So, we swapped our gas & power provider...

Xann

Hot showers (although it's electric shower, does that make a difference)

Heating on for about 5 or 6 hours a day during the week (2 in the morning before work and 3ish when i get home) and longer on the weekend.

Put it this way, I never think "Oh I need to turn that off to save money" or "I'll just put an extra jumper on instead of the heating"

If I want it on, it's on. And yeah, £70 a month gas and electric

I live on my own and my electric/gas is £130 a month!

How?

Do you have your heating and lights on all day?

In the depths of winter when I'd have heating for a few hours a day and obviously a lot of lights on etc, mine only ever went up to £70 ish

2 of us in a house, and £120/month average across the year.

Not sure how you can get it for £25/month average, or £70/month during peak winter, unless your house is freezing all the time, and you don't have hot showers.

did you not see my post I made in the winter about how cold my flat was but that I refused to put the heating on cuz I'm a tight fisted bastard lol

I read the meter and send the readings to British gas online and get Nectar points so its always up to date

This.. Cant beat it.

Maybe you can. I moved to First Utility who are a shade cheaper than BG (they seem to track a few percent below) and I was doing the monthly meter read thing. Now they've fitted me a smart meter that reads itself.

Oh, mercy, power companies. I called my power company (e-on) on April 24 asking how long our period of notice was as we were moving to a house and I wanted to close our power subscription to the old apartment as soon as we had cleaned it out. "No worries, you have a 24h period of notice, so if you call when you are done cleaning, the subscription will be turned of no later than 24h after that call". Awesome I though, and yesterday I called them back as we had cleaned everything out and wanted to close the sub. "Sorry, there's a 30 day period of notice". WTF! Apparently they had changed all contracts after I called the first time, so I would have to pay for all power used while my old land lord renovated the apartment. I went ballistic. **** leeches! And get this, in a fit of fury I TRANSFERRED THE SUBSCRIPTION TO MY LAND LORD. All I had to do was supply e-on with their company identidfier, which is public information and I could have them pay for it, no questions asked. I could have used anyone's social security number and claimed that they were the next tenants. o_O

And Stevo985 is spot on. It really is their job, but they don't have the incentive to use remotely read meters and sending people out is too expensive, yet the would do it they genuinely cared and valued quality. I've done some development work for a large power supplier (involving meter readings and self readings among other things) and they really are some of the greediest companies I've come across.

YEah. What I meant by "I know why they do it" is in theory, it should make it cheaper for us.

It cuts costs. They don't have to send as many people out to check meters so they don't need to pay as many staff. Therefore they should pass those savings on to the customer.

But you just know that they don't. They keep those savings for themselves.

Incidentally, my uncle genuinely (I've heard him do it) tells the energy companies that he'll submit his own meter readings if they pay him £10 each time he does it.

Obviously they don't do it, and end up sending someone to do it. But it's quite amusing (I don't care enough to take it that far but it seems to entertain him)

Â