The enemy within - Summer 2012

TrentVilla

With the anniversary of 7/7 fast approaching and the spector of the Olympics in London events have taken a seemingly dark turn today with two events which we are being told are unrelated....

A MAJOR police operation was carried out on a coach on the M6 toll after a passenger was seen acting suspiciously – as six terror arrests were made in London.

Almost 50 people were evacuated from a coach today after armed police closed the major motorway.

It is understood a male passenger was seen pouring liquid into bag which was "smoking", say reports.

Police closed off the road, near Birmingham, between junctions three and four in both directions, the Highways Agency said.

Meanwhile in London five men and a woman have been arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism, police said today.

A 24-year-old man was Tasered during his arrest, but did not require hospital treatment, a force spokesman added.

But the incident is not thought to be linked to the M6 operation.

Here

Apologies for using The Sun when there are so many other sources covering the story but it was the first link I found covering both in a short quotable paragraph.

Worrying summer ahead if this is anything to go by.

Interesting one to follow and there have got to be some major attempts n these games!

video

Armed police have swooped on a coach on the M6 Toll motorway in the West Midlands.

A police source told BBC Radio WM a passenger was seen pouring a liquid into a box, which then started smoking.

The 48 passengers on the Megabus Preston to London service were led off the coach and forced to sit apart in a cordon on the opposite carriageway.

The motorway was closed in both directions between junctions T3 and T4 at Weeford Park Plaza, near Lichfield.

Police said the coach stopped on the hard shoulder "of its own accord" at 0820 BST.

Sniffer dogs

A Megabus spokeswoman said the coach left Preston at 05:10 and was due in London at 10:55.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It all just took off, ambulances left right and centre and armed police in black caps”

End Quote

Nick Jones

Eyewitness

She said: "We are assisting police with their enquiries into an allegation made against a passenger who was travelling on board one of our services."

Armed police officers could be seen next to the single-decker coach on the southbound carriageway, as passengers were led off one by one.

Passengers were made to sit on the northbound carriageway, apart from one another, while surrounded by officers.

Sniffer dogs and forensic officers were also brought in to aid the search, as officers in forensic suits and others in military fatigues checked the area.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed military personnel were assisting police, at their request, under routine procedure.

The fire service, police from the West Midlands and Staffordshire forces and ambulance crews were all involved in the operation.

By midday, the passengers were moved on to another coach which remained parked under the canopy of nearby toll booths.

Air con warning

Nick Jones, a sales manager from Cambridge, was caught up in the incident while driving to the Lake District.

He said he was about four vehicles behind the coach when police stopped traffic.

"I've never seen so many ambulances turning up, also armed police, helicopter and dozens of police cars.

Passengers were forced off the coach and made to sit on the carriageway "We were told to stay in our cars, keep windows up and not put air conditioning on.

"Police were looking in hedgerows and verges on the northbound carriageway.

"It all just took off, ambulances left right and centre and armed police in black caps."

Another eye-witness Barry Jarvis told the BBC that cars were cleared from toll booths.

He said: "It was very puzzling as to what was going on at first as there weren't that many police there.

"It was only after 20 minutes or so when all these unmarked cars coming through that we thought something major was happening.

"As we were diverted, we could see armed police at the toll booths, and the fire brigade."

The Highways Agency said the road closure was likely to remain in place until early afternoon.

The most interesting thing to think about is that this is the stuff they are doing publically and have to talk about.

"Security Services do job - everyone safe but ooooh beware of the terrorists" type stories.

Imagine for a minute the stuff the security services are up to that you nor anyone else will ever hear about. THAT is the worrying stuff.

Remind me to not pour a cup of tea on the bus in the next couple of months. :shock:

Must admit this was the first thing I thought.

"What if he was just having some soup from his thermos?"

Its no secret that the Olympic games will be a feeding ground for about every terrorist group in the world that hates the west

The eyes of the world will be on London around that time and im sure there will be some out there wanting to make a statement and capitalise on the publicity

We have to make sure were ready for this and i think we are considering the amount of money we have thrown at security during the games

Maybe the bloke was asthmatic reached inside his bag for his inhaler and accidently set it off as he pulled it out

Can't blame the security services for being better safe than sorry though especially after 7/7

Heard a great quote once, along the lines of "Feed the fear then justify the security". It was more pointed than that but you get the jist.

Police indicated the incident was not linked to counter-terrorism raids in London, and they had not stopped the coach as part of a planned counter-terrorism operation

maybe Lord Lucan was spotted on board ?

And shock horror, it appears the M6 Toll thing is nothing - no suspects. It's going to end up being some bloke making a pot noodle, the Guardian's even reporting it was hot water.

And shock horror, it appears the M6 Toll thing is nothing - no suspects. It's going to end up being some bloke making a pot noodle, the Guardian's even reporting it was hot water.

Although to be fair to the Police, they had to respond in the way they did. Had they not and the bus had been blown up at Victoria Station or whatever, they would get grief for responding along the lines of "don't worry - its just hot water"

Refer to my post. It'll ramp up now. Scare the shit out of everyone Fox News stylee so that no-one bats an eyelid at the Orwellian security. It's laughably transparent.

Fully aware of the politics of fear, trust me.

I don't, however, subscribe to the idea that this is planned and orchestrated to further a crack down on freedoms - I honestly think governments are too messy and stupid to manage that. It happens because they react moronically, and because the public that matters is slightly right of Hitler and reactionary in the extreme, the government is encouraged to react stupidly. They'll basically achieve this curtailment of liberty through incompetence rather than carefully considered plans.

I can't say I blame the police for reacting as they did, they basically had to, but you kinda hope that a bit more thought was put into things before someone on a megabus sees a bloke making a cuppa (no doubt a Muslim looking bloke) and immediately goes 'BOMB!' and then half of Staffordshire constabulary shuts the M6 Toll, inconveniencing literally 15 people this afternoon.

The information received concerned a report of vapour escaping from a bag which on investigation turned out to be a health improvement aid for smokers," a force spokeswoman said.

Â