc and now Lambert will return to deal with anything he has to.

I'm sure there were representatives (Faulkner for the most part except the Portland game) that were available to meet and greet anyone. Lambert only has to let people know what he wants.

Going to The States was a huge success, in my opinion.

I'm not convinced that going on a tour seriously impacts transfer activity.

It may have some impact but it's 2012, there are many many ways to contact people if you want to and football clubs employ people (I.e. Faulkner) to step in when people (I.e. Lambert) are otherwise engaged.

Pretty much all major clubs tour during pre-season, are you seriously suggesting they have no contingency plan in place or just accept that they simply can't do any business for 1-2 weeks?!

Â