Why Lambert will be a Success

smetrov

I'm concerned none of the trouble makers have been booted out yet

It's one of the initial mistakes McLeish made

There's a core there that will take most managers down unless they are kicked out

A core that got us to 6th in 09/10 with one of the best defensive records in the league.

no idea if he will be a success or not but this quote from El Ahmadi is a good enough start for me

El Ahmadi has been impressed with the emphasis Lambert has placed on possession football during the first week of training.

:suspect: Sounds very Football Manager

There's a core there that will take most managers down unless they are kicked out

A core that got us to 6th in 09/10 with one of the best defensive records in the league.

look at the squad then

look at the squad now

consider your statement

look at the squad then

look at the squad now

consider your statement

Doesn't change the fact that they helped us do well that season.

Our best midfield and attacking players have gone but the defence (i.e. most of the purported troublemakers) is still largely the same one we used a few seasons ago.

Point being, the troublemakers weren't so bad back then. Maybe they deserve a second look.

Depends what we all determine a success really, any improvement on last season is relative success. Top 10 and he's done well, a sustained top 6 challenge and he's done brilliantly.

I think we will finish top 10 and flirt with the top 7 for the most part of the season. I think PL has all the characteristics to be a success here, and he just needs a bit of luck and good backing which he will get IMO.

We need at least 3 or 4 more quality additions before the season starts or I think we will be in for another tough season.

Depending on the quality of the additions, 3-4 could get us to 6-10th, but I agree with you that we must bring in more players.

It's quite interesting that some quarters were saying that Lambert was another MON, only taking players from Britain, his track record up until joining us, possibly suggested that too, Perhaps though it was just Lambert working within his means all along, and thought he'd struggle to attract Dutch Internationals to Narwich.

I hope to see something like this at some point:

--------------------Bent-----------------------

-------Ireland---------------N'Zogbia-------

--Makoun-------El Ahmadi-----Gardner---

Ireland as primary attacking playmaker with few defensive responsibilities.

N'Zog (or Gabby/Holman/Albrighton perhaps) drifting out to the flanks to give width.

And swap out Gardner/Makoun for other midfield options (Delph, Holman, Bannan, Herd, Johnson).

I hope to see something like this at some point:

--------------------Bent-----------------------

-------Ireland---------------N'Zogbia-------

--Makoun-------El Ahmadi-----Gardner---

Ireland as primary attacking playmaker with few defensive responsibilities.

N'Zog (or Gabby/Holman/Albrighton perhaps) drifting out to the flanks to give width.

And swap out Gardner/Makoun for other midfield options (Delph, Holman, Bannan, Herd, Johnson).

Reading this makes me think we really are pretty well off in midfield now. Lack of wide men maybe a problem though. But if cleverly managed, we have the potential to do very well.

As exciting as that looks I cant imagine we'll be seeing a midfield three of Makoun, KEA and Gardner early in the season. Makoun still has some work to do to prove he's up the PL speed, KEA will need to fully settle in and Gardner is quite inexperienced himself, obviously they could all have blinding pre-season campaigns but I'd say that's an unlikely starting line up for West Ham.

Depends what we all determine a success really, any improvement on last season is relative success. Top 10 and he's done well, a sustained top 6 challenge and he's done brilliantly.

I think we will finish top 10 and flirt with the top 7 for the most part of the season. I think PL has all the characteristics to be a success here, and he just needs a bit of luck and good backing which he will get IMO.

I more or less agree with your opinion of what would constitute success next year. Personally I'd like to look at it in points, way I see it I'd like us to win at least 8 games at home, not lose more than 5 at home, win at least 5 away, lose no more than 8 away. Think that would put us on 51 points, ideally Id want that minimum, but some years the league can be very tight and only a few points seperating 6 and 16th.

It's quite interesting that some quarters were saying that Lambert was another MON, only taking players from Britain, his track record up until joining us, possibly suggested that too, Perhaps though it was just Lambert working within his means all along, and thought he'd struggle to attract Dutch Internationals to Narwich.

What I don't understand was why people were even thinking that in the first place.

Just looking back to Norwich last season and ridiculous the amount of times they changed the first 11 about. Just upfront they started the season with Grant Holt and Chris Martin, then Steve Morison got his games, then the pace of Simeon Jackson would be used.

Constant rotation in midfield aswell, Bennett and Pilkington would play wide mostly but some games it would be Surman and Bradley Johnson out wide.

Remarkable when you compare it to Swansea who a similar excellent season and yet they had a pretty settled first 11 for most of the season. Aside from a few blips Norwich's results didn't really suffer and when they did they responded immediately...losing 5-1 at Man. City was followed by a 4-2 win over Newcastle, 0-3 at home to Liverpool was followed by a brilliant 3-3 at Arsenal.

What I'm trying to say is the days of a fixed inflexible 11 under MON followed by the usual 70 min sub of Carew for Heskey type management are long gone imo.

It will be different selections for different opponents...some games it will be Lichaj at RB, other times Lowton. Some games will favour a Dunne/Vlaar combo (Stoke), other times Clark will come in and god knows the different midfield line ups we'll have through the season. I think Guzan will take over from Given at some stage of the season aswell.

Over area I expect unchanged will be upfront. Bent as obviously he's the best striker we have at the club, I can see Holman being a regular as he strikes me as someone who'll fit into Lambert's way of playing and N'zogbia/Gabby the other side depending on who's on form.

It's going to be fun. I think.

My only concern about lambert is that if things happen to piss him off

Are you bringing back your trademark conspiracy theories about the board?

:lol:

Do you mean the theories that have been proed right in the last two or three years , like mid table board for a midtable club, or other theories ? Or have I just said I hope lambert doesn't get pissed off?

Â