Are we overachieving?

villa89

Are We Over Achieving?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Are We Over Achieving?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

Of course we are over achieving, we have a very small squad of ( apart from one or two) very average players. Not much has changed in the squad department from last year, but I am delighted we are over achieving! :lol:

I disagree and I still think there is more to come - what we all have to remember is that in the summer of 2005 almost everyone agreed that our squad was stronger and that we could challenge for a spot in europe]/b], then DOL tottaly lost it and we almost went down.

Er no, I certainly don't remember that

It was mostly split 50-50, between those who thought 6-10th and those who went for the bottom half.

The signing of Baros & Bouma caused some people to change and opt for the top half.

But, without doubt, 'everyone' didn't agree we'd challenge for Europe.

If you don't think we're overachieveing at the moment, then surely this is quite a similar view to TRL who thinks we are performing "as expected" or that that things have been "average"?

That's where the manager comes in. TRL seems to think we'd be doing just as well under any old tom, dick or harry.

Trickie.

I'm a tad confused.

If you don't think we're overachieveing at the moment, then surely this is quite a similar view to TRL who thinks we are performing "as expected" or that that things have been "average"?

Not really

You see the subtle difference as I see it is that I am thrilled by what we are achieving this season. TRL does not appear to be and anyway he is not prepared to give credit now, prefering to wait until the season is over.

Yes we did crap last year and yes this season is a lot better because they are performing to their capabilities. I am thrilled that we have a manager able to get the best out of the players. Thats the difference in viewpoint I think.

Guest VillaFan1

No we are not i,d say were where we should be a scouse fan even said we got a good chance on saturday.

And he even said we,l be in europe come the end of the season just shows the respect level has gone up for us :)

I'd say we're overachieving at the moment, but the lead has been removed from the dog of expectation and it's catching up quickly.

I didn't think that this squad would be able to produce this run, but now that it has, and with MON in charge, I'm starting to expect it to achieve what I previously thought would be beyond it.

I think we're overachieving as a team, and starting to fulfill our potential as a club.

Well, the term "over-achieving" is subjective obviously, in its literal sense how can you over achieve? But IMO this squad, based on my opinion of their abilities, will finish the season closer to their position last year, than where they are now.

/agree

Trickie.

I'm a tad confused.

Not really

You see the subtle difference as I see it is that I am thrilled by what we are achieving this season. TRL does not appear to be and anyway he is not prepared to give credit now, prefering to wait until the season is over.

Yes we did crap last year and yes this season is a lot better because they are performing to their capabilities. I am thrilled that we have a manager able to get the best out of the players. Thats the difference in viewpoint I think.

Fair doo's Trickie.

I think as you suggest here and DDID says, TRL seems to be of the belief that ANY manager would have acheived a similar start to the season, and hence in his view we're not overachieving.

I believe this to be a very odd viewpoint with little evidence to support it.

I'm in the camp that believes the very good start we have had is almost entirely down to MON and the fact he is now getting the very best out of a small squad of decent to good premiership players.

I didn't expect to be 7th at this point, which is why i opted to say "overachieving", but i can see both sides of this.

"Exceeding my expectations at this point" would sum my position up on this.

Trickie.

I'm a tad confused.

Not really

Tbh Richard i think you should get your facts straight. Ive made posts where i have been happy or thrilled. Simply because i find drawing home to Fulham and almost losing to Leicester worthy of some discussion, does not make me special. Its bloody amazing how people cant accept constructive critcisme when Villa play shite.

Ive given MON credit when ive been impressed, got a problem with that?

I might think the Lerner effect has a lot more to say then most people, and i might be one of those who realises 38 draws wont make you shit. Take your pick.

And i suggest those who has a problem with my opinions actually try to convince me of their view, and stop their sarcy eye-rolling comments.

Of course they are overachieving compared to last season, but then you'd expect a new manager with a squad where most of the better quality members are fitter than before to so do.

As other managers have shown given some decent players he will get better results compared to his predecessor.

In some respects, considering the wonder that is O'Neill, some results could be said to have been underachievements, especially of late.

As said already, its about perspective, and perception of fans, we are frequently advised to enjoy the ride and question not, O'Neill himself has been surprised and expects a crash soon, can't see it being tomorrow though

The word over-achieving should never be associated with any club, never mind a club who has won the European Cup. We are seventh in the league - no great boast. If fans and players are to consider this as over-achieving then the club has no hope. I bet you Martin O'Neill believes we are actually under-achieving, even though he will not say this publically obviously. I think he and the team expected to win against fulham and spurs. That's 4 points dropped, not two gained. The players have to believe that the team is capable of great things - and this is what o'neill is a master at - instilling confidence and self-belief in players. On the villa web-page alone this season o'neill has publically praised Mellberg, Laursen, Ridgewell, McCann, Barry, Petrov, Angel, Agbonlahor and Luke Moore. Why - to boost morale & make the players believe in their abilty. But he also hints that although the players are doing well, they still can all improve and achieve greater things.

When ManU or Chelsea are ten points clear at the top do they comtemplate the possibility of an over-achievement having occured? No way, the sky's the limit, and this is the way it has to be at villa.

Â