So, we swapped our gas & power provider...

Xann

We've just balanced the account with the previous supplier, EDF.

After a couple of years of guesstimated bills, the cheeky sods owe us a grand.

Xann towers is quite modest, the degree of inaccuracy was frankly ridiculous and probably deliberate.

The Co-op are undercutting them by hundreds a year and they're slightly more ethically sound.

British Gas do the same (although as ROb suggests, if I was more up to date on my meter readings then maybe they wouldn't be)

Happy to sit on your money. Then I claimed my rebate back at the end of last year and got a letter last week saying they were upping my payments because I was using more energy, not taking into account that we're just coming up to "summer" where I won't need to use nearly as much.

I **** hate EDF

I called them yesdterday to register my account with them seeings how it was in my flatmates name before and they are telling me that paying via direct debit will cost me £80 a month going on the previous tennants bills, absolute nonsence

I have just checked the account online (the previous one from when it was in my flatmates name) and it is saying that £390 is owed to them dating back to august 2010

bollocks I have just spoke to me mate and he said he just wont pay it because the account was all up to date

If you believe it's your flatmate's responsibility to pay, and he won't then flat out refuse to pay EDF. If you're registering the account under the new name then surely the previous account holder's outstanding bill is his responsibility and not yours.

If I moved into a new property and they tried to charge me for a previous tenants unpaid bill then I'd tell them to go whistle.

What they usually do is base it on his bills and doubt very much if you they are trying to get you to pay his bill. I have been in the situation where I thought the monthly amount was unfair but paid it and on the second quarter they reduced it and gave me a refund.

sorry I mite not have been all that clear in my last post

yeah the £80 a month is based on the previous tenants estimated bills which is nonsence because I was living here then and between the 2 of us we would pay about £25 a month during the summer and about £100 in the winter

we completely paid off all money owed to EDF last month and now they are trying to hit my mate for near enough £400 which just cant be right as we were completely up to date, that bill is all in my mates name anyway and he said he just wont pay it so that doesn't bother me lol

when I bought my first house we were financially on our arses for a few years

one day we had a knock on the door and were told that soon all the meters in our little area were being changed and could we make sure we were in on one of a few specified days.

The day came, the new meter was installed, set on all zeros.

The next time a bill came it was accompanied by a letter pointing out our meter reading was only 'x' but our previous bill had presumed 'y' - please don't let it get so overpaid again, here's a cheque for £2,000

We kept that money parked in a bank account for a whole year expecting them to spot their own mistake. Never did, £2,000 in 1990 was a significant stash. Spent it in the end on drugs and loose women (or was it furniture? I forget now).

I live on my own and my electric/gas is £130 a month!

How?

Do you have your heating and lights on all day?

In the depths of winter when I'd have heating for a few hours a day and obviously a lot of lights on etc, mine only ever went up to £70 ish

I live on my own and my electric/gas is £130 a month!

How?

Do you have your heating and lights on all day?

In the depths of winter when I'd have heating for a few hours a day and obviously a lot of lights on etc, mine only ever went up to £70 ish

2 of us in a house, and £120/month average across the year.

Not sure how you can get it for £25/month average, or £70/month during peak winter, unless your house is freezing all the time, and you don't have hot showers.

Â