General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Lerner has done more than enough for this club with the hundereds of millions he has put into the club, some people are really ungreatful.

He's not doing it for our sakes. Gratitude doesn't come into it. We can be glad if he spends more, or unhappy if he spends less, but being grateful would be an odd reaction.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how people on here tend to range from one extreme to the other.

I can definitely see both side's POV.

While I totally agree that Lerner has spent plenty of his own money on Villa and I see the value in a long-term young players based approach, I do look and think "Shit, we really have fallen a long way".

Spin it how you like but for one reason or another, it would seem that a large portion of Villa fans are now happy with us avoiding relegation.

That saddens me more than anything.

My god.

We have to be grateful for what Lerner has done?

For what? Running the clubs finances in an appalling manner? Hiring Mcleish? Seeing us drop down the league?

He's spent some money. That's what football owners are meant to do. If he wasn't prepared to do that then he shouldn't have purchased the club.

so you want us to do a leeds and get royally ****? The finances were messed up, now he is correcting it, have some patience! why is it all now now now?

how many oil rich owners do you think there are out there? how many people are there in the world with enough money to spend 200m on a club and then invest another 100m on players...

Of course we have money.

Lerner is rich, he has just gained $1 billion and our wage bill is at a fairly low level.

For what ever reason, we are not prepared to spend a decent amount of money on improving an incredibly weak squad.

Lerner might be rich but the club isnt. He doesnt have to spend millions of his own money just so he can please some gobshite on the internet. The money he got from the Browns is his money not Villa's money.

The sense of entitlement among people here is amazing.

THIS!

Lerner has done more than enough for this club with the hundereds of millions he has put into the club, some people are really ungreatful. Why dont you spunk all of your money over and over again and get no results, a bt of perspective jesus.

Why is he putting in that money? Perhaps because he lost control (yes, can you believe it) of finances at the club and has had to put money in to stop the situation getting worse and for us to do a Leeds.

And why might we do a Leeds?

Well, he lost control of the finances, threw money, took out a loan and then when that became too much, way way way along the road, he withdrew all money, sold our best players and didn't give the money to replace them with quality.

And how did he fix this?

He put a manager in charge who had been out of English football for a long time and who had suffered a heart attack and had previously fallen out with big Ego's - and of course, Villa have a lot of those. So, after selling Milner and not giving the money for a decent replacements and by purchasing no players that summer causing the manager to walk (MON) we found ourselves in the shit and nearly relegated, so he had no choice but to pay out £18m for a striker - because relegation would have meant a chance of us going out of business, because our finances were so shit.

Why were the finances shit?

Perhaps because he lost control (yes, can you believe it) of finances at the club and has had to put money in to stop the situation getting worse and for us to do a Leeds.

And why might we do a Leeds?

Well, he lost control of the finances, threw money, took out a loan and then when that became too much, way way way along the road, he withdrew all money, sold our best players and didn't give the money to replace them with quality.

And how did he fix this?

He put a manager in charge who has been relegated twice and also finished third in a two horse race and then had to put more money in to stabilise the club because the finances were shit.

And why are the finances so shit?

does look pretty bleak doesn't it. If Benteke was Plan A and Genk are doing everything to scupper the deal, Bony move blocked, Dempsey a red herring then who are we actually playing to sign.

i'm not happy with signing a load of lower league youngsters, not because these are bad moves but because as things stands we need an more immediate solution to a team that have relegation written all over them.

Like a man running for a bus and missing it, Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is doing a good impression of pretending he never wanted Clint Dempsey in the first place. Lambert insists he has faith in hungry and young players from lower divisions to revive the club's fortunes. Lambert said: "It is my decision. Football decisions are mine and I will take responsibility on everything. I know from experience if you don't have the hunger as a footballer, then there is no point in playing the game. With people from the lower leagues, you are giving people opportunities. I have total confidence in them to go and do the business. You trust them to go and do it and they are hungry to do it.

Atleast our club won't be full of prima-donnas who dont want to be there.

Of course we have money.

Lerner is rich, he has just gained $1 billion and our wage bill is at a fairly low level.

For what ever reason, we are not prepared to spend a decent amount of money on improving an incredibly weak squad.

Lerner might be rich but the club isnt. He doesnt have to spend millions of his own money just so he can please some gobshite on the internet. The money he got from the Browns is his money not Villa's money.

The sense of entitlement among people here is amazing.

I bet you were dead against the £ sign protest to doug weren't you.

I think the pathetic acceptance is more amazing than people who want to see their team as more than just one that fights relegation.

No and I was lucky enough to see the initial discussions of that protest and see it take off.

The £ signs was a demonstration of Ellis treating the clubs money as his own and not spending it on a player. Note this because you fail to grasp it THE CLUBS MONEY.

The Club currently has NO MONEY to throw around on overpriced players such as say Sunderland are doing and we did under ONeil. Sunderland will do well the next couple of season and then stall as they cant manipulate their squad as the players they initially brought in cant be sold or go for peanuts. Their squad will just get bigger and lot os player will be sitting it out but on big wages. Sound Familar.

You are moaning constantly because Lerner is not putting his OWN MONEY on the line. He can spend his own money however he wants. Say he could give it all to the Arts if he wants because it is his own money. Villa does not have a right or entitlement to Lerner's own money.

He has already put more money into the club than any other owner before him.

I dont know how old you are but Football Clubs used to generate their own tranfer funds by buying and selling sometimes their best players.

In Villa's history the club was doomed cause they sold Gidman and Gray and bought some donkey called Withe.

Big Ron took the decision to sell Platt (At teh time one of the Worlds most wanted Players) to Italy to fund and enable him to bring in 6 odd players to revamp the squad.

Brian Little went for Les Ferdinand in his first summer after just missing relegation. We got turned down and he said he sat down and decided to use the money on several cheaper players and raise the standard across the team rather than one big name player.

Gregory was forced to Sell Yorke but we was able to go out and bring Dublin and Merson in, which improved the team more than Yorke staying.

Lerner owes Villa Nothing. It is a bonus he is still suppyling us with some money to buy players but for the club to be sustainable we need to be able to fund transfer within our own turnover not out of someones deep pocket.

Well, looks like we are looking at the lower leagues then, from bbc...

1311:

Like a man running for a bus and missing it, Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is doing a good impression of pretending he never wanted Clint Dempsey in the first place. Lambert insists he has faith in hungry and young players from lower divisions to revive the club's fortunes. Lambert said: "It is my decision. Football decisions are mine and I will take responsibility on everything. I know from experience if you don't have the hunger as a footballer, then there is no point in playing the game. With people from the lower leagues, you are giving people opportunities. I have total confidence in them to go and do the business. You trust them to go and do it and they are hungry to do it.

Atleast our club won't be full of prima-donnas who dont want to be there.

and won't mind playing in the Championship as much